Thinking of switching to keto

Options
I've been low-carbing it for just a week now and finally decided to look up the Keto diet out of curiosity. I saw on RuledMe a 30 day meal plan. It looks interesting to me. I like how the plan and shopping list is laid out so I think I could really do this. I've been eating 1200 calories or so/day and around 30 carb gms and it's recommending higher calories, mostly from fat (1600 with only 20 gms of fat). If you've done this plan before, how did it work out for you? What is the next step after the 30 days? Is it considered "too extreme" even in low-carb world or is it a reasonable 30 day venture?

Replies

• wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    P.S. I don't have any health issues that I know of but I am 41 and I am worried I'm going to see some in the future if I don't get to my ideal healthy weight!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have been working at losing it since 2011 .. and I lost 60 lbs .. then gained back 20 .. In May I started a low carb diet .. almost 40 lbs later I am within a few pounds of my goal.

I had a before and after picture.. but it was huge.. let me figure out how to shrink it.. :) .
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Keto is not just a 30-day plan, so you can keep doing it as long as you like. I think the short term idea is closer to the Atkins induction phase, with the transition into OWL, which is higher carbs added back in slowly, up to about 100 gr/day.

To learn more, read the FAQ at this site: reddit.com/r/keto/ and read the many daily posts of all the people living the keto life! There is also a keto group here on MFP, try posting there, too. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

Just be aware of the "keto flu" which can last a few weeks--eat more salt. Once you get through that, you should feel really good. It is a lifestyle change, not just a quick weight loss diet, though that is a nice result.
    Personally, I don't get below 30 grams of carbs per day very often, so seldom really deep into ketosis. I have lost weight and now feel much better at about 50-80 carbs per day. But that is me -- you should try going lower and see how you do on it.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's not at all extreme, at least not around these parts. The other areas of MFP might think it is.

And, 30 days is a great start. It's not an upper limit. The next step is to keep going. I am currently on day 344 and have no intention of ever stopping. It's worked great for me.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I like to think of the 30 day meal plan as an introductory course where you learn how to make your own keto meals and stick to your new macros. Meal plans are laid out to apply to the majority of people's cal restrictions, but that might mean that they don't line up with yours. I'd suggest checking out keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to find out what your specific calorie and macro needs are. You can adjust your MFP diary to reflect those percentages. There are scripts out there that allow you to adjust macros by 1% increments.

Keto isn't a 30 day plan, though. It can go far longer than that. I've been keto for the majority of 2 years, with breaks for vacations.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am 11 months in and lost 66# thus far. This is probably the longest period of time that I have kept weight off, therefore this is now my way of eating. I keep my carbs at 20 net or lower. I also suggest what has already been suggested, reddit.com/r/keto/, http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ -- These two sites are what got me started.

Keto could be short term, however the results may end up short term as well, just like with any other diet plan or way of eating.

Good luck!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been low-carbing it for just a week now and finally decided to look up the Keto diet out of curiosity. I saw on RuledMe a 30 day meal plan. It looks interesting to me. I like how the plan and shopping list is laid out so I think I could really do this. I've been eating 1200 calories or so/day and around 30 carb gms and it's recommending higher calories, mostly from fat (1600 with only 20 gms of fat). If you've done this plan before, how did it work out for you? What is the next step after the 30 days? Is it considered "too extreme" even in low-carb world or is it a reasonable 30 day venture?
    Won;

I had not seen the RuledMe site before you mentioned it - thank you!!!
    Similar in many ways to Atkins (website) and many of the recipes look great (we'll be trying the Pizza for sure).

I think the 30 day thing is more of a marketing/menu issue than that he's suggesting that you stop after 30 days. Very much an individual thing - some never actually enter keto but stay LCHF for years (or a lifetime) - others enter keto then gradually increase carbs to the highest amount they can and still remain in keto, others revert back to non-keto LCHF - different strokes.

Both sites are selling stuff (which obviously pays the bills) but that doesn't make them bad. I'd suggest that you take a look at the A site as well (if you haven't already). A little more focused on the science (Dr A was, after all pretty much the original "guru"). I'd also recommend ordering the (free) "welcome pack" (or whatever it's called). The Carb Counter booklet is very handy.

There are a number of sites/blogs (some excellent, some not so much), here's another:
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/about/
    Check out the FatHead video (it's on youtube).

There are a number of "takes" on LCHF and/or "keto" (they're not the same thing) and the more you expose yourself to the better. "A" sometimes comes across as implying that theirs is the only "right" way to do LCHF and while I do agree that one can't necessarily pick one from column A and one from column B (mix and match parts of different programs) - neither do I believe that it's not possible to "customize" a plan for yourself, IF you have an understanding of WHY certain aspects are critical to success.

Look through the various threads here for links to a wealth of research and many of the top "experts" in the field and please don't be afraid to ask here on the Forum for any other questions you may have. None of us know it "all" but someone will be able to at least point you in the right direction.
  • KalinaGetsFit
    Options
    hi! I actually am doing that exact plan (1600 calories/20-25g carbs) and have lost 55 pounds since January. Never have had this much energy in my entire life. Still have about 35 I would like to lose as I am maintaining right now at 165 :)
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for a year now and lost 46 lbs so far - I have another 50 to go. I can't say enough great things about this nutritional lifestyle but I LOVE IT! It's so easy to maintain because you have no cravings. For the most part, I eat 15-20 net carbs per day but sometimes I eat a cheat meal on the weekends. It's always easy to get back into the swing of things because I've been doing to for so long. My diary is open if you would like to take a peek. My macros are 1600 calories, 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat. Besides logging my food on MFP, what really helped me was finding low carb people on Instagram and following their photo feed for meal ideas and transformation photos. If you are on Instagram, add me @fightin2getfit
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Awesome! I've started doing the keto thing now and didn't end up going on the 30 day plan but have been using the keto calculator to get my macros and all is working out well so far! I'm so excited!!

Thanks everyone for your input.
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've started doing the keto thing now and didn't end up going on the 30 day plan but have been using the keto calculator to get my macros and all is working out well so far! I'm so excited!!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Good luck! You can do this! You will be amazed by your results :)
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Been at this for just under 2 months and I think I am sticking with it. I got a lot of other benefits out of it besides weight loss. Better sleep, no crashing, better mood and it seems to really help me with focus.