Help! I'm stuck!

Options
Mkhoran13
Mkhoran13 Posts: 60 Member
I'm three weeks into c25k and haven't had very much trouble with time increases until now. I was able to complete w3d1 with only a little trouble (had to stop about 30 secs early on the three minute) but I have now attempted to do day w3d2 twice and failed about during the first 3 minute run would attempt to just pick back up at the next run cycle and couldn't do that either. As I do the there and back method I've completed the total time via walking but I don't know what to do. I don't know if it's the double running amount, the weather (summer in Texas), or something else.????

Has this happened to any of you? I've seen other threads about this happening in week 5 and 6 and it's usually from the person convincing themselves that they can't but not in week 3!

Should I just keep pushing for w3d2? Or do I need to repeat week 2?

Any thought would be appreciated. This is really frustrating me as I have a 5k coming up and want to be able to run at least half of it.

Replies

• AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Does slowing down more help?
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 (and a 4.5 with slightly longer intervals) for 3 weeks. You just do what you can and stick to it. I do think running more slowly helps.

I had no trouble on a treadmill when I could set my speed, but could NOT run outside. I downloaded the MapMyRun app and found out I was running significantly faster outside than on the treadmill. No wonder I couldn't breathe or make it through 4 minutes! I've slowed down to a closer-to-the-treadmill pace and finally made it to week 5!

On the podcast I'm using (5K101), he consistently says to check your breathing. If you're breathing too hard, slow down. That's the best advice I've heard.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had to repeat W4D2 at least 3 times. I found out I wasn't breathing correctly. Now that I'm breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth I'm doing much better. I also thought the new compression clothes I was wearing helped a bit. Running outside has helped me get through the runs, but I do tend to run faster. Also cross training has helped.

I understand you want to run through the whole 5K, but I promise you there will be people walking it. I haven't been able to run a 5K yet. I'm currently on W6D1. I started on July 11th. My 3rd 5K will be this weekend on Sunday. I still won't be running the whole thing.
  • Mkhoran13
    Mkhoran13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm good walking a good bit (ie most) of the 5k but I want to run at least some of it, especially since there is a 60 minute time limit. (Boston qualifier starts after the 5k finishes and the city can only shut down the roads for so long).

I can't go any slower any slower and I'm not moving. Funny thing is it's actually easier when running faster I just can't keep it up ????

I will definitely check my breathing and I guess move my next run onto the indoor track.

Thanks for the help!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    A simple test is to speak a short sentence out loud while you are running. If you're huffing, puffing or gasping the sentence out, you are running too fast. Slow down.
    I can relate to feeling as if you can't run any slower.....but you can. You can actually run slower than you walk. No matter how slow you feel you're going, you've got to go slow. Believe me, the speed will come on its own over time. You've got to let your body's different systems (lungs, heart, muscles, tendons, etc) get into sync and that takes a few weeks. After that, things will fall into place and speed will begin to happen.

I know it's frustrating to be told to go slower, but it's probably your answer.

Hang in there. You'll be running 30 minutes in just a few weeks time.