Race recap!

I know you all care about my racing....... haha! It's fun to talk about it to people who know what you do!

I did a sprint on Saturday, Beach Blast tri in Mexico Beach, FL. It was an ocean swim which I was nervous about because the last one went horribly!

Splits:
Swim .35 miles & a .25 mile run to T1- 12:46
T1 - 1:49
Bike 15 miles - 53:15
T2 - 0:58
Run 3.1 miles - 35:11

I finished 4th in my age group.... again! 3rd race in a row I have done that!

The swim went awesome! Had a great swim.... the run up the beach, across the highway and through the park kind of killed it, but I know that I had a great swim. Bike was pretty good for me.... a lot of people are faster than me, but I just started riding a tri bike 6 months ago so I am still learning. I was happy with the bike. The run - I kind of bombed it. I ran the whole thing, if you can call what I was doing running. It was hot.... in the 90s with a heat index in the 3 digits. No shade on the running course.... the only real relief from the heat was the kind people who put sprinklers in their front yards and watched us as we ran through them. I gave the run all I had but between the heat and not a whole lot of sleep, I was worn out.

I think I did fairly well and I am happy. My next race is October 12 and it is one that I have done before so I am excited. Have to hammer down for the next few weeks if I finally want to place in a tri!

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Woot!!! Great job!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    yayyy awesome job!! Ocean swims terrify me! Maybe someday...
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    congrats!! great job and good luck on your next race!!

i am not jealous of the heat and humidity but i am jealous that you are still in racing season!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Way to go! Sounds like you had fun too despite the heat.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Congrats! Just finishing in heat liek that is impressive, much less to finsih 4th in your age group! Way to go!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    That sounds like an awesome race!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Awesome times, all around! I have my first ocean swim in October... little nervous! :-)
  • Awesome times, all around! I have my first ocean swim in October... little nervous! :-)

I was really nervous my first one and couldn't calm myself down. This was only my second ocean swim and I spent probably the first 100 yards telling myself to calm down. It went great! One thing that has helped me is having a powerade in the transition so I can get at least a little of the salt water taste out of my mouth and having water to pour on my face to get the salt off. Takes a few extra seconds, but with 2 more legs to go, I will take those seconds to help myself be more comfortable so that I can focus on the rest of the race.
  • That sounds like an awesome race!

It was a lot of fun!
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    So honestly, part of me was trying to "compare" (for a second or 2! lol) but then, I realized, we are in 2 different things (you Tri, I Du lol) and you are on a MUCH higher level than I am - I aspire to be your level!! Awesome job!!!!!!!

Crazy to think that you are in the pan-handle & I was just off the Tampa coast on the same day & you were so much crazy hotter than we were. Yes. it was humid (93%), but thanks to the cloud cover, we held around 77 degrees.