The dreaded scale...

Options
Jacole18
Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
How often do you weigh in? Daily, weekly, monthly? It's always so different from person to person. I was doing daily, but I'm thinking I'll try every few days.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks. So many things can contribute to daily weight fluctuation, especially for women, and I know I can get a bit obsessed with the numbers on the scale. That works for me, but like you said, it's different from person to person!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For the first 9 months I weighed daily. I still do sometimes, but I don't let it bother me if I miss a day or two. Some people obsess over the number and can't handle those pesky fluctuations we sometimes have so the scale is their "enemy" and they can only weigh like every week, or two, or month, depending on the person.
  • radcas11
    radcas11 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a week. I've been that way since the beginning. Now that I'm in maintenance I'll probably drop to once every 2 weeks.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning on the same scale. This is way more than recommended and sounds a bit obsessive, but it predates my WLS and I'm not really obsessed with the actual number. The thing is for me, historically, I have put on major weight in short bursts of time and then maintained at that new higher weight until the next burst of weight gain. So for several years, I have used the scale a little bit to track loss, but really more to raise a red flag (big jumps up or steady creep over a period of time) that I am going in the opposite direction. Although it has been a year since my WLS and red flags haven't been an issue, I haven't been able to break my scale habit. It's just part of my routine. But being able to fit in smaller clothes makes me way happier than seeing a smaller number on the scale :)
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the mornings but I only "count" my Monday morning weigh-ins. Those are the ones I record. I like weighing daily because, in the past, when I have started to neglect caring for myself, I start by not weighing myself. The whole, "if I don't see it, it's not happening" mentality. I want to avoid that post surgery.
  • Decsaw
    Options
    It really is a personal thing....It really depends on how you understand the numbers and how you use that information. You first need to realize that weight will flux up, down, or even maintain, regardless of how well you are eating and how much you exercise and that is normal and OK. The number on the scale does not tell you how well you are doing, how good you feel or even how healthy you are. If you understand that, then weighing yourself can be a reminder or a motivator to stay on track and that is great, I just hate seeing people getting obsessed with the number, and feel that can do more damage than good.

I have a PhD and all of my research in on BMI. The fact of the matter is, weight and BMI measurements are terrible indicators of health. and at the individual level the number really tells you nothing. When looking at population level data there is value in trends and risk assessment, but not for you or I.

I also realize this in in a WLS board so everyone here is likely more concerned with weight than the general population and it is a major trackable outcome of our procedure. But if it really is the "dreaded scale" as you put it, why give it so much power? pay more attention to how you feel, how you move, clothes fitting etc. because that is all more important for you than your weight.

I never weigh myself, only when the doctor wants me to. They base medications and such off weight, and that's about all its good for.

But as I said at the top, if you understand what weight really is and do not give it too much power, then weighting might be that daily reminder to keep up the good fight. Just never let a number on the scale get you down, too many people lose track because they got depressed about a number on the scale. If you are doing the right things, eating well and being as active as you happily can be, you will feel and see the results, you don't need the scale to tell you "good job"
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I only weigh in officially once a week. Every Saturday.
    IF I hit a milestone number, I do record it. Like when I hit 80lbs lost this week, I recorded it, even though it wasn't Saturday.
    I have always been a daily weigher, and will probably continue to do so.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Every 3 weeks for me
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 1-2 days. You need to find what works for you. Like others have said, it keeps me accountable and "red flags" when I am going in the wrong direction. Also, all weight gain I've had has started when I stopped weighing myself.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and have done so since my RNY 6 years ago. I could do a lot of damage in a week. The scale keeps me on track.
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I weigh Every Wed.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Weekly, on Saturday. For me its about not becoming a slave to the number on the scale while maintaining a good habit of checking in no matter what. I'm afraid if I did it any less I'd forget and get complacent, (especially in maintenance). This way, it's Saturday, so I check in.