Extreme Accountability! ~ October 2014 edition

Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
e33b218639e5cf9197c7144c30c64f9a.jpg

goals-tony-robbins-picture-quotes.jpeg

1b34eb0bbe5955138fcb5ec0453e5d95.jpg

Here's where you make a plan, set goals for October. Post them and be held accountable!

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    Options
    Workout 5-6 days a week
    drink lots of water
    log my food
    don't stress. I have an app to stop that :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Strength train 3 times a week in trainer workout, class, or on my own
    Stretch session (in addition to after run or at work brief stretches) once a week in yoga class or yoga DVD
    Run 3 or more times per week, try for more, with a 6+ mile run at least once a week: Goal 50 miles in October
    Bike at least once a week
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    October certainly came up fast this year.

Right now I’m reading a book about mini-habits. Basically, motivation and willpower have limits but healthy habits trump healthy choices every time. The book suggests setting un-fail-able goals so that you can set up good habits. Getting started can be one of my biggest obstacles. That’s the very long way of saying my goals for this month are going to be small as I set myself up for success.

1. Lay out workout clothes every night (or set up bag if going swimming)
    2. Workout for at least 5 minutes every day
    3. Include evening snack in food budget daily
    4. Sign up for an event
    5. Drink diet soda only after drinking 8 glasses of water
    6. On the days I pick up my son from daycare, go for a walk as soon as we get home, at least half the time
    7. Every Monday post report on this thread

I’m interested to read your goals and see your progress!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I've been wrestling with my October goals and everytime I thought I had them, I'd see that I was overextending beyond my current capacity with my ankle & other problems. I thought I'd switch my running goal to a cardio goal but then couldn't come up with a cardio activity that doesn't exacerbate the ankle problem. Then I realized that even my 10,000 step goal might be exacerbating too. :frown: So, like it or not, I'm going to have to scale waaaay back in October. I really don't like it at all! The weather is great. It's the last month before my gym membership runs out. I want to progress, not go backwards. And I enjoy working out, running, and gaining ground in all those things. BUT...I am where I am. (Can you tell I've never had to deal with an injury or health issue like this before? lol)

1. REST and HEAL!
    2. Change my MFP goal to Maintenance. Try with all my might to stay within that goal.
    3. Complete full weight routine per week
    (usu. broken into 3 sessions)--for October, less emphasis on increasing weight, just primarily increase reps for now. May increase to 2x/wk routine, as reps increase and it becomes less challenging.
    4. Get 8 hours sleep 3x per week
    (This is a biggie for me! I've been sleeping terribly and I need sleep to heal!) Would like to increase the frequency to 5x per week.
    5. Write, read, or meditate (occasionally walk) in place of running & heavy walking for stress relief

Also, DH may or may not travel part of the month. If so, those 10 days will include more walking and no gym, but probably better sleep.

I don't know what else I might include to help with my situation. Ideas welcome.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    Here are some healthy goals to consider:

1. Yoga/stretching (if doesn't aggravate problem)

2. Learning new healthy recipes

3. Getting a massage

4. Create an actual bedtime (even if you don’t go to sleep right away, it will still help roll back your evening)

5. Eat breakfast

6. Eat produce with every meal

7. Eat everything on a plate while sitting down

Just my two cents. I know it’s frustrating when you want to go go go go and can’t.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Thanks, those are good!

Gives me some good ideas. I'm going to process all this and maybe add another thing or two.

:smile:
  • toeatapeach
    toeatapeach Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here are my October goals:

1. Get to bed on time every night. (I'm the worst at skimping on sleep!)
    2. Plan meals so I don't get caught out at the end of the week.
    3. Drink more water, and less coffee at work.
    4. Run 3x a week.
    5. Check-in on the Daily Workout Partners board every day.
    6. Don't stress about Thanksgiving dinner. One meal won't make or break my weight loss.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    1) Eat at a deficit. I am committing to a serious attempt to lose weight in October. If I'm still stalled out at the end of the month, I will move myself to maintenance for the winter. Next spring when I start training again for the various races I hope to do next summer (half marathon, duathlon and possible triathlon) then I'll need to drop more weight if I'm not able to do it now. I'm tired of feeling like I'm spinning my wheels with my halfhearted attempts to lose more weight, so I'm going all in for October to see what happens.

2) Keep working out, whatever that may bring. I'm in the process of adjusting from my summer workout schedule to my winter workout schedule. I was trying to add in a couple of days of swimming without dropping anything else and it's stressing me out. I discussed it with my trainer on Monday night and he said perhaps I should change up my focus (possibly even weekly) to rotate different things in, so one week I might focus on swimming and the next I might focus on running. He wants 50% of my cardio to be on the bike over the winter. He's going to get me some recommendations for a bike trainer so I can bring my bike in the house and use that instead of having to go ride a bike at the gym.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

1. REST and HEAL!
    2. Change my MFP goal to Maintenance. Try with all my might to stay within that goal.
    (usu. broken into 3 sessions)--for October, less emphasis on increasing weight, just primarily increase reps for now. May increase to 2x/wk routine, as reps increase and it becomes less challenging.
    (This is a biggie for me! I've been sleeping terribly and I need sleep to heal!) Would like to increase the frequency to 5x per week.
    5. Write, read, or meditate (occasionally walk) in place of running & heavy walking for stress relief

1. YES!!! Best thing I've done!
    2. Changed my goal in MFP. Did pretty good this past week, looking at calories alone (QUALITY of food is another matter though). I had about 3 bad days, but some good days too. I basically blew it on late night junk food last night, or else my weekly avg would've been good. Thanks to last night, I went over for the week, which at a maintenance setting is BAD. I can do better. I've just lost sight of my goals. Hoping that t.o.m. and being sick was a main culprit and I will do better this coming week.
    3. Nope and don't care. The rest I've been getting has been worth it. I can't slack off weights forever, but I'm glad I took the rest week.
    4. Tried hard at this one and did better than usual. Got 7-8hrs several days. One day when I got very little sleep, I took a long nap to even it out. This has also been one of the best things I've done--committing to better sleep. Some of the mysterious health issues I've been having seem to improve with better sleep.
    5. Nope, used "argue with husband" as my choice of stress relief this week. D'OH!!! Definitely need to remember this one!!

Thanks to the good ideas, I want to add a really robust stretching routine to my week. Need to get out and pick up a yoga mat, since I left mine on the island this Summer.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    Sherry, I lol'ed at your report. I feel like everything is two steps forward, one step back. On Friday night my husband brought me home a single-serve pecan pie (unsolicited) and I ate every bite but blew a lot of calories.

Here is October my week 1 report:

1. Lay out workout clothes every night (or set up bag if going swimming). Triumphed 4/6 times. It really makes it easy!
    2. Workout for at least 5 minutes every day. Mostly good 5/6 times. Yesterday I felt like a slug.
    3. Include evening snack in food budget daily. Winner winner after dinner 6/6 times. It really makes a difference because I’m often hungry in the evening.
    4. Sign up for an event. Not yet.
    5. Drink diet soda only after drinking 8 glasses of water. Success 5/6 times. I usually drink between 4-6 diet sodas per week so this isn’t a big deal.
    6. On the days I pick up my son from daycare, go for a walk as soon as we get home, at least half the time. 0/2 times. One time it was too late and the other we went to watch his dad play soccer.
    7. Every Monday post report on this thread. Victory!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Here we go!

1. Follow my bedtime routine every night! It helps me get everything prepped so the next day is successful.
    2. Never eat after 8pm!
    3. Strength train 4 days a week, 2 upper and 2 lower.
    4. Drink more water!!!
    5. Enjoy Halloween...without going overboard! I may buy candy I don't like to pass out. ;)
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

1. REST and HEAL!

Rough week due to this nasty cold holding on. :(

1. Yes, sort of. It seems all I've done is rest and heal, yet my calves have been a bit tight. I know I need to get cracking on a good stretching program that I'll follow regularly (not just when I've run or walked), but have been dragging my feet about it.
    2. Did great all week until last night. DH made cookies (WHY?!?! I had 2 oatmeal raisin, but let's just call them what they were: butter & brown sugar!) and after the cookies I was starving and I don't know why. It felt like my old breastfeeding days when hunger would move in and stay awhile. grrrr. Leaves me with so few calories today that I don't stand a chance, but will try to minimize the damage. So, looks like a fail, which is realllllly bad in maintenance setting.
    3. HA! Did some exercises at home a few days, which left me sore. Lil girl joined me. WISH I had her natural ability with bodyweight exercises! (Of course it helps if the said bodyweight is normal and not over, duh! Some day.)
    4. Tried hard with this again. On a couple of the days that I fell way short, I took a long nap to make up for it. Unfortunately I always forget to set my tracker "nap" setting (or set it wrong), so I don't have a good record of it. Overall, I think I came VERY close to 8hrs 6 days this week, after naps are added.
    5. Should add: or play iPad apps! haha

Main goal right now is to get over this stupid cold b/c everything else is at a standstill til then. I've also had time to think about what I might do with the next few months (hint: gym membership is expiring...), so my next round of plans and goals are starting to form.

• Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    Here is October my week 2 report:

1. Lay out workout clothes every night (or set up bag if going swimming). Okay, I’ve had the same workout clothes laid out for nearly a week as I have a cold and haven’t been moving much. Ugh.
    2. Workout for at least 5 minutes every day. I got a cold so I think I only got in one decent workout last week. Plus a couple of lunchtime walks so I’d say 4/7. This weekend I laid low, got a lot of rest, and feel better today. Not workout better, just not coughing up a lung.
    3. Include evening snack in food budget daily. Last week I blew my food budget and today have started over yet again. Again.
    4. Sign up for an event. Not yet.
    5. Drink diet soda only after drinking 8 glasses of water. Success 4/6 times. I’ve definitely been more mindful about guzzling water.
    6. On the days I pick up my son from daycare, go for a walk as soon as we get home, at least half the time. FAIL. I haven’t done this once this month yet.
    7. Every Monday post report on this thread. Victory!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

1. REST and HEAL!

1. Still good this week. It's been nearly a month since I've run and almost the same for the gym (mostly due to circumstances). I've also been alternating between ankle/calf exercises and stretching. It seems to be helping my ankles, although my calve muscles are still often sore.
    2. This week I easily stayed within my calories most weekdays, but still have tomorrow. I had a major slip up late late last night, but I think the weekly average will turn out okay.
    3. I pretty much abandoned this one this month. I'm going ahead with full rest. I srsly need to do some upper body and I occasionally do some bodyweight exercises at home, but this month is all about keeping my achilles tendons together and no catastrophes in that regard (not to mention being sick and DH working all the time, leaving me no time).
    4. Not bad this week. I'd say I had at least 3 strong days re: sleep. With me, going to bed early doesn't always result in longer sleep and sleeping late is not always an option.
    5. Need improvement on this one! I did go out for a walk a couple of times, but I need to do better at this, especially now as DH has been super stressed, making our house a bit of a pressure cooker. The times that I did get out for a walk, was when the pressure was too much to handle, so I guess I did pretty good not to explode. ;-)

I also wanted to add a regular stretching routine (not only on running or walking days), but have not. I found a great one on fitnessblender.com. I'm REALLLLLY slow to initiate these types of changes. IDK why, I just take a long time to mentally commit to something. Which brings me to next month--all month long, I've had LOTS of changes on my mind for next month and I think they will have percolated long enough by then.
  • Aprilfoolbride
    edited October 2014
    Options

1. Lay out workout clothes every night (or set up bag if going swimming)
    2. Workout for at least 5 minutes every day
    3. Include evening snack in food budget daily
    4. Sign up for an event
    5. Drink diet soda only after drinking 8 glasses of water
    6. On the days I pick up my son from daycare, go for a walk as soon as we get home, at least half the time
    7. Every Monday post report on this thread

1. I kept the same outfit laid out all week as I did no am exercise last week. And I did not go swimming. Tried to rest and kick cold so I wouldn’t have to travel feeling lousy. It worked.
    2. I got in a 5 minute workout about 4 days last week. I got a good number of walks in during the day at work (I keep sneaks, socks & sunglasses in my desk).
    3. I included an evening snack in my food budget on the days that I tracked and chowed down on produce or popcorn if I was out.
    4. Not yet! But I have my eye on a Thanksgiving Day 5k.
    5. It’s not usually too difficult to get in plenty of water so I did this first probably 5 times. I usually have 5-7 caffeine free diet sodas per week. Last week I had one real Diet Coke. And it was good.
    6. Last week we went on a super nice family stroll in the evening and I was very happy we did.
    7. 100% success so far!

Sherry, what a great report! Progress not perfection :) Can you please send link to fitness blender stretching video? I also LOVE Rodney Yee's AM Yoga, it's 15 minutes and such a nice way to start the day.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    FB has lots to choose from (usu ~5min for cool down), but the one I chose is really thorough and has all my favorite stretches. It's also the longest, at about 27min. Now, just to DO it! :|

That Yoga to start the day sounds nice. I also have a few yoga and pilates dvd sets that I've gotten at Target or Costco, but they sit on my shelf. I really need to build a routine/habit for this!

FB stretch vid
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Stretching-Pilates-Yoga-Workout-Blend-Relaxing-Stretching-Routine-to-Relieve-Stress-Back-Pain/it/
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    btsinmd wrote: »
    Strength train 3 times a week in trainer workout, class, or on my own
    Stretch session (in addition to after run or at work brief stretches) once a week in yoga class or yoga DVD
    Run 3 or more times per week, try for more, with a 6+ mile run at least once a week: Goal 50 miles in October
    Bike at least once a week

Well behind what I wanted to do this month, but that's behind me, so we'll see if I can manage it in the last two weeks of the month.

Thanks for the video, Sherry.

I like Rodney Yee's AM Yoga too.

• FromHereOnOut
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1. REST and HEAL!

1. *Check! still. Although I did have a few days with higher steps this week and it caused a little achiness in the ankles (usu. one ankle at a time), I think I can gradually add steps now til I get to a 10000/day goal again.
    2. *Check! (so far, still have tomorrow) Eating has been much easier this week and I have no idea why. I've been really strong at eating very little during the day and free to eat at night after the kids' bedtime. Until one bad night where I went a little too crazy, I was in a cut for the week. Now, I'm about back to even (maintenance) for the week.
    3. *Check! Split into 3 home dumbbell workouts. I kicked my own *kitten* on at least two of them this week. Today's was okay, although I was working around 2 kids and a young cat, all trying to get in on the action. We'll see how my back & abs feel tomorrow. My shoulder is already a little achy from pull-ups (assisted).
    4. I need to do better about this. I think I probably had about 3 good or sorta good days. Definitely had 4 days over 6 hours.
    5. Did the best I could. Used headset/music and hot tea and everything I could, but sometimes stressful situations got the best of me. A run would've set me straight, but what can I do.
    6. Regular stretching routine--complete failure. Will try for tomorrow but not entirely optimistic.

Despite the leg problems and the long drawn out cold/sinus/ears, (and even the rain/flooding this week), based on this week's performance, I feel like I'll be ending the month on a high note.

• Aprilfoolbride
    Options
    1. Workout clothes laid out? Um, not so much. I haven’t gotten in many am workouts this month. When life was crazy/hectic/sad/etc., I put am workouts on hold this month. Made it my business to walk during the day.
    2. I got in a 5 minute workout 6 days last week. Last week I met my step goal 5 times
    3. I did include an evening snack in my food budget.
    4. YES! I signed up for a Thanksgiving Day 5k. My sister invited me and we are going to walk it, push the kiddos in strollers if it’s nice. Gobble gobble!
    5. I did this probably 5 times last week.
    6. I don’t think that we went on any walks after school last week.
    7. 100% success so far!

And I’m going to post a thread for November Extreme Accountability.