September 13

Options
Hey gang, how's everyone doing today? Good I hope. Anything fun planned for today? Nothing here. I have some reading to catch up on, some reviews to write, catch up on my blog and maybe clean a little in this apartment. So hard to keep things clean with a 16 year old, a dog and 2 cats, not to mention a partner who doesn't exactly know how to pick up after himself. Well actually he does but he prefers I do it, lol.

So who has surgeries coming up or just had one? Anything we can do to help or a question you need answered? All you have to do is holler.

Been trying to think of a way to keep everyone involved and active. Would hate to see this group fade out like so many others I have been a part of because this is a fantastic idea for a group. One of the other groups I'm in has a daily topic (and anyone can start it). Do you think that would be a good idea. Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Here's a conversation generator for today: what ONE new habit are you forming that will facilitate your weight loss goals? (I know we're all probably forming multiple habits, but describe your most important.) What challenges are you experiencing? What successes have you experienced?

Replies

• mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Here's a conversation generator for today: what ONE new habit are you forming that will facilitate your weight loss goals? (I know we're all probably forming multiple habits, but describe your most important.) What challenges are you experiencing? What successes have you experienced?

I'll start. One habit I am working real hard on right now is finding alternate "treats." I am someone who loves my sweets, especially chocolate. That's one reason I chose the RNY........for the dumping. I wanted a huge "slap on the hand" if I ate something wrong. My biggest mistake was testing my dumping with someone sweet. Man was I pissed when I didn't dump!!!! I still occasionally dump (kinda like playing Russian roulette) but most of the time I don't. Since obviously those kind of foods are not what I need to be eating, I've been working hard on finding things that satisfy that need for sweet but is good for me and doesn't make me dump. I've been trying to keep plenty of fruit in the house. I've also become quite the master in making protein shakes that give me the feeling of eating a shake. I haven't had a "sweet" in almost 2 weeks!!

Dee in St. Louis
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Dee, do you take calcium. Viactiv Calcium chews in chocolate work for me. it is (almost) like having two pieces of chocolate candy a day. the other sweet treat I love is sugar free Worther's original candy. Love them. try making protein shakes with frozen almond milk instead of ice and almond milk instead of water. it makes them creamier and thicker - more like a milkshake. you can also add vanilla or peanut butter or fruit to them change up the flavor.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I take my calcium. That's mandatory. What kind of calcium does Viactiv have? I thought they had calcium carbonate. With the RNY you can't take calcium carbonate. My body only absorbs the calcium citrate. I can't remember what kind of surgery you had. If you had a surgery where malabsorption isn't a problem and you can do the calcium carbonate, I just recently sampled Caltrate's Gummy Bites and they were really good. The orange ones taste like that candy called Orange slices. Unfortunately, I can't take them. I occasionally do the sugar free Worther's but I have to be very careful because of the sugar alcohol......it gives me diarrhea if I have too much of it.

As for the protein shakes those are awesome ideas. I have many different recipes that I love. One of my favorites lately consists of: almond milk, vanilla protein powder, chocolate PB2, a couple Tbls of banana cream sugar free jello pudding powder, and a frozen banana. It comes out nice and thick and is really filling. You can be so creative with protein shakes. I think that's why I like them so much.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.