Just read Keto Clarity

Options
Howdy...New to myfitnesspal and to Keto lifestyle. I just finished reading Keto clarity and am ready to get into this lifestyle.
About 18 months ago I did a sugar detox and that went well (no longer crave the stuff)...But I still ate bread .pasta etc..Now looking to take it to the next level,,,a quick question...what do you think is the best and most accurate way to test for Ketones. I have the urnine strips,but I don't know much about blood or breath testing...any tips would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks.....Mike

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The urine strips are really not accurate. Blood test strips are accurate but expensive to buy the strips. I don't have any experience with breath testing but would be curious to hear about them.
  • safarirv
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply...I like the idea of breath testing,,but will try to find out if people using that method find it
    accurate...I will report if I find anything useful

Mike
  • VirtualMaddy
    VirtualMaddy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the Ketonix Sport breath ketone analyzer, it seems to work great. It blinks in different colors and gives a reading that correlates well with your blood ketone level. Since it's a one time cost, it's more cost effective than the urine strips for someone like me who tests often.

From what I've read, the urine strips will work well at first, but once you've been keto for a few months, it may not read accurately. Hydration levels may affect readings too. I think a company in the US is developing a breath analyzer too, but not sure if it's available yet.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Although they're not reliable for a few reasons, I bought Ketostix just to keep around. I rarely RARELY test at this point. I stay under 18g total carbs 95% of the time but if I eat zucchini and a lot of other veggies one day and end up at 25g total, I -might- test just to see what it looks like. My consistent weight loss + high energy is how I know I'm in ketosis. I think testing is alright in the beginning, but is not something I'd invest a lot of money in after the first month or two.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Although they're not reliable for a few reasons, I bought Ketostix just to keep around. I rarely RARELY test at this point. I stay under 18g total carbs 95% of the time but if I eat zucchini and a lot of other veggies one day and end up at 25g total, I -might- test just to see what it looks like. My consistent weight loss + high energy is how I know I'm in ketosis. I think testing is alright in the beginning, but is not something I'd invest a lot of money in after the first month or two.

I feel the same way... what's the point if you stay keto adapted? I think it might be useful if you're trying to up your carbs and you have some concern but I peed on a stick, it went purple.. good for me. LOL
  • safarirv
    Options
    I have the Ketonix Sport breath ketone analyzer, it seems to work great. It blinks in different colors and gives a reading that correlates well with your blood ketone level. Since it's a one time cost, it's more cost effective than the urine strips for someone like me who tests often.

From what I've read, the urine strips will work well at first, but once you've been keto for a few months, it may not read accurately. Hydration levels may affect readings too. I think a company in the US is developing a breath analyzer too, but not sure if it's available yet.

Thanks for the Ketonix review...very helpful and I will read the others in the link you provided
  • safarirv
    Options

So its sounds like when you know your personal carb tolerance level by testing its just a matter of limiting your carbs to that level
    and assume your in the range,,,still learning and appreciate your help!