Shaking my head in disbelief

Options
LeenaGee
LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
Last night on our local news there was a warning from experts against the Paleo diet trend. The video showed an amazing range of healthy foods like salmon, chicken, meat and an awesome range of colourful vegetables and fruits but said people are missing out on valuable fibre from grains and cereal and then proceeded to show processed cereal being rolled off a factory production line.

So I am still shaking my head in disbelief. How healthy would everyone be if they ate the first range of food. I think the second range of processed food is the one that produces the big bucks.

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Even my own wife is skeptical about dropping grains, says it is a whole food group. It is an easy brain washing process just keep repeating nonsense and people will believe it's a fact.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree....it is brainwashing. I am shaking my head, too, now. I love Paleo; it saved my life. :heart:
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    I think because it is such a tasty and convenient food range most people are unwilling to drop it from their diets and so do not want to hear how unhealthy a diet of these foods can be. For a lot of people it makes up 90% of their daily intake. Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner. That is an enormous amount of lifestyle to change.

I have no problem dropping rice or pasta and only eat it socially. Still love the smell of toast and haven't found a gluten free bread that is not just another version of processed food with a gluten free sticker on it. I try to stay clear of the processed Gluten Free range as some of the sauces etc are absolute rubbish.

What bread do you guys recommend? Sometimes when everyone else is having toast it would be good to have some on hand.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think because it is such a tasty and convenient food range most people are unwilling to drop it from their diets and so do not want to hear how unhealthy a diet of these foods can be. For a lot of people it makes up 90% of their daily intake. Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner. That is an enormous amount of lifestyle to change.

I have no problem dropping rice or pasta and only eat it socially. Still love the smell of toast and haven't found a gluten free bread that is not just another version of processed food with a gluten free sticker on it. I try to stay clear of the processed Gluten Free range as some of the sauces etc are absolute rubbish.

What bread do you guys recommend? Sometimes when everyone else is having toast it would be good to have some on hand.

I bake a tasty loaf made with almond flour, coconut flour, etc. It makes great toast and sandwiches. I also found a burger bun recipe --- That was so wonderful to eat a burger with too hands again! As for buying, I know I've seen different ones advertised on line.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Wow, that video speaks to how well people are brainwashed and unable to critically think anymore, and the establishment knows it. Can anything be more obvious that foods out of factories MUST be less nutritious? The natural vitamins are stripped and synthetic vitamins added back; say what?

People think 'Food Groups' are a real thing. Not. There are only carbohydrates, protein, fat and micronutrients. Seriously, we do not need a "processed foods" Food Group. How many people eat whole grains? How many people eat them the way humans originally ate them - sprouted and fermented? Not to mention that today's grains bear little resemblance to what our ancestors were eating.

If I had to recommend a bread, I would only suggest homemade sourdough rye. Everything that is processed is a crapshoot. Labels are notoriously misleading, and many terrible ingredients can legally be listed as just "natural flavour". I don't really relate to needing bread because others are eating it. But one can also make thin meat patties, spread butter on them, eat like toast.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I bake a tasty loaf made with almond flour, coconut flour, etc. It makes great toast and sandwiches. I also found a burger bun recipe --- That was so wonderful to eat a burger with too hands again! As for buying, I know I've seen different ones advertised on line.

Pfft, I just slapped mayo (homemade!) and cheddar cheese (Primal) on my burgers last night and ate them like burgers. Tomato slices (meaty tomatoes, ideally) or a hearty lettuce make good buns, too.

I generally get Udi's bread, but it's largely only for meatloaf until we find a replacement (which we may have, with pork rinds). My son will use them very occasionally for a burger or nut butter sandwich, or grilled cheese, but he's generally just as happy to eat either of the first two with a fork or spoon (still working on the third, but it's a once in a great while treat). I end up having to keep the loaf in the freezer, otherwise we don't go through it fast enough (that's how little we use it).

We don't even own a toaster anymore, so the toast thing is a nonissue in my house. Personally, I'd rather have something like sweet potato pancakes or some such, anymore, anyway.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Even my own wife is skeptical about dropping grains, says it is a whole food group. It is an easy brain washing process just keep repeating nonsense and people will believe it's a fact.

What I want to know is why people think dropping grains (a whole food group!) is insane and SO bad for you, but dropping meat (also an entire food group!) is completely normal and sometimes admirable, even if it isn't done for ethical reasons. If people want to be vegetarians, I don't give a hoot, but I just don't get why people see the two things as totally different.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    To repeat professor Tim Noakes: there is no scientific evidence that humans needs to eat grains.

I think that when people hear the word Paleo they automatically think everything is wrong with it... it has gotten such a bad wrap that people ignore that the concept is that you are eating *real* *whole* foods, not Franken-foods. Kinda like the problem with fat is that it's called fat! Now go eat some fat!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

What I want to know is why people think dropping grains (a whole food group!) is insane and SO bad for you, but dropping meat (also an entire food group!) is completely normal and sometimes admirable, even if it isn't done for ethical reasons. If people want to be vegetarians, I don't give a hoot, but I just don't get why people see the two things as totally different.

I've come to the conclusion that veg*nism is a sort of "sacred cow" that is more taboo to question than to follow. In part, because it's always hard to tell whether someone is doing it for ethical reasons. And heaven forbid you suggest an alternative way to follow one's ethics (or, if they just think death itself is unethical, you're just screwed).

Also, heaven forbid you ever point out that Paleo really isn't that much different from whole foods veg*n. That will get you lynched, because how dare you equate Paleo (with all its crude, dead-animal loving ways) with the sacredness that is Veg*n (apparently, Paleo people don't care about ethics, according to the veg*ns that responded the one time I opened that can of worms...).

That said, for the most part, I think people think that we're vegetarian-leaning omnivores, instead of either carnivore-leaning or true opportunists. On that front, it's less taboo to drop meat than it is to drop grains. Then you have the whole "we've been agrarian for ten thousand years" thing, and really, time frames longer than a few thousand are quite hard to fathom.

Regarding time frames, consider this -- when you think about BC times, what do most people think about? Most people probably forget that such advanced civilizations as Egypt, the Persian Empire, Sparta were BC-era (as opposed to early AD/CE), as was the Bronze Age for a full 3000 years BC. Let alone the fact that the Neolithic Stone Age still saw humans pretty much the same as we are now, and the fact that people in this age were farmers and no "cave men" (or the fact that "Stone Age" actually also refers to the first half of the Neolithic Era).
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    No doubt about it, Paleo definitely generates interesting discussions. I just don't get why everyone is so against healthy basic eating. Mention giving up sugar and grains in the general forum and anyone thinks you have lost your mind.

Talking about giving up sugar - I have just had a sugar filled day and now I feel absolutely awful. Headachy and yuck.:tongue:
    Memo to me - DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    No doubt about it, Paleo definitely generates interesting discussions. I just don't get why everyone is so against healthy basic eating. Mention giving up sugar and grains in the general forum and anyone thinks you have lost your mind.

Talking about giving up sugar - I have just had a sugar filled day and now I feel absolutely awful. Headachy and yuck.:tongue:
    Memo to me - DON'T DO IT AGAIN!!

I've chalked it up to the addictive nature of grains and sugar, and the fact that most people have been brainwashed to think that such things can't possibly be addictive. Again, heaven forbid you bring that idea up, because apparently, only hard drugs can be addictive, because their withdrawal symptoms could actually kill you (yeah, had something to that effect said to me). Tell that to anyone who's gotten bad withdrawal from trying to give it up (just as my husband, who looks and feels like death warmed over if he goes more than a couple of days without grains/carbs; he gets it bad).

A friend also suspects it's basically the result of malnourished brains. Given the amount of foaming at the mouth I've seen in response to mentioning anything remotely Paleo, I'm inclined to believe.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's odd, isn't it? And yet if someone says "I hate all vegetables", no one bats an eye. Totally acceptable.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    To repeat professor Tim Noakes: there is no scientific evidence that humans needs to eat grains.

I think that when people hear the word Paleo they automatically think everything is wrong with it... it has gotten such a bad wrap that people ignore that the concept is that you are eating *real* *whole* foods, not Franken-foods. Kinda like the problem with fat is that it's called fat! Now go eat some fat!

It has always been my belief that the name "Paleo" is a huge detriment. It is scientifically inaccurate and gives people the idea that the science behind it is dubious.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    It's odd, isn't it? And yet if someone says "I hate all vegetables", no one bats an eye. Totally acceptable.

exactly this..I know so many people that don't eat vegetables!!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Funny how people will say fried stuff is bad but will eat bread and oiled dressing on a salad. Same thing right?
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    "I've chalked it up to the addictive nature of grains and sugar, and the fact that most people have been brainwashed to think that such things can't possibly be addictive".

You are absolutely right Dragonwolf, honestly once I started eating cake for a fundraiser for morning tea, goodies for a colleague leaving work for afternoon tea, it was like a monster took over my self control. Snacked all evening on rubbish but I am not going to beat myself over it. I started the day with a glass of water and will continue to eat fresh food today. I really want to get rid of this hazy, headachy hungover feeling.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So weird how other elimination diets are seen as quirky or even honorable, while this is all craaazy-head.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    So weird how other elimination diets are seen as quirky or even honorable, while this is all craaazy-head.

I can't help wondering if the "establishment" or "big business" are concerned because the processing business would suffer once people went back to basics and ate real food again.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    We have a big well know chef here in Australia that's advocating the paleo diet and he is getting a lot of backlash for it here. It crazy. Im also currently studying nutrition and one of the questions we had was what is bad carbohydrate source? my answer soft drink, cakes, biscuits etc I was told that was incorrect because they are needed in a healthy diet and have their place and should never be eliminated. Are you kidding me?
  • smallpalehuman
    smallpalehuman Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exactly this..I know so many people that don't eat vegetables!!

I know many VEGETARIANS that don't eat vegetables.

They're healthy though! Especially since they don't eat meat and "all those fatty foods" :yawn: