how many calories do you take in each day?

Options
2»

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by staying at or slightly under 1200 calories per day. I have found that if I go over that amount I gain. One of the things I have learned here is that we are all individuals and that what works for one person may not work for someone else. I exercise daily M-F on the elliptical in the gym at work for an hour. I usually take a walk at home in the evening. I have the privilage of living on 10 acres of rolling hills, mostly deciduous woods. We have made trails in the woods over the years and my husband maintains them. A great place for walking and it is up and down hills so it gives me a nice hike. On the weekends I try to walk for at least two hours in our woods. I have a fitbit (my very best motivator to get moving) and make sure I get over 10,000/steps per day. Every 10 feet of elevation gives credit for walking up stairs, so walking the hills adds up to a lot of stair cases.

Hope everyone has much happiness and success on their journeys!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by staying at or slightly under 1200 calories per day. I have found that if I go over that amount I gain. One of the things I have learned here is that we are all individuals and that what works for one person may not work for someone else.

Hi *ktsmom*,

Happy to see you! You are totally right...everyone's experience is different, and when we find what works for us, especially if our energy remains high and we feel healthy...that is what we stick with. I am a sugarholic, and, have limited myself to fresh fruits...and my cravings for junk have dipped. With fresh fruits, I am also learning which fruits are less sugar, and am enjoying those on a regular basis. I used to eat a fresh apple to two a day, but in my log, I noticed how much sugar I was eating...though fresh. I have switched to fresh tangerines in season, now...and the sugar is MUCH less. I also have learned that when we eat NUTRITIOUSLY...we can live on less calories. I have found that when I eat high in carbs, I start to crave...but when I eat a lot of complex carbs, coupled with fiber and protein, I am quite sated. It is just sooo cool to learn more about nutrition.

Your property sounds JUST GORGEOUS! I assume that your profile pic is on your property? Just beautiful, none the less :happy: Your exercise everyday...10K steps is just AWESOME! The elliptical is a challenging piece of equipment, but, I like that you are able to trailblaze..and that your DH maintains those trails. THANK YOU for sharing :)

Happy that you are part of our forum...Please share as you choose. I love walking...and found different trails at our Regional park...that I discovered recently walking by granddog. I am really tempted to get a Fitbit. I can't find my Body Media...and I got it soo many years ago...that the new models are of course much more attractive. Devices *do* give us motivation, right? :happy: And it is motivation that keeps us fit and healthy as we reach or maintain our goals.

Keep on keepin' on!
    Deb :drinker:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since i posted on Sassy Seniors.
    Have to be sure to log those calories and get back in the saddle. Have been eating too many calories these days esp with holiday parties. Hopefully tomorrow I will return the ingredients I bought to bake a cherry pie...don't need it or want it now. Had to buy flour, sugar, canned cherries, Crisco....all going back! Yay me!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hopefully tomorrow I will return the ingredients I bought to bake a cherry pie...don't need it or want it now. Had to buy flour, sugar, canned cherries, Crisco....all going back! Yay me!

Hi Susan, I have not been very good at posting on our forum...but there is ALWAYS a new determination, and wanted to say CONGRATS on your determination...As I read that you are returning cherry pie ingredients, I just admire you for it.

How many calories do I take in each day? When I eat sweets...upward of 1600 (I will also start tracking ALL foods starting today no matter what I eat... I have been naughty...but that is the gift logging)...when eating veggies and being good 1200 barely.

I came across this quote: ": If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse" Two years ago, I found it VERY important to "find a way to challenge a 30 day refined Sugar challenge". It was amazing how great I felt, and how much I lost. I am holding on to that experience as I gear up for the new year and go on the 30 day sugar free challenge once again. We are not getting any younger, (just had a birthday) and I need to especially get back in the saddle and "find a way" to lose the weight I had gained recently. I *will*. I just need to log into MFP everyday and stay encouraged!!

Good Luck,

Hugs, :flowerforyou:
    Deb
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Good for you susanrechter for taking those ingredients back. What a brilliant idea to do that.

How many calories do I take in each day? MFP set me for 1200 when I'm trying to lose (again). I try to eat back my exercise cals. Sometimes I think that my cals might be too low b/c sometimes I'm really hungry late at night when I'm staying up late. But a lot of time when I night time eat it is stress related and probably not truly hungry. Certain foods trigger me to over eat especially when I'm tired and/ orstressed.

This month my goal is to log everything I eat even if I eat at night after closing my diary out. With that goal in mind it made wanting to eat last night not as attractive to me and causing me to be more mindful once again. I'm making myself accountable again with the logging like I used to do. I have really slipped up on logging as accurately as I should again. Or just not logging when I know I'm stress eating.
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    laughing at myself today. looking at balance of calories after lunch I saw 3000 calories. Boy am I in trouble or what? kept looking. oh ty, I had put down 10 cups of chicken noodle soup. Think thin.