Pork Rinds...

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I made a high fat tuna fish salad last night. Tuna packed in Olive oil, a lot of Kraft Mayo (no sugar), onions, celery, olives w/pimento (I think they call them cocktail olives). Season salt & pepper.

Before I discovered LCHF diet, I would of bought low fat tuna packed in water, used Miracle Whip (added sugar). Then I would of either: 1) put it on white bread or 2) Used a whole pack of Krispy crackers. A high carb, high grain meal.

So last night I made the tuna fish salad and didn't have anything to put it on. I heard that fried pork rinds are a good substitute for crackers. I tried it and it was GREAT!

Is there a low carb bread that you would recommend? I am trying to stay under 40g carbs @ day.

Thank you for any help you may give me....

Dan from Michigan

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the low carb breads and I stick to 20g of carbs. One that I used to eat when I was not as restrictive was the Josephs Pita breads (4 net carbs). They sell them at BJ's, Wal-mart... here is the website https://www.josephsbakery.com

BTW, you can also use pork rinds to dip in your egg salad, guacamole or as croutons in soup.... yummy
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Thank you Latina... I will visit them and try it. Since I was a carboholic for 57 years, its hard to switch from grains. I was so proud of myself yesterday. At work a vendor brought in some chocolate covered donuts. I resisted. Before LCHF, I would of eaten 3 of them... (no wonder I weigh over 300 lbs). LOL!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the low carb breads and I stick to 20g of carbs. One that I used to eat when I was not as restrictive was the Josephs Pita breads (4 net carbs). They sell them at BJ's, Wal-mart... here is the website https://www.josephsbakery.com

BTW, you can also use pork rinds to dip in your egg salad, guacamole or as croutons in soup.... yummy

I buzz them in my food processor and use them as breading on fish, chicken, chops...etc.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Mission makes a low carb tortilla you may want to look into.

Also, lettuce/greens are your friend. Make a big plate of greens and put the tuna salad on top and chow down.

You are doing well, and I can hear the enthusiasm in your posts.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really can't personally touch grains secondary to my own issues, but The Great Low Carb Bread Company is supposed to make some wonderful stuff. I haven't seen it in stores anyplace, but I know there are places you can order it online.
    There's also a "Joseph's Lavash Bread" that is popular and reportedly available at some Walmarts... though not at mine.
    I'd given thought to trying out these as 'wraps': http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

I've used just a big lettuce leaf to wrap food in to do a 'sandwich'.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I love Joseph's Pita bread. I always have it in my fridge/freezer for when I need to have low carb bread. They are awesome!
  • dcristo213
    Options
    By the way, after reading all your posts, I just had to run out to the store to pick up some pork rinds (never knew they had ZERO carbs). OMG, they were awesome!!
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    By the way, after reading all your posts, I just had to run out to the store to pick up some pork rinds (never knew they had ZERO carbs). OMG, they were awesome!!
    They're supposed to work well for "breading" things if you grind them up.
    Check your bags though because some of the flavored pork rinds DO contain carbs (BBQ and some other flavors).

I try to get Rudolph's brand of plain pork rinds (due to availability) because they don't add MSG - and I am sensitive to it.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would just put it on lettuce...I'd also sub mashed avocado for the mayo.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just ran out to the store too :laugh: I bought a bag of pork rinds and a bag of cracklins made by Tropical Fantasy. I thought there was a bunch of processed stuff in packaged pork rinds but it only lists pork and salt. I also thought the sodium would be high but the rinds are 270 and the cracklins 300 - not too bad. If there was MSG in it, would it be listed somewhere. I do not know if I am sensitive, but I try to avoid it.

I had to go to five stores to find them. They used to sell in in the lobby of my building but no more. That would have been very convenient. I have some pork fat (not the skin) at home that I was going to render and try to make them. I did this with chicken skin and made schmaltz and gribenes last week - so yummy!!

Thanks for this topic!!!
  • dcristo213
    Options
    Ok, so I just ate a whole bag of pork skins (Baken-ets Hot'n'Spicy Chicharones)....490 Calories, 32g Fat, 49g Protein....but best of all....0 Carbs.
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    dcristo213: Good for you!
    I've seen people make nachos with pork rinds, too!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I plan on using them with my artichoke dip from the fat fast book during football on sunday. yum yum
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I plan on using them with my artichoke dip from the fat fast book during football on sunday. yum yum

Nill-I just pulled my fat fast book and did not find that recipe! I want some artichoke dip to dip my pork rinds in :sad:

Please share!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ aeb09

I looked at your site for the Zuchinni fries. It looks so awesome! Both the recipe AND your website...

I am going to try them out as soon as I go off my water fast.

Thank you for sharing that...

Keep up the good work...!

Dan the Man

P.S. I did subscribe to your blog. And I will look at the rest of your site.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Dan! I am glad you liked the recipe - those fries are so easy and super delicious. Let me know what you think when you do try them!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes. :-)
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making some Oopsie Rolls? They work great with sandwich fillings. Completely Atkins / keto compliant.

http://yourlighterside.com/2009/05/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/