Stuck and unsure how to rebuild my wagon to get on

Options
So yesterday I thought about actually calling my insurance about getting the ducks in a row for weight loss surgery.... Didn't go well. I was stressed all day and so jumpy. I shoved every horrible thing I could in my mouth and no nothing even tasted good. I have been self destructing since my nutritionist gave me the number to officially get the ball rolling.
I'm afraid that people will treat me differently when I lose weight. I'm afraid the doctors will tell me I can't have it and I'm stuck in this body causing me pain. That a life of back and knee pain will be all I have. The fear is causing me to eat myself to death. I have to get back on the wagon.
I need help.
Any tips or links or anything you have please share with me.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath, then take one step at a time! First, make the call, then take it from there. Keep a list of what you need to do. Be organized, and it will be less overwhelming!!

Sometimes we engage in self-destructive behavior out of fear - fear of change, fear of failure, fear of the unknown. Try not to be afraid of moving forward! You deserve to feel happy and healthy. You might want to start writing in a journal about how all of this is making you feel, or even seeing a therapist. I had therapy for a year before I ever started the process of having WLS just so that I felt comfortable about where I was at mentally and emotionally.

Also, even if the doctors do tell you that you can't have surgery, you are NOT stuck in a body that causes you pain. You will just have to take a different road to get to your goal, and you can do that!!

People will treat you differently when you lose weight. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but don't even be concerned with how others will treat you. Be concerned about how you treat YOURSELF. What is it about being treated differently that you are afraid of? I do feel I have been treated differently since losing weight, but it's been positive. People are supportive and proud and that helps when you are going through so much change. Also, I have more confidence and people see that and respond to that, and that is definitely different than before. If people treat you differently in a negative way, maybe those are people you don't need to interact with.

Call the doctor, and take the first step. You can totally do it, and you will be glad you did!
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I, too, was terrified to initiate the process, but it was absolutely the best decision I've ever made in my entire life. I also struggled with "food funerals" in the weeks and months leading up to surgery - I think it was my mourning period for the thing that was most important in my life at the time. The best advice I've gotten though is that your past does not dictate your future - my relationship with food is vastly different now than it was before surgery.

I encourage you to make the call to get the process started!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It can be daunting, but like Garber6th said, take a breath. Everyone is scared at first. Scared that the insurance company will say no and then what are we supposed to do? And scared that it will say yes and are we ready to make this huge, lifelong change? You are so not alone! As for eating everything in sight right now, that just a knee jerk reaction. You can get that under control, just take that breath.

Depending on your weight and possible co-morbidity issues (high blood pressure, diabetes, dibilitating joint damage to name a few) you will probably qualify or your doctor wouldn't have given you the number to get the ball rolling. Frankly, my bariatric surgoen's office did all the insurance stuff for me, so if you can throw it to a baratric team, do so. They are the experts after all. I qualified on weight alone as I was 386 pounds at my biggest. Point being, depending on your weight, you might not need anything more to qualify.

I too had constant back and knee pain and my mobility was shot. I'm not to goal yet (I lose slow and stall often) but two weeks ago I walked the south rim of the Grand Canyon, just to give you an idea of what you have to look forward to as the weight comes off! This is a great tool! I am regaining my life as well as my mobility! Getting the sleeve was the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Hang in there girl. Don't let the insurance company and all it's complications get you down. LIke Garber6th also said, make notes, get everything you need together, and stay organized. If this is important enough to you, you can make this happen.

Pat
  • Amie2790
    Options
    Sorry I hadn't responded. I called and had a hard time with getting the run around and I took it out on myself with food.
    Fortunately I'm on the brighter side now.
    I fear fake relationships due to being smaller. Which is silly. They come at all sizes.
  • Amie2790
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words and hope.
    I'm at 352 and I have all of the needs just unsure about the co morbity diagnosis but I'm sure there is one. I am going to call schedule with the Bariatric team today.