non-GMO, cold pressed Canola oil?

Options
charleigh78
charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
I need ways to cut our food budget. My son is on a high calorie liquid diet that costs us $500+ a month. I noticed organic, non-gmo, cold-pressed canola oil at the store the other day. It is a little cheaper than olive oil. What do ya'll think? Since the processing is not chemical and it is organic/non-gmo...does that make it a good option?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Canola (rapeseed) is not a healthy fat at all imo. The name stands for "Canadian oil" so as a Canadian I hang my head in shame. I wouldn't trust the non GMO labelling either; canola is VERY prolific and is impossible to contain in just the intended fields. Cold pressed or not it has a terrible fatty acid profile imo (keeping in mind that omega 3s need to come from animal sources to do us any good). Would a little here and there be a problem? Likely not, but to choose canola as one's main oil? No. If you've ever smelled it in the field before harvest you would likely know it isn't something humans should consume. It's the worst smell; completely UNappetizing.

When calculating costs health needs to also be a consideration. Unless you never eat out or buy a processed food of any kind you are likely already consuming plenty of canola (and soy) so adding it in probably isn't beneficial. What about plain old butter, render your own lard, bacon grease, coconut oil bought in bulk?
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    ^ agree. canola is long chain fatty acid. Is horrible in so many ways. I doubt you will save enough by eating this toxin to affect your food budget. cut out something else other than good fats.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wow-Grocery prices are ridiculous, I understand you needing to cut corners with your son's nutritional situation.
    I just wanted to throw in, if by any chance you are near a Wal-Mart or Sam's, I am impressed with their selection of foods I didn't expect to find there. And with the new price catcher app, you can be fairly sure you are getting the best deal (I am not a fan of driving to twelve stores sales paper in hand to save 3.00 LOL). But my Wal-Mart has coconut and almond flour, coconut oil, chia seeds...they aren't in your face like normal processed foods but they are there. Sam's has bulk sized coconut oil. I hope that may help in a small way (also Sam's gas prices are very good-hey every penny counts!).

good luck!!!
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    First question why is your son on a high cal liquid diet? I'm hoping there's a medical reason behind it and it's not just for no reason. And even then the only time in my opinion that a high cal liquid diet is super healthy is when your a baby (breast milk)

It sounds like he's on a specific plan... Yes? I have a tonne of delish smoothie and soup recipes that are paleo ...don't cost that much and did I mention are tasty and full of good fats... if you want.

Avoid cold pressed canola oil!! A quick google of why it being cold pressed doesn't make it that much better will explain why.And as the others have said above bad bad bad.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    It is doctor mandated. He has crohn's disease and he is 13. It is not our ideal for him. We've tried everything else. Every supplement you could imagine, he ate perfectly paleo for a very long time, and even ate auto immune paleo for a bit. He still flared very badly. We were sent to a Research doctor who prescribed this high calorie, liquid diet. We have refused meds thus far. The meds for this include 4+ pages of awful side effects. I look at it this way....it isn't what we would consider ideal for him, but since we've tried everything ideal and it has failed, these drinks are so much better than the meds.

First question why is your son on a high cal liquid diet? I'm hoping there's a medical reason behind it and it's not just for no reason. And even then the only time in my opinion that a high cal liquid diet is super healthy is when your a baby (breast milk)

It sounds like he's on a specific plan... Yes? I have a tonne of delish smoothie and soup recipes that are paleo ...don't cost that much and did I mention are tasty and full of good fats... if you want.

Avoid cold pressed canola oil!! A quick google of why it being cold pressed doesn't make it that much better will explain why.And as the others have said above bad bad bad.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    "canola is VERY prolific and is impossible to contain in just the intended fields."

Yep, we learned this in my environmental science class at university...almost impossible to say that organic canola oil is actually completely organic.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Anyone here know what the scientific difference is between long chain fatty acids and medium chain fatty acids and how they impact our health when we consume them? I could google yes, but may as well keep the discussion flowing for others who might have the same question lol. What is found in fat like bacon grease which I use whenever I have on hand?
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    yes, first off canola is chock full of omega 6 - pro inflammatory and oxidizing oil. the MCT mediums and short chain (butter) are digested quickly and easily - directly to the liver - both providing "quick energy" and supporting cognitive health. Also helping blood lipids. Long chain and VLC require bile and digestion. Your body knows better ;)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I too avoid canola -- here is a recent thread on the subject of oils. Maybe too detailed :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1426679-understanding-fats-trans-unsaturated-saturated
  • charleigh78
    Options
    yes, first off canola is chock full of omega 6 - pro inflammatory and oxidizing oil. the MCT mediums and short chain (butter) are digested quickly and easily - directly to the liver - both providing "quick energy" and supporting cognitive health. Also helping blood lipids. Long chain and VLC require bile and digestion. Your body knows better ;)

Thank you for reminding me. I remembered from all my paleo reading a few years ago that there was a concern with canola oil but I couldn't remember if the only concern was the gmo-chemical extraction process. Seems how it is more than the process, I will avoid it. Up until now I have used olive or coconut oil.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh god that sounds hard.

I obviously don't know your situation and how far you went with the auto immune diet. But I would highly recommend trying AIP again once he has not had a flare up for a while, but make sure you are keeping a comprehensive food diary and are noting every change or response. I had a friend that had horrific gut problems where all she could eat was lettuce. She told me she'd tried paleo (which worked great for her autistic son) but it didn't work for her. I told her about the auto immune diet and told her to keep it slow and introduce only one thing at a time. In a month she went from just lettuce to cooked veggies to a little but of meat. And she had had problems for years (seriously she looked like she was dying when I first meet her). Healing the gut takes a long time so you have to be patient.

There's websites have lots of great info http://autoimmune-paleo.com/ and http://www.thepaleomom.com/

I wish you all the best and hope you keep us up dated :flowerforyou:
  • charleigh78
    edited October 2014
    Options
    nickymaire wrote: »
    Oh god that sounds hard.

I obviously don't know your situation and how far you went with the auto immune diet. But I would highly recommend trying AIP again once he has not had a flare up for a while, but make sure you are keeping a comprehensive food diary and are noting every change or response. I had a friend that had horrific gut problems where all she could eat was lettuce. She told me she'd tried paleo (which worked great for her autistic son) but it didn't work for her. I told her about the auto immune diet and told her to keep it slow and introduce only one thing at a time. In a month she went from just lettuce to cooked veggies to a little but of meat. And she had had problems for years (seriously she looked like she was dying when I first meet her). Healing the gut takes a long time so you have to be patient.

There's websites have lots of great info http://autoimmune-paleo.com/ and http://www.thepaleomom.com/

I wish you all the best and hope you keep us up dated :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the thoughts. When my son was diagnosed, I had already seen great success with my Hashimoto's and rosacea using a paleo diet so making the choice to put DS on it was easy. DS spent almost 2 years on a strict diet. At first we tried the SCD introduction plan, but cut out the few foods that weren't paleo (just cheese and peanuts). We saw progress but his inflammation was still pretty high so we moved to the AIP which provided even more improvement. I was so hopeful that we had found the solution and then he flared. His doctor was pushing harder than ever for the biologic meds (chemo meds), but the other option he offered was this research doctor who was having great success with the liquid diet. I cringe when I think of the ingredients (whey protein, sugar, etc), but I finally had to look at it as medicine and the side effects list is zero, versus the awful side effects of the chemo meds. He is supposed to stay 60% liquid calories inevitably. I am already considering how I can switch out the premade drinks with homemade alternatives. It needs to require almost not digestion. So just turning things into a smoothie might not work because it isn't broken down to the degree that the pharmaceutical shakes are broken down. He needs to get 60% of his calories in a form that doesn't require digestion.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It certainly sounds like he has a very complex problem and my thoughts are with you as you work through the issues involved. It can't be easy for you. You sound like an amazing parent and he is lucky to have you. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband has pretty severe CD. We got a vitamix and, even during a flare, he can drink smoothies. it really purees everything (if you run it for 45 seconds or longer.) He usually drinks fruit smoothies in the AM (berries, bananas, etc.) The fruit smoothies are quite dense (especially when almond butter and bananas are added.) another thing we used to do was blend it in the blender and then run it through a juicer OR fine mesh strainer (to remove the seeds and some fiber.) that yielded more juice, but only worked really well with soft fruit and veggies. I've also made chicken and veggie soup and run it through the vitamix to yield a very very smooth liquid.

Have you researched the various classes of medications for CD? My husband was diagnoses at 7.... and he is now 31. I can't say enough good things about the biological medicines. If you haven't, I would highly recommend you search PubMed and read the journal articles about the medicines that are published. if you cant access them, I would stop at your research physican's school library and look them up (most univeristy libraries will give you a one day pass for free. you can get a PDF copy of the article.) Not all CD medications are chemo drugs.

good luck!