Pork Rinds...

Options

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Although I just usually put something like that on a pile of lettuce or greens or just eat it straight, if I want a more sandwich like meal I make up microwave flaxseed flat bread, as it only takes a couple of minutes to make, and almost all the carbs in it are fiber. Here is a link to a recipe for it. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1900264 You can also add different herbs and spices to it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Thank you 17JayR, I am going to get the ingredients and make it. Looked like a really easy recipe.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    @MistressPi

Although the recipe looks yummy, there is way too much time and work to create that dish. As soon as I saw, separating eggs, using a mixer, whipping something that was a liquid into something "stiff", then folding things together... I'll leave that to people that are retired or work at home. I like easy recipes.

Thanks for posting it...

Dan the Man
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I make my own mayo with this recipe -- http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/ -- quick, easy, delicious, and best of all - it ditches the canola and soy oils for better oils (avocado, olive, macadamia, etc).

As for the tuna, I just make it up like I used to (tuna, mayo, mustard, onion or onion powder, etc), and just eat it out of a bowl. Who needs all this wrap, bread, cracker stuff, anyway? :wink:
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For sandwich bread, I use Flat Out Fold It Flatbread. I buy it at Walmart. There's different kinds but if you get the 100% whole wheat with flax, there's 8 net carbs. Not as great tasting as regular bread (it helps if you like wheat bread, and I prefer white), but it works. I've also used the regular Flat Out Flatbread as a pizza crust.

I've never heard of pork rinds used as crackers. I'm going to have to try that. I like a whole package of saltines in my chili :)
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    By the way, after reading all your posts, I just had to run out to the store to pick up some pork rinds (never knew they had ZERO carbs). OMG, they were awesome!!

Where can I get these in the USA as over this weekend? I live in the UK and I can 100% say we don't have anything like this unless they are similar to pork scratchings....anyone know ? Tres excited to try these :)))

http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/crispy-zucchini-fries/ .....superb blog, you have a new fan
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    GG,

These are the same as pork scratching in the UK. In the US, they sell pork rinds or crackins. The rinds are lighter, the cracklins more dense as they are fried with some skin in addition to the rind. I prefer the pork rinds.

They are sold in most supermarkets, but I get mine from a drugstore that sells food or gas station marts.

TQ
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    GG,

These are the same as pork scratching in the UK. In the US, they sell pork rinds or crackins. The rinds are lighter, the cracklins more dense as they are fried with some skin in addition to the rind. I prefer the pork rinds.

They are sold in most supermarkets, but I get mine from a drugstore that sells food or gas station marts.

TQ

Thanks ToadQueen, heading to NYC tomorrow so will look out and bring a pack or 2 back with me :)
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On pork rinds, I highly recommend this brand called Domingo's Pork Rinds. They are the best I've ever tasted. If you're in Texas and near a Central Market, they sell them there, and I've also heard they are sometimes available Nationally at World Market.

Also, you can order them from their website-
    http://www.gaytanfoods.com/product_details.php?pro_id=30
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    They are also known as chicarrons in Latin American markets or delis which may be your best bet in NYC. I would steer clear of Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I do not think either of these stores carry them. If you are going to the suburbs at all, then Aldi's has their Clancy brand which is very inexpensive.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Because of this post, I went out and bought some pork rinds. They totally fulfill my need for a crunchy snack. I think I will eat them with an artichoke dip for the Broncos game on Sunday. :)
  • sungvars
    sungvars Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like the Joseph's pitas and lavash bread too. Taste great and often use them with my homemade tuna salad for breakfast. Also like hummus or onion dip with my pork rinds.
  • sweetconcern
    sweetconcern Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Coconut Bread
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1/8 teas. lemon juice
    1/8 teas. soda
    1/8 teas. salt
    1/2 cup eggbeaters or 3 eggs
    mix with spoon or whip put 1/2 in a small (sprayed with pam) 8OZ. glass bowl (I use ankorhocking) Cook 1 minute in Microwave let cool for 5 minutes and slice in half better than English muffin. 64 calories (with egg whites) and 1 net carb. Great for our Way Of Eating. For Brown bread add 1 Tbsp. of Flax seed meal. Calories listed with flax. Log as Irma's coconut bread in MFP. Enjoy!
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    By the way, after reading all your posts, I just had to run out to the store to pick up some pork rinds (never knew they had ZERO carbs). OMG, they were awesome!!

Where can I get these in the USA as over this weekend? I live in the UK and I can 100% say we don't have anything like this unless they are similar to pork scratchings....anyone know ? Tres excited to try these :)))

Most grocery stores carry them....try Walmart. Also, most gas station will have them.
    http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/crispy-zucchini-fries/ .....superb blog, you have a new fan
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    me & pork rinds are NOT getting along well...

I don't mind fresh cracklings right out the grease, but actual bagged pork rinds... ugh.

I am going to try them as "nachos" that i seen on pinterest.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I plan on using them with my artichoke dip from the fat fast book during football on sunday. yum yum

Nill-I just pulled my fat fast book and did not find that recipe! I want some artichoke dip to dip my pork rinds in :sad:

Please share!

HI. Sorry...wrong book :/ It was from another of her books :)

1 can artichoke hearts, 1 c mayo (its worth making your own for this), 1 C grated parmesan, 1 clove minced or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic. I toss in extra of this. paprika.

chop the chokes.
    mix the chokes with the mayo, cheese and garlic,combining well
    put in a smallish oven proof dish, sprinkle with a little paprika (i used smoked paprika and it was pretty tasty)
    bake @ 325 for 45 mins.

It gets brownish and bubbly...mmmmm

I usually crush a couple of those pork rinds and sprinkle on top...WHAT!? yum.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I also made sausage balls with 1blocks cr. cheese, 1 tube hot breakfast sausage, 1 C shredded cheddar, and a half bag of crushed pork rinds. mix in the kitchen aid. roll into balls and bake. You could also use a lb of ground turkey or chicken, or beef...or whatever.
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @ aeb09 just bookmarked your blog and pinned a bunch of your recipes to try! They look yummo!