Introductions

Options
Welcome! Please introduce yourself.

Replies

• Hi! My name is Melissa, author of The-Fitness-Walking-Guide.com.

I started fitness walking after my first baby was born eight years ago. He was an extremely fussy baby and the only thing that would calm him down was walking outside. I walked a lot during that time! I found that it was very relaxing for me to walk, though. I enjoyed the fresh air, being outside and having time to think. It was almost meditative for me. And, I was able to walk off the baby weight that I had gained.

Since then, I've used fitness walking to maintain my weight. But I also use walking as a way to relax and get centered again. I use the time to think through my day and plan for the future. I get my best thinking done while I'm out on a walk!

I now have three little boys, a husband and a dog. I work from home and enjoy adding useful information to The-Fitness-Walking-Guide.com.
  • rkellon
    rkellon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Becky,

I started walking to get exercise. I live in a fairly rural area so gyms are very expensive and walking was free besides I got some time to myself and my music. What I found out is that I enjoy walking it gives me a sense of accomplishment and I'm a nicer person when I get home to my family.

The other thing I found out about working is great stress reliever I get up in the morning and I go early because when it was very hot right now but I've always enjoyed their time a day when the day is new and everything is quiet.

I've joined a couple different groups I'm hoping this when stays together for a while because I enjoyed the support we give each other and the tips that we can share.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Melinda; Mom of 3 grown children and 1 grandson. Walking has always been my favorite exercise! Thank you for starting this group - I'll check into your website. Happy walking, everyone!
  • Welcome Melinda and Becky! It's so nice to have you here.

Becky, I feel the same way you do about walking. It's so much more than exercise to me. It's nice to meet others who feel the same!
  • MargaretWalks
    MargaretWalks Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Margaret and I am 66 years old and I live in Hermiston Oregon. I've been walking for quite a few years now and I have walked not only here at home but I have also walked in Botswana. I am unable to run for more than just a little bit because I've had both knees replaced and I find walking much more enjoyable.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hi...I am Eava. I am trying to get into a regular exercise routine. My husband has been walking regularly...I can see the benefits! Thanks to Melinda for inviting me to join this group. I look forward to getting active again.:smile:
  • Poedaughter7
    Poedaughter7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great group idea, I love walking and using step counters for fitness.
  • Hi,
    Walking is the only exercise I've ever done consistently. Currently, I live in Hawaii and walk along a beachfront sidewalk 3 miles 3-4 times per week. I go early in the morning because it gets hot here quickly once the sun comes up. I began using the Map My Walk app and now I find myself trying to beat my time. At 55, I want to make sure I can keep on walking as I age. Keep moving so I can keep moving!
    Mary Ellen
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello all....my name is Denny.
    A few months ago I seem to have had an epiphany, mostly I think from a visit to "the other side" during a heart attack a year and a half ago. As a result of the heart attack I quit smoking (20 months ago), which was something that always was in the way of any desire to improve my fitness. Diet and exercise are moot when you're still doing probably the single worst thing for your body you can do, but now with that behind me, I've turned over a new leaf so to speak.

Growing up, walking for me was a way of life. I walked a tick over a half-mile to school in the morning, home for lunch, back after lunch and again at the end of the school day. That was 2 miles/day, 9 months/yr. In addition, I spent ALL my time outside, "running the streets" as my mother referred to it. I was a very active kid, to the extent, I was skinny...unable to put on weight. My mother would send my brother and I down the street each night after dinner to the Dairy Queen to get ice cream to try and put weight on us. Enjoyed the ice cream, but couldn't put on an ounce.

I have 70# to lose to get back to my college weight. I know from past experience, that won't come from diet alone.

I'm 66 yrs. old and retired. When I retired I bought an RV to travel the country full-time. So, unlike many of you mothers, without multiple munchkins I have a lot of peace and "me-time", but still enjoy walking....especially when the weather is a little cooler.

My original goal was simple, based on most of the research that says, 30 minutes of walking, three times a week has huge health benefits. With that in mind, I took off from a friends on a 30 minute walk. I planned to walk "out", 15 minutes and "back"...accomplishing my 30 minutes. It wasn't to be however....I made it 10 minutes when I began to feel a twinge in my lower back, but I persevered....at 13 minutes....that was it. My plan of 15 mins. out and 15 back had turned into 13 minutes out, and an 18 minute, erect crawl back.

Once back at my friends and sitting, my back was fine again in 3 to 5 minutes. I had just tweaked a long unused muscle. I reasoned that I now knew I could walk 10 minutes, I would do just that....twice-a-day. After several weeks I shifted to 15 mins. a stretch, then 20 etc., until I was up to 1 hr. at a stretch, with hills involved. So....for the first time in my life, I could honestly say I actually could see improvement in both my capability and how I felt.

I've never been a morning person. Since beginning my walking program....I'm in bed at a reasonable hour and sleep fitfully through the night, waking rested when the sun is rising. I get dressed and I'm out the door immediately before I have time to come up with an excuse for not walking and while it's still relatively cool outside.

I currently try to do a brisk walk for at least an hour each day, 7 days a week....in part to burn calories, and in part for the cardio benefits. I recently had a followup stress echo test on my heart. After my heart attack, one of the chambers was only working at 30% efficiency....my latest test showed that had increased to 45%, so with just 4 months, through a combination of no smoking and cardio walking I'd gained back 15% of my heart. So, for those who doubt the benefits of walking....in a word. DON'T.

Because of my heart attack, I get monitored, so I can readily see gains....but the rest of you should know, that while you can't maybe feel, or see the changes.....just know, they are happening.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • Welcome everyone! So nice to meet you all. Denny, thanks for sharing your inspiring story. Please keep up us updated on your progress.
  • Lorsmith44
    Lorsmith44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am a mother of two children who are now in college. (so I am new to the empty nest) I decided that now is the time to get moving. I have walked on and off for the last 15 years as a form of exercise, but I never used a tracking site before like My Fitness Pal so I am hoping that I will have some others to chat with about accomplishments and the inevitable human setbacks from time to time.

I am glad there are groups on here who participate in the same activities as me! :)

It is nice to cyber-meet you. :)
  • Janie11141980
    Options
    Hi, My name is Trisha and 33 years old and overweight. I have tried this before and lost 30 lbs. sadly I gained some back but I am ready to shed this weight..
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will be 63 at the end of September. My profile shows me starting in July of 2014, but I had an issue with someone here and deleted my account of over 2 years and started a new one under a new name. I was morbidly obese when I joined MFP 3/12/12. I lost 90# before I even began to walk in October 2012. It was difficult to even walk up stairs without becoming out of breath. In February of 2013 I got a fit bit. It is the best motivator I have to get me moving. I walk everyday. M-F I use the gym at work (using the elliptical and treadmill mostly and light weight training) and take a walk when I get home in the evening. We live in the country on 10 acres, 7 of which are rolling wooded hills. I have a route I take in the woods that is 2 miles up and down steep hills. I usually do three walks on Saturday and Sunday, only one M-F. My walks, in our woods, register 30 staircases (1 staircase for every 10' of elevation) on my fitbit. I live in Minnesota and I walk even on sub-zero days here. MFP and my fit bit have at the very least extended my life. I am very grateful to MFP.

Melissa, thank you for starting this group here. I have visited your website and have bookmarked it. It looks like there is a lot of great information on your site and look forward to becoming familiar with it.

Now that I am in the best shape I have been in in over 30 years, I am extremely happy to have found your site and this group.

I love walking now and it is definitely my exercise of choice!

p.s. my avatar is a photo from our back deck. Our woods that I so love to walk in.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,371 Member
    Options
    I'm Chris. I walked off 60 pounds eight years ago and have managed to keep it off, for the most part, for the eight years. I struggle with 5 - 7 pounds every now and then...this just happens to be one of those times. I'm up 7 pounds and need to get rid if it. I am a stress, sad, happy, bored, excited eater. :tongue: I love walking and have gotten my DH and DD to walk with me lately. My DD is getting married in December, so I have to be at my best.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hello, Was happy to see this group and decided to join. My name is Nancy and I am 62. I have enjoyed walking for a while and due to the heat, have to walk on the treadmill during the hot summer months...and fortunately, it should be cooling down enough soon to walk outdoors. I have a fitbit flex and this has been great for counting steps and being in challenges. I would like to get back to what i did this summer which is a walk, then about a minute or two jog, back to a walk. Not sure my knees will hold up, but here's hoping! I will visit your website later today Melissa. I am walking not only to lose weight, but also to for the cardio benefits too. Looking forward to participating in this group of walkers!:smile:
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Jeff, 51. I walk 25-30 miles/week. Weight training with a personal trainer 3 days/week.
  • Welcome everyone! So nice to meet you all!
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, my name is faye, I just started walking now y little one is in playgroup for 2 and a half hours a day, I take my dog Lola-Rose who is a staffordshire bull terrier and I mostly go to nearby feilds and just walk around for a little bit. I don't drive so if I do need to go anywhere I mostly go by foot so I'm hoping now I won't have a buggy to push around with me I can push mysel a little bit. I used to be a very fast walker so I would like to get my speed back up to improve my health. Looking for friends on here to get me motivated. I'm from the UK :)
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Vicki from the UK, I walk everywhere as I don't drive, I really enjoy walking but have failed to find a walking group locally that I can join so it'll be great to chat with walkers online
  • handbagfan
    handbagfan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hello, :smile:
    Just found this group. I live in the UK and am almost 54 I have been with MFP since April and love it. I have found recently that I enjoy walking outdoors and have also discovered Leslie Sansone for my indoor walks.
    Thanks for the group .:happy: