chapped lips?

Options
mrsfancyab
mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
Anyone had issues with chapped lips as a symptom of keto? my lips have been dry in the corners, and now starting on my lips too, been getting worse and worse over past few weeks. I didn't think until tonight that it could be from keto...

I must say the side effects are kind of bringing me down. I've had muscle cramps, constipation... now this.

I have started taking a magnesium supplement. I feel as if I get enough sodium. I am trying to consume more & more & more water...

I was heavier in high school 287lbs... when I got out of high school I lost 100lbs by working out an eating healthy. I ate a lot of chicken breasts, brown rices, tons of veggies, fruit, good grains. I didn't count calories nor carbs...

I can tell a difference with LCHF in the way my clothes are fitting. But these side effects are brining me down tonight. I never had any bad side effects or had to take supplements with what I did to lose the 100lbs. I want to stick with this because I like the concept. I just wish the side effects would chill

Replies

• BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm new at this too (started in August) and I'm sure there are others who can give better answers than I can. I did read a book about low carb eating, and it suggested drinking broth with sodium once a day, to alleviate many of the side effects, especially in the beginning of the diet. I believe when you eat keto that you need more sodium than the average person.

The magnesium sounds like a good idea with the muscle cramps. Magnesium can also help with constipation too.

My first two weeks I was drinking water like crazy, and I was so thirsty! My lips were dry too. But I lost a lot of water weight then so I know that's one of the reasons. I had a couple of days when I felt extremely weak when trying to keep up with my toddler, I think if I had tried the broth idea those days that would have helped me but I didn't know at that time.

After about 3 days I started noticing some positive changes in the way I felt, although I was still adjusting. After 3 weeks or so I started to feel really, really good. I'm glad I stuck with it. Hopefully if you keep at it you will be glad you did.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm too new with lchf to know other suggestions but I'm applying a touch of coconut oil when I feel the lips starting to get uncomfortable and it seems to be helping. If you like the taste of coconut maybe you could try that?

:flowerforyou:
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to this as well, about 2 months and maybe one month of doing it right.
    I take no supplements except a multivitamin.
    The first 2 weeks are weird no matter what and I hear it is worse for women. I had the cramps, the heart palpitations (almost quit over that because of fat rational ).
    All I can say without knowing if you have any other medical condition or taking any meds (I hear meds can screw you up even more and definitely require medical help ) is that it all goes away and your body adapts.
    Broth is awesome for sodium, avocados with salt substitute are great for potassium.
    Nobody knows you body as much as you and your doctor so just keep watching yourself.

The only thing I can think of for the chapped dry lips is possible medication.

Good luck.
    KCKO
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my lips are VERY chapped, which is new to me because i never have that issue (we live in a very humid climate)
    my legs were cramping really bad last week, so i bought some bananas. i had been craving them anyway. :smile:
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    I've olive oil, coconut oil, and medicated lip balm on my lips... still no change.

I may need more salt to retain the water keto makes us lose.

I'm not on any medications.

I do a lot of avocado for potassium and my multivitamin for women has it as well
  • Ryapm
    Ryapm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try lanolin creams
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/21qslu/on_keto_since_20_daysfeeling_greatminor/

Not something I experienced but searching reddit it does appear to be something that comes up on occasion. Seems like there are a lot of experienced folks saying to use blistex/vaseline/whatever to help in the short term, and that it did go away/go back to normal eventually. In addition of course to making sure you are well hydrated and drinking lots of water.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I get low on Vitamin C. When I took a Vitamin C supplement, it went away. Try it. I take 500 mg of Vitamin C once in the morning and once at night. Since I started doing that, no more chapped bleeding lips, no more cracks at the corner of the lips.
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    I took a vitamin C packet last night I'll see if that works. for now I've adjusted my macros. I've been driving myself crazy about this diet. I think I'm going to adjust my approach a bit
  • MissLakeTime
    MissLakeTime Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This morning for the first time I put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee and as I've been drinking it I've been thinking how wonderful my lips keep feeling today. Maybe try coconut oil! :o)
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    I love coconut oil I keep it on hand!
    I have used it on my lips. I use it on my skin all the time makes it feel & smell so good!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Aw, MrsFancy, I am sorry you are struggling. I too have been a bit irritated with the dry lips (lots of chapstick, coconut oil) and intense thirst. Keto is tough, for sure and being pretty new myself, I am unsure whether it will be worth it in the long term. I think you know yourself best and whatever you decide is best for you, will be best for you. You, like all of us, are learning as you go. So tweak away and don't doubt yourself.

For me, I had the keto flu once already and expect to have it again this week as I bumped myself out of keto over the weekend. This time I am going to up my sodium intake (sip broth) and be careful not to go too far down in my carbs right away, knowing the extremes are not good. It sucks, but having lost 6 lbs in my first two weeks of keto, i'm willing to give it another shot and really challenge myself to stay in it for more then two weeks.

The side effects are tough though, and I have to say I am really enjoying my son NOT pushing me away because my breath is gross!!!
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    The side effects are tough though, and I have to say I am really enjoying my son NOT pushing me away because my breath is gross!!!

haha, goodness. i never had the breath issue thank goodess. i went to bite into my breakfast this morning my lips cracked and bled. so yea.... i changed up my macros quite a bit! I may have never had enough salt, never tried the broth. But for right now I'm stepping away from keto. If my body goes into keto cool, if not I'm not obsessing it. I will stay around 50-60 carbs a day. now opposed to the 20-30 I was doing. Well I hope this time the flu goes easier on you!! I do like not feeling bloated with keto so there are definitely good things about it! Hopefully the bloat won't resurface.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    I'm new to this keto thing too and had chapped lips but not too bad. I've recently added a magnesium supplement for muscle cramps..that's when it went away but it could be coincidence.

I noticed when I have more coconut oil to my diet (2 TBL spoons or more) my skin is no longer so dry.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    B vitamins help too. I take a B complex a few times a week.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    Afterthought: Drinking a lot of beverages could be washing the natural oils off your lips. Kind of like a kid who keeps licking their chapped lips making the situation worse.

I'm thinking of this now because I've drank over two quarts of water the last 3 days and as of today my lips feel parchy.
  • mrsfancyab
    Options
    B vitamins help too. I take a B complex a few times a week.
    I'lll try that. I've adjusted my macros. See if that helps. Take in more carbs. Etc...

I do supplements.

BansheeCat wrote: »
    Afterthought: Drinking a lot of beverages could be washing the natural oils off your lips. Kind of like a kid who keeps licking their chapped lips making the situation worse.

I'm thinking of this now because I've drank over two quarts of water the last 3 days and as of today my lips feel parchy.

true.