Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Hello, name is Chris and I am new to the running challenges, and still pretty much new to running overall.

I never was able to really do running in my youth mostly due to always getting really bad shin splints every single time I started getting serious about distance running. So I accepted that I was not a runner. This was cemented after a knee injury in my 20's really.

Now in my 40's I began focusing on losing weight, and after a while started walking to get in exercise. I never thought it would lead to running, but it has.

I recently completed my first 10k, and am now seeing how I am doing in training to see if I can ramp up to a half marathon in my area in mid-November. I am OK if I am not able to train to that level in time, and my long run this weekend will be a make or break determination point. If I can't pull off the 8 miles for whatever reason, I'll just keep on running at 6+ miles and increasing distance as I can and have all of next year to look at longer distances.

Amazingly, I have not had shin splints once and I am running further on each run day than I ever did at any point in my life prior to my recent running escapades. My only setbacks have been from overtraining, and some rest and nutrition has pulled me through each of those quickly enough.

I admit I'm a little curious to see what adjustments I will have to make to running as winter approaches. I plan to keep running outdoors whenever possible, and learning how to adapt to weather patterns to fit in my runs. Worst case scenario, my gym has a small indoor track I can run on.

I'm currently sucking up as much info as I can, and have a lot of reading in a sticky post here on this group about running related sites and info. I've become a bit of a running addict, and I'm frankly OK with that. It's the first time that I can think of where a hobby or interest of mine was not only something I enjoyed doing, but had payoffs as meaningful to me as running has provided in terms of weight loss and fitness. I could definitely get into this and hope I never have to stop due to that knee injury. So far, so good, so I may have just been too worried all that time about my knees. I'm cool with that, I'll take what I have now.
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Morgan.
    I've always been into sprinting, but now I'm looking into distance running to improve my endurance and stamina. I hope to work my way up to a 5K by the end of the year.
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Andrea. I've been running for about 4 years and now I'm thinking of trying my first marathon. I'm going to follow a training plan, but I won't sign up for a race until I actually think I can finish it!
  • limarunner
    Options
    My name is Susie. I started running when I was 36 years old to lose weight. I joined a local running club which I am now President of. I have ran 17 marathons. My goal was one in every state. The last being in 2010 when I suffered a tear to a tendon in my foot. I am just getting back into running and plan on doing a half in TX this winter. I have rode my bicycle from Lima, OH to Grayling, MI and have canoed from Grayling, MI to Lake Huron on the Au Sable River. My bucket list is to hike the A.T.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the challenge. I like running long distances and am training for an ultramarathon (100km) next year. I'm not fast though and hope to build up speed at the same time. I try running on all sorts of terrains from single tracks to roads and also train on a treadmill.

Loved reading all your stories!
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Maria. I started using MFP in June and my gym workouts become more serious. At the gym, I started using more the treadmill, walking first and then it felt like starting to run. I discovered that I love it. I got a black nail and I discovered the world of running - I need good supportive shoes (due to pronation) and I just shop for running clothes and accessories.

Then, what better to run outside? So, I started the C25k program and I did 3 days, this week. And here I am joining this group and preparing my self for a monthly challenge.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kim from Somerset, England (a county full of countryside)

I started running in June 2014 to help me recover from a broken heart, decided it would be a good way to take my mind off things. Now loving it despite having to take a few weeks off due to a random shoulder injury.

Ultimate aim is the London marathon before I'm 40 but since I hear there's less chance of getting in than finding a golden ticket to the chocolate factory I might just have to settle for 'a' marathon!
  • BeccaKay96
    BeccaKay96 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just joined, Played soccer and volleyball most of my school life. I am taking up running again to try and lose weight/get fit. I live in the mountains of Colorado and will be trail running therefore I am starting slow! High altitude and freezing winter will be a challenge enough! 25 miles for October, my first challenge wish me luck!!! Add me if you like :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Just realized I never introduced myself. I'm a 53 year old single mom to the most awesome 14 year old girl. I have been running for just over a year on a dare from Skip. She challenged me to run a 5K with her at the end of last summer. I couldn't even run to the mailbox. So with the help of her cross country coach I decided not only to enter the 5K but run the entire thing. Two months later I finished my first 5K in just over 39 mins, ran the whole distance. I'm not sure who was prouder - me or her. She ended up having an achilles tendon injury and was in a boot and unable to compete in the race, but she was waiting for me at the most difficult part of the course to take pictures and cheer me on. Since then I've added more and more mileage (thanks to this group) and I want to run my first HM in April 2015. SSSSHH I haven't told Skip I want to surprise her.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hello Everyone..
    I am Vanessa and i have been running since 2002. I have ran 2 half-marathons and a ton of 5-10k's. My two favorite races are coming up. My 5k Pumpkin Run near Halloween and an 8k Turkey Trot in Charlotte NC on Thanksgiving.

I run at 5am every morning. I love to run early before everyone gets out on the roads. I run from 3-5 miles a day now since i am not training for anything at the moment.

I look forward to getting to know you all..

Vanessa
  • dianak6
    dianak6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So happy I found this spot. I'm Diana (61 years young). I live in Fairbanks Alaska so run in snow most of the year. My cutoff for running is about -20. Just completed the Equinox Marathon last month and trying to keep up the momentum this winter. I really like the half marathon distance. Would love one day to win a race in my age group. I'm really excited about the challenge. I hope I can figure it all out on the computer. Really would like help and advise on a winter running schedule, have a half marathon in San Diego in May!
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Mary Ann. I live in central FL I am 58 and getting ready for my first 5K and want to work up to half marathons. I just completed C25K and will appreciate any and all hints and helpful info to help me accomplish my fitnesd goals.:-)
    :#
  • ImNoAngel2
    ImNoAngel2 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm Jennifer & I'm Stan's (Stoshew71) wife. I'm a runner too not as good & fast as Stan but I'm pretty good. I've run mostly 5Ks & I would like to run my first 10K next year & run a HM as well. Stan has been pacing me 3 nights a week every week so I'm making good progress.

I look forward to getting to know everyone & being a encouragement to everyone. Have a great Tuesday!
  • kelseyjayep
    kelseyjayep Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I'm Kelsey and I'm back on MFP after a hiatus. I have crossed over from the "it's too hard to run" group and into the "wow this is actually fun" group. My goal is to run a 10k. Still looking for encouraging friends too so feel free to add me!

Looking forward to this month's running challege!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi!
    I already joined this group last month, but didn't notice the introduction thread in the section above the discussion until now...Better late than never, I guess, so, hello everyone!

I started running when I was 23. As a kid in school, I always hated it, but at some point as an adult I decided I should do some sports, and running seemed like the easiest option in terms of money and flexible times. For a few years, I went for a 30 minute run 2-3 times per week, until I gave it up (new city, new job, injury when I tried to pick the habit up again, ...).

On my 29th birthday this year I decided to start again (to get in better shape before I turn 30 ^^), so here I am. :-)
    For some reason, this time around I like running much better than in the past. I'm actually considering doing a 10k next year. Right now, I can't go that far without a few minutes of walking in between, but I'm sure the monthly challenges will help with improving that!
  • mjc1409
    mjc1409 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Meg. I ran my first 5k in September with no training as a spur of the moment decision after 2 beers. I came in at 41 mins. I loved the feeling, and I have gone for a run at least once a week since then. I want to get my time down to under 30mins, and have started interval training. My problem now is that it started snowing a week ago, and I am nervous to run on the ice. I'm looking forward to this group challenging me to get out there and keep pushing myself.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My name is Kendra. I am working toward running, but I am trying to overcome shin splints before that. Currently I walk and I am really striving toward being able to run. I started walking because my job was doing a 5k and I wanted to get in better shape for it. I haven't stopped walking (almost daily) since the last week of August.

exercise.png
  • runforit
    runforit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle, I'm new to MFP. I have been running for about 20 years and started marathon distance about 8 years ago. I have run 9 marathons and a few half marathons. I got injured in 2011 while running back to back marathons just so I could get a "Marathon Maniac" t-shirt!! Anyways, I've been on a slow recovery back and am thrilled to be able to run 10km distances now.

I'm excited to join this group and challenge!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hey, all. I'm Mel. I'm 52 yo. Married 30 years to MFH (My Favorite Husband). We live in the country in Mississippi and have two adult children. As far as running is concerned, I average between 150-175 miles a month. I've run some marathons and one 50K. 2015 plans are a Marathon on Valentine's Day then three weeks later another 50K. After that, I'll be lazy for a few weeks before I begin training for the Berlin Marathon. Not many races for next year but traveling to Europe next year shot a major hole in my racing budget! HA! Love, love, love running and what it has done for me. I am 4'11". My starting weight was 275lbs and I have lost 170. I've been running 3 years now. Wouldn't trade a single second of it. Happy Running, all!!!
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm Lisa, 34 year old mother of one very sweet one year old boy. I've been wanting to be a runner for a few years now, and keep getting disheartened, so I'm hoping that surrounding myself with other runners will help give me the extra mental strength! I've had problems with weight and hormones for a few years now, and know they are particularly closely linked, and that one isn't going to get fixed without the other. So I've decided age 34 is my year to get myself healthy, and I want development as a runner to be part of that.