Gluten & Dairy and Hashimoto's

Options
Tutab
Tutab Posts: 26 Member
I have had hashimoto's for 8 years the only times i ever lost any weight were either when I visit overseas for a couple of months, or when I got pregnant about 3 years ago. Everytime i lose no less than 20 lbs, i come back to USA and gain it all back within one month if not less!!I have been on levenothyroxine .125 mg since the first year I was diagnosed, it helped with my symptoms except my weight gain, I was able to control the gain by portion control and a strict 1200-1500 calories per day. After I had my baby my weight plumped to 228!!! When my size 16 pants became too tight I refused to buy a bigger size and went on a quest of a weight loss plan that's tailored to my needs, I was able to loose 18lbs in 15 months but and then hit a plateau, then I went to see my doctor to check on my vitamin D levels and iron because I am always dizzy and those 2 help with my dizziness but do not remove it at all, I have also been showing some rheumatoid arthritis symptoms but refused to face the fact that I am getting sicker than before, she always says you have autoimmune disease and I really hear hashimoto's, little did I know that hashimoto's is caused by the autoimmune disease and the autoimmune disease is caused by, wait for it..... GMO products. I have been aware of GMO negative effects on the body when I attended a chiropractic seminar held by my brother, and started cleaning our food at home eating more fruits and veggies for the sake of our own kids health, the results were amazing on everyone, my daughter looks better, my husband lost 20lbs, not that he needs to, it helped everyone but me!! I felt stuck on 209.8

so at my visit my doctor reads out the blood test results and she says your TPO is too high you need to cut gluten and dairy from your diet, she explained how my arthritis is becoming worse bcs of the top and how my kidneys are being affected and I needed to act NOW before I get any worse. So I start the gluten and dairy free experiment on my body and within the first week I felt great my dizziness is gone, my pain is gone and best of all I am down 6 lbs already! This is day 3 of week two by the way. I hope you guys find this helpful, I will update in a months time and let you guys know the result of my experiment or you can check my progress at http://fb.com/GlutenDairyFree1.

What I eat is veggies fruits and lean protein, I am munching all day long because Its hard to reach the 1200-1500 calorie limit on fruits and veggies I feel full most of the time! And lots and lots of water.

If any of you had tried eliminating gluten and or dairy I would love to hear about your experience with it and how it effected you.

Replies

• Tutab
    Options
    I forgot to add that when I was pregnant I couldn't tolerate anything starchy so my beloved wheat bread was out of the question, same with sweets.

And when I am overseas I am constantly eating of our home grown trees no pesticides no chemicals, I did notice this but never knew cheese and wheat were holding me back.
    My workout: try to walk an hour a day (same as before I went gf df).
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Tutab,

This is the first that I am learning that autoimmune is caused by GMO products. I am just recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's and still undergoing some tests. I saw a registered dietician who is testing me for multiple food and chemical sensitivities. I will not get my results for a couple of weeks, but she says all her patients with Hashimoto's respond well by eliminating gluten and dairy.

In the past I lost weight, average 10 lbs per month, by eliminating gluten and other starches but I still ate about an ounce of cheese per day. Now, nothing is working for me to lost weight...

The doctor who diagnosed Hashimoto's is not treating me at all, just a wait and see pattern so I am seeking a second opinion.

I am so glad your pain and dizziness is gone. I have been gluten and dairy free for over a month and my pain less but still prevalent. I have good days and bad days.

I look forward to reading your updates.
  • Tutab
    Options
    I believe GMO is the cause for many problems on the rise, at least here in USA, I found "forks over knives" a few months ago while flipping through the documentaries on netflix and it all made sense to me, I am in no way a vegetarian, I eat meat and chicken once a week that's all I can tolerate and I never eat fish, so my diet was mostly veggies fruits and processed foods (by processed i mean if the ingredients became unreadable or too scientific sounding lol) so after watching the documentary I started avoiding all processed foods and it helped in my family's health right away I notice an energy serge win my kids but nothing was effecting me health wise, I seriously couldn't get up without loosing my balance, I blacked out once and spent a full day at the hospital being tested for all sorts of problems, after going GF & DF I NOTICED THE CHANGE RIGHT AWAY, within a day I have more energy and noticed my dizziness is completely gone well almost completely, I do take iron, vitamin D and B12 i also need to take zinc but can never tolerate it (blech)
    So I suggest you try and switch to all organic for a month and see if it makes a difference, I also advice you to get tested for vitamin D and B12 difficency also have the antibodies tested and I suggest you seek a second opinion from an endocrinologist, I don't see an endo, I have a great family doctor who believes in eating healthy and exercise to be the cure for most of our troubles but she did refer me to a surgeon to do a biopsy on my thyroid and he is the one who discovered without biopsy that I have hashimoto's, I see him once a year to get tested and I have been on the same level of levenothyroxine for 7 years, i used to believe my dosage needs to be upped but since going GF &DF I changed my mind.

Sorry I'm talking too much lol, I just remembered to say this, what made me more convinced to stop all GMO and processed foods is my personal experience when I go overseas for a couple of months i lose up to 20 lbs during that time doing nothing but eat from out home grown fruits and in my country (Palestine) our resources are limited because of the ongoing war, so we don't import fruits or veggies we grow them so everything you buy is home grown by some farmer, even the poultry is free range and meat is from grass eating animals, that's is why I always lose weight. During my last pregnancy I went down over 20lbs bcs my body couldn't tolerate starchy or fatty foods, I had to eat fresh foods and lost weight, someone actually suggested i keep getting pregnant just to lose weight which is crazy! I know it's not being pregnant that helped with my weight, it's the healthy eating!!!!
  • Tutab
    Options
    I don't really know if this is related to gluten and dairy elimination, but today was the first time if 5 years that I am exposed to the sun and I don't get a rash! In 2009 I was diagnosed with sensitivity /allergy to the sun, I don't tan I break into a red itchy rach that lasts weeks sometimes a full month until I get a cortisone shot, well today i spend half an hour in the car with my left arm exposed to the sun and surprisingly I did not itch or get the usual rash!!
  • handerson2005
    handerson2005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with hypo/hashimotos. My endocrinologist & I played with my diet to hopefully avoid meds (for as long as possible). The last ditch effort was going gluten free. It worked! Now, I haven't lost any weight because of it, but my numbers (TSH, FT3, FT4, Anti-TPO, & Anti-TG) were all within normal ranges. The antibodies were back down to 0. Being gluten free for me has changed my life. Sure, I still miss certain food items, but I feel like a completely different person!
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Like handerson2005 gluten free has helped me so much. Haven't lost much weight, but I am not in pain every day and the depression has improved. People say I look less puffy too! It took a few months for the pain to subside and I still get joint pain from time to time, but I am so glad I went gluten free. I take synthroid too, but I was gluten free for a month before I started meds.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I went backwards on the test :sick: I had been without gluten and dairy for months even before I was told I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis because of food sensitivites. I met with an excellent nutrionist last Monday who administered a food sensitivity blood test and said even before we get the results next week that I should continue to avoid gluten and dairy.

I left there and stopped for fast food for the first time in months, followed by a slice of pizza and a Chinese buffet. This trend continued for the rest of the week. I am so inflamed and in such pain, the swelling is unbelievable. 15lbs of water retention overnight which is now up to a total of 20 in less than a week.

Definitely, not worth it.
  • elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I too suffer with thyroid issues. I too could only seem to gain for years. I was close to 300 lbs when i decided to go gluten free... with in a month I felt better.... and no longer suffered from constipation or bouts of opposite. I found i was really surprised at the fact that all my cravings for crap were gone also. I could look at cookies or cake and not eat them...for the first time in my life. I decided to stick with the gluten free diet for life. I am amazed at how much healthier i am and feel. I truely do feel like we are slowly being poisoned by all that crap.... I think there is a direct connection to the obesity and diabetes epidemic and gluten. The big food co.s put it in everything. even things that they should not or dont need to. Like bbq sauce.... I mean everything. If you go completely gluten free it takes a bit to get it out of your system and then it takes a bit to know what you can eat...but it is SO worth it.
  • elizabethroyce10
    Options
    Gluten-free diet[edit]
    Preliminary studies have suggested a correlation between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and celiac disease.[21] While it has not been rigorously explored, there are anecdotal reports that a gluten-free diet may reduce the autoimmune response responsible for thyroid degeneration.[22] A study published in January 2012 compared a group of confirmed celiac patients to a control group of healthy individuals, starting a gluten-free diet and continuing for one year.[23] While there was a higher occurrence of thyroiditis found amongst the celiac group, there was no reduction in their level of anti-TPO antibody, improvement in thyroid function, or change in thyroid volume reduction after one year without gluten. The study mentions that its results disagree with other studies, such as a prospective study published in August 2000 with 90 celiac patients, which found that thyroid-related serum antibodies tended to reduce during a gluten-free diet.[2 This is published right in Wikpedia....
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thank you Elizabeth. The studies you quote agree with things I have read. I would venture many of the problems with gluten can be improved by a better level of thyroid medication. The more I have read on the sphere of influence the thyroid has over the bodies many systems not least the elimination of toxins be they as eaten, or as created as a by product of digestion or cell replacement otherwise general internal activities of living, the symptoms produced are individual. I would put forward that as we read in STTM, site, many people would have improved health were they given a more appropriate personal level of medication. There is so much disagreement within the medical profession over the level to which to medicate a person, that is to the test numbers or to the eradication of symptoms. People who are Celliac do have an increased tendency towards thyroid issues probably because their bodies have issues eliminating toxins. Who knows were they given support for their thyroids may be they would faire better.

I for one had not been able to eat bread for years over ten, I reported this as possibly being of interest, knowing myself not to have been celliac all my life. My thyroid related symptoms became much worse and were still denied by the doctors I consulted. I even added issues with quorn. I started on liquid levo back at the end of July and I can now eat bread and quorn sausages occasionally without issues.
  • elizabethroyce10
    Options
    but wouldnt it be better for your body to avoid it???
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    I think this whole thyroid problem is so much bigger than we ordinary folk can know in my life time. Enabling my body to function properly is what I want to achieve. I am responsible for my body and others for their own. For most of the last 40 years I have eaten, drunk, and done most of what was considered the healthy way to live. All this time and longer I have had disregarded thyroid symptoms. I now discover as I approach last few years of my three score years and ten that doing what was the "right way" of being healthy, actually made me ill and at my worst weighing some 20 stone. I am striving to make the best of what I have left and I hope it is at least another 30 years to enable me to do some of what my disabilities had taken from me though it will never replace the work years I lost. All because I did as I was advised.

I have said many times, I am salicylate sensitive, actually I live my life in a state of salicylate toxicity, tinnitus very loud all the time with additional different threads, if it has a mind to as my salicylate levels increase, as well as other acknowledged overdose symptoms. No, I do not pester the doctors, I use them at arms length where possible now, hospital visits are a nightmare, some hospitals are easier than others for some reason. The organ which should direct or control the elimination of this toxin is malfunctioning fortunately my other organs involved in elimination seem to be surviving, (recent blood test). In the '60's and up till now many people believe full fat or semi skimmed milk products are bad for you, like eggs but these foods are good for iodine and selenium which would have fed my thyroid when it needed it most to enable me to drink tea and coffee, eat the oranges, grapefruit, pineapples, broccoli, cucumber, radish, herbs spices, ordinary foods like tomato purée, maize starch for thickening sauces and holding most pills together and chocolate flavoured with vanilla. Christmas used to mean mince pies, puddings and Christmas cake, wine and fruit juices but not any more. I really miss my nuts, chocolate coated Brazills, wonderful. Then I also have to cope with salicylate some of it synthetic in modern personal and domestic hygiene products. Could you survive without toothpaste or washing powder??? And I have not mention the outpourings of plants in the gardens. I know what it is to give things up and have good reasons not be a sheep.

I have come back from chronic fatigue, fibro, joint and muscle pain and various problems causing me to use sticks and breathing problems, IBS and more just by avoiding aspirin and later the salicylate in foods which took the pressure off my thyroid at every step and probably saved my other organs. Once there was nothing I would not eat, well I hated pilchards, school dinners! I have my life back as long as I keep away from peoples perfumes, use masks, nasal filters, dehumidifier. When I used to travel my air filters and air purifiers were needed just to keep my equilibrium. I use vitamin and mineral supplements as well as omega 3 capsules to try to promote the best health I can. I know I can improve my thyroid function by using eggs, goat milk and cheeses, sheep cheese which are even better for iodine and selenium than cow. I decided it was probably too dangerous to self medicate even though I achieved some dramatic results, I was perturbed by the palpitations I started to experience so I fought for maize free levothyroxine and hope I achieve normal thyroid function before my time is up.

So to answer your question. Would my body be better off if it was not subjected to gluten? No. My body has told me it is now happy, even more delighted now I have found self raising wholemeal flour. I am able to have a normal digestive system, and all my other symptoms are work in progress if and when I am permitted an increase in my medication. (One 25 mcg of tablet levo daily for a month almost had me in a wheelchair for such a small amount of maizestarch. Time or may be the lack of it will tell.

My advice to anyone is to read as much as you can, keep to the proper science on reputable sites and ones of support and learning, set your symptoms and diet against lists and see what you come up with. Daily I thank Anne Swane an Australian Dietitian with associates who did much of the investigations which have created the salicylate food lists. I hope no one else has to endure what I do. This has not been a life choice, for me it is I fear a life sentence. Know what you are doing and why. Live life the best way you can you only get one crack at it.

Thyroid UK, Food can make you ill, Stop the thyroid madness, Salicylate Sensitivity, Autism support sites, Thyroid Australia and USA. There are others I could also throw at you too but these are probably enough.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if this is related to gluten and dairy elimination, but today was the first time if 5 years that I am exposed to the sun and I don't get a rash! In 2009 I was diagnosed with sensitivity /allergy to the sun, I don't tan I break into a red itchy rach that lasts weeks sometimes a full month until I get a cortisone shot, well today i spend half an hour in the car with my left arm exposed to the sun and surprisingly I did not itch or get the usual rash!!

It's strange, I have sun allergy too - a bumpy itchy rash that lasts for weeks after exposure to direct sunlight. The worst incidence lasted 6 months with continuous peeling skin like eczema. The only thing that gets rid of it is topical steroid cream. I have hashimotos too, joint pain and a few other autoimmune diseases.

I have been gluten free for about a year and it has really helped reduce my joint pain. I caved and ate a lot of bread and things in the summer and all my joint pain returned with a vengeance. Needless to say I have stopped gluten again. I don't know if it has helped reduce my thyroid antibodies though?

I have to test to see if my sun allergy has gone also. I did notice that my allergy to mangos has disappeared (I used to vomit and have bad stomach cramps for hours after ingesting mango and haven't eaten mango for years until recently). Could the gluten free diet and reduction in food sensitivity be related?

I haven't gone dairy free yet. I gave up milk and my sinus allergies went away but I still take cream in my coffee. Maybe I should give up all dairy too.

Thanks to everyone for their experiences. Sometimes we doubt ourselves when there is so much snickering about gluten free diets going on.
  • Tutab
    Options

It's strange, I have sun allergy too - a bumpy itchy rash that lasts for weeks after exposure to direct sunlight. The worst incidence lasted 6 months with continuous peeling skin like eczema. The only thing that gets rid of it is topical steroid cream. I have hashimotos too, joint pain and a few other autoimmune diseases.

I have been gluten free for about a year and it has really helped reduce my joint pain. I caved and ate a lot of bread and things in the summer and all my joint pain returned with a vengeance. Needless to say I have stopped gluten again. I don't know if it has helped reduce my thyroid antibodies though?

I have to test to see if my sun allergy has gone also. I did notice that my allergy to mangos has disappeared (I used to vomit and have bad stomach cramps for hours after ingesting mango and haven't eaten mango for years until recently). Could the gluten free diet and reduction in food sensitivity be related?

I haven't gone dairy free yet. I gave up milk and my sinus allergies went away but I still take cream in my coffee. Maybe I should give up all dairy too.

Thanks to everyone for their experiences. Sometimes we doubt ourselves when there is so much snickering about gluten free diets going on.

OMG I thought I was the only one who has an allergy to the sun, mine started when I was overseas visiting my parents and I went out in the sun to clean the roof and came back an hour later with an itchy rash where-ever the sun hit me and I itched like crazy used lotions and yogurt "moms idea to cool my itch" then she had to call a doctor for me at 2am because from itching my skin was turning blue, he gave me a cortisone shot and my rash was gone within a day, here in USA i use sunscreen all the time and when I don't i regret it because I have to get prescription creams after a couple if weeks of itching!,,
    I have noticed by being GF & DF I don't get the rash anymore, it's like the allergy disappeared, I also had a shell nut allergy from the shells not the nuts themselves discovered in 98 and now that's completely gone two!!!!!!!! Sometimes I think I might be imagining it, but no this is for real, I feel a huge improvement, I want to go see my doctor next Thursday in a weeks and see what she has to say about this, I will also do my blood test on 'Monday "last day of my experiment" and she should have tsh & tpo levels by then.
  • Tutab
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I think this whole thyroid problem is so much bigger than we ordinary folk can know in my life time. Enabling my body to function properly is what I want to achieve. I am responsible for my body and others for their own. For most of the last 40 years I have eaten, drunk, and done most of what was considered the healthy way to live. All this time and longer I have had disregarded thyroid symptoms. I now discover as I approach last few years of my three score years and ten that doing what was the "right way" of being healthy, actually made me ill and at my worst weighing some 20 stone. I am striving to make the best of what I have left and I hope it is at least another 30 years to enable me to do some of what my disabilities had taken from me though it will never replace the work years I lost. All because I did as I was advised.

I have said many times, I am salicylate sensitive, actually I live my life in a state of salicylate toxicity, tinnitus very loud all the time with additional different threads, if it has a mind to as my salicylate levels increase, as well as other acknowledged overdose symptoms. No, I do not pester the doctors, I use them at arms length where possible now, hospital visits are a nightmare, some hospitals are easier than others for some reason. The organ which should direct or control the elimination of this toxin is malfunctioning fortunately my other organs involved in elimination seem to be surviving, (recent blood test). In the '60's and up till now many people believe full fat or semi skimmed milk products are bad for you, like eggs but these foods are good for iodine and selenium which would have fed my thyroid when it needed it most to enable me to drink tea and coffee, eat the oranges, grapefruit, pineapples, broccoli, cucumber, radish, herbs spices, ordinary foods like tomato purée, maize starch for thickening sauces and holding most pills together and chocolate flavoured with vanilla. Christmas used to mean mince pies, puddings and Christmas cake, wine and fruit juices but not any more. I really miss my nuts, chocolate coated Brazills, wonderful. Then I also have to cope with salicylate some of it synthetic in modern personal and domestic hygiene products. Could you survive without toothpaste or washing powder??? And I have not mention the outpourings of plants in the gardens. I know what it is to give things up and have good reasons not be a sheep.

I have come back from chronic fatigue, fibro, joint and muscle pain and various problems causing me to use sticks and breathing problems, IBS and more just by avoiding aspirin and later the salicylate in foods which took the pressure off my thyroid at every step and probably saved my other organs. Once there was nothing I would not eat, well I hated pilchards, school dinners! I have my life back as long as I keep away from peoples perfumes, use masks, nasal filters, dehumidifier. When I used to travel my air filters and air purifiers were needed just to keep my equilibrium. I use vitamin and mineral supplements as well as omega 3 capsules to try to promote the best health I can. I know I can improve my thyroid function by using eggs, goat milk and cheeses, sheep cheese which are even better for iodine and selenium than cow. I decided it was probably too dangerous to self medicate even though I achieved some dramatic results, I was perturbed by the palpitations I started to experience so I fought for maize free levothyroxine and hope I achieve normal thyroid function before my time is up.

So to answer your question. Would my body be better off if it was not subjected to gluten? No. My body has told me it is now happy, even more delighted now I have found self raising wholemeal flour. I am able to have a normal digestive system, and all my other symptoms are work in progress if and when I am permitted an increase in my medication. (One 25 mcg of tablet levo daily for a month almost had me in a wheelchair for such a small amount of maizestarch. Time or may be the lack of it will tell.

My advice to anyone is to read as much as you can, keep to the proper science on reputable sites and ones of support and learning, set your symptoms and diet against lists and see what you come up with. Daily I thank Anne Swane an Australian Dietitian with associates who did much of the investigations which have created the salicylate food lists. I hope no one else has to endure what I do. This has not been a life choice, for me it is I fear a life sentence. Know what you are doing and why. Live life the best way you can you only get one crack at it.

Thyroid UK, Food can make you ill, Stop the thyroid madness, Salicylate Sensitivity, Autism support sites, Thyroid Australia and USA. There are others I could also throw at you too but these are probably enough.

I hope your symptoms get better with whatever diet you feel is working for you.
  • Tutab
    Options
    Gluten-free diet[edit]
    Preliminary studies have suggested a correlation between Hashimoto's thyroiditis and celiac disease.[21] While it has not been rigorously explored, there are anecdotal reports that a gluten-free diet may reduce the autoimmune response responsible for thyroid degeneration.[22] A study published in January 2012 compared a group of confirmed celiac patients to a control group of healthy individuals, starting a gluten-free diet and continuing for one year.[23] While there was a higher occurrence of thyroiditis found amongst the celiac group, there was no reduction in their level of anti-TPO antibody, improvement in thyroid function, or change in thyroid volume reduction after one year without gluten. The study mentions that its results disagree with other studies, such as a prospective study published in August 2000 with 90 celiac patients, which found that thyroid-related serum antibodies tended to reduce during a gluten-free diet.[2 This is published right in Wikpedia....

1- don't believe everything you see online (Wikipedia is edited by people like me and you and can be easily manipulated by by companies who want you to buy their product whether its full of gluten or gluten free)
    2- there is not enough study/ experiments on the issue at hand, and really an experiment done on 90 people is not a measure and should not apply to general population.
    3- while celiac symptoms improve with GF, in my case doing DF also helped my condition. .

And sadly there is less and less people interested on doing a study on this, everything out there is debunking the gluten free diets and calling it a myth and not really good for you, but who are they to decide? YOU and only you should decide what to eat and what not to eat, based on your own experience with your body, for me true I don't know the effect it had on TPO but I feel better than ever, they used to call me "old lady" & I m only in my thirties, now I have more energy than the youngest in the family!,,
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Thank you tutab, for your wishes. It's the pits. Tried to go for a walk yesterday by the local harbour in high winds and still found the aroma coming from the tethered boats turned my system, we had to return home for me to sleep the effects off. I'd love to go for a swim but can't do busy places.........
  • Tutab
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Thank you tutab, for your wishes. It's the pits. Tried to go for a walk yesterday by the local harbour in high winds and still found the aroma coming from the tethered boats turned my system, we had to return home for me to sleep the effects off. I'd love to go for a swim but can't do busy places.........

I can relate, Sensitivity to smell is the worst anyone can have, I get a headache right away, but it's something I learned to live with as it's something that has been with me since I was a child, its weird that I can stand some really strong perfume smells but the whiff of some light ones trigger my headaches.... I have yet to find a cure.
    Anyways I found in my local park district a gym for a very low yearly price, a fraction of what gym memberships are, and I found an indoor walking track for less than $40 a year, best part of the walking track is that I am all alone no other people and their perfumes. So check out your park district also ask how many laps make a mile, they told me 11 laps make a mile. Good luck