What are you doing to prepare for the 2014-2015 season?

CarrieBeard
CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
Anyone else out there starting to prepare for the upcoming hunting season? Mississippi's Archery Season opens Oct. 1.
Lock-on stands have been checked and ready to hang. Trying to shoot my bow everyday.... I would like to continue to increase my arrow speed. (220 fps currently)...
What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Replies

• missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    I will see if I can still handle the draw weight that I'm set at, 50 lbs. Haven't done much due to the shoulder thing. I may have to drop it back to 42 our minimum weight for deer, and readjust my sight which I hate messing around with. I guess I better try to start doing some high rep bent-over rows and try to work my way back to lifting 60 lbs. to get in shape so I won't have to re adjust! I do plan to go shotgun for fall turkey and rifle for deer if we still have a place to go. The land we leased is being sold due to a death in the family so not sure if the new owners will lease back to our group. If not, there is a lot of public land up by our cabin that allows bow and shotgun for turkey. So I will need to do some hiking and scouting up there. We usually go to the range about 2 weeks before the season opens and check that our rifle sights are still on.
  • CarrieBeard
    I just saw your post...I have been "trying" to increase poundage and shot everyday... well... getting in a round every other day or so.. I have worked up to about 20 shots at 60#'s... big improvement from last yr. I agree... I hate adjusting my pins...

Keep at it... and good luck!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    My husband is going to buy me a bow for my birthday however I have no arm muscles so I'm going to have to work really hard to be able to pull the draw weight for a deer....I will not be bow hunting for a while...however....got my bear tag so will start with that and do rifle season for deer in November!!!

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my arms for pulling draw weight? Totally different muscles that don't get used regularly!
  • CarrieBeard
    Practice , Practice, Practice... this is what I did to go from pulling 28 lbs to 60lbs, in a very short time. The real PLUS is my shooting really improved .. much tighter arrow groups. Good luck!
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    squats and lunges shooting my bow. getting ready to call in my daughters first elk in 2015. idk whos more excited, her or me.
  • CarrieBeard
    dukslayer.... How's the elk hunting going? Good Luck!
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Your arm strength isn't as important as your back strength is. I have not shot a compound bow in many years. I shoot a long bow with no sights. If you check out 3 rivers archery they sell trainers to make you stronger. Remember pull with your back like your trying to crush a grape with your shoulder blades. If your using your arm and shoulder you will increase chances of a shoulder injury.
  • CarrieBeard
    Great advise about using your back!