grip strength

Options
So here's my issue: working in stage two, and doing the step ups with 35 pound dumbells, and I have a hard time gripping the dumbells. My hands and forearms get tired, but my legs aren't working hard enough with just the 35 lbs.

How do I get the legs loaded enough when my hands aren't tough enough for the heavier bells? Suggestions?

Replies

• sgonzalezblanco
    sgonzalezblanco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've had this issue as well and my personal trainer suggested a couple of things. One was just to set the weight down and let the hands and forearms take a mini-break, or, she suggested using wrist straps (see link below) so it will take the burden of the weight off of the hands and forearms. I haven't had a chance to try this out yet as I've been rehabbing from a broken elbow so I can't attest to how well they work, but I would love to hear anybody else's ideas/opinions.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/fx/strap.html;jsessionid=A3AB79564444AC05BF654CD42F72FD4E
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I use a barbell across my back instead. Bonus is that it forces you to stabilize more from the core.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use a barbell across my back instead. Bonus is that it forces you to stabilize more from the core.

^^^This
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I agree with using a barbell.

Also what size step are you using? Maybe if you up the height of the step you will get more of a leg workout without having to up the weights.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I have a pretty high step... I use regular step aerobics step with 4 risers, plus the step. So the height feels good. I think that will be easier than trying to use the straps for now, but might look into it for the future.

I will try the barbell in the morning!

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Jen
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My husband got me doing grip exercises, and at first I scoffed. But my grip has really improved, and I can pull much heavier weights now.

I do a farmer's carry (using 45 plates).. A pinch carry ( with 2 10lb plates together). And then we carry hand grippers in the car which I will use on trips.

Wrist straps can help, but IMHO, I think they're a bit of a cop out. Strengthen your hands and forearms and pull the weight yourself.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just brought up the question regarding grip last week. I like the barbell advise. I am going to try that as well.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I have a pretty high step... I use regular step aerobics step with 4 risers, plus the step. So the height feels good. I think that will be easier than trying to use the straps for now, but might look into it for the future.

I use those steppers too because it feels more stable than a weights bench, which is padded. Like you I was using 4 risers plus the step but increased it to 5 risers and it adds a bit more challenge:) (the book says, higher the step, harder it gets.) I wouldn't add too many risers though since it'll eventually get wobbly! Those jump boxes are good too if they're available. And the barbels of course are a great idea. Good luck!! :)
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump for tips. Also suffer from poor grip strength.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Farmers walks are great for grip and upper body strength. Grab a plate in on hand and walk standing tall the length of the gym . Then switch to the other hand and repeat. Do ten lengths at the end of your workout and use -25-45 lb plates
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Just walking normally pmag (not lunging or anything)? You just grip the plate through the holes?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You pinch the plate between your thumb and other fingers- then walk straight and tall. I feel it in my forearm- but it works for me.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Ah, okay. That would be a lot harder than holding it in my full hand through the holes.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can do farmers walks with dumbbells or kettlebells, very heavy ones. Pinch plates as mentioned above. Hold a kettlebell by the handle with the bell part facing up, do presses. Pull up/chin ups, if you can't do those, hang your body weight off a bar. Don't forget, your forearms are part of your grip strength.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    You pinch the plate between your thumb and other fingers- then walk straight and tall. I feel it in my forearm- but it works for me.

Tried this the other day and I could barely pinch them.
    Totally felt it in my forearms.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Excellent question and advice. I'm going to try these with a barbell on my next day. Thanks for the feedback!