how to add more fat?

Options
cherriegh
cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
I started low carb-ing on 1at October, I've lost 7lbs so far maybe water weight. How can i add more fat in my diet and not go over my Calories set at 1650? i'm not exercising no time goal weight in 15lbs, what food would one suggest and if anyone has an eating plan for <25g carbs please share :)

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you strive to hit your macro numbers (carbs, fat, protein) and try not to go over them, then it's not possible to go over on your calories. The macro numbers are a percentage of the total calories, so hitting all of them exactly results in the exact calorie amount allotted (it should, anyway, labeling errors often results in the numbers being slightly off).

You seem to have a pretty decent grasp of what to eat, judging by your diary, and just need to tweak a couple of things. First, you probably don't need so much protein, so you can drop that down to about 100g. Then, increase your fat accordingly. That will give you a higher number goal to work with.

Now, how to actually go about getting it? For starters, trade the lean meats in for fattier cuts - get skin-on chicken and not so lean ground meats (in the US, the lean/fat content percentage is marked on the package; if you have that, too, favor the 80/20 over 90/10). Cook everything in a fat - butter, coconut oil, and lard/bacon grease are you friends in this situation. Use full cream or coconut cream instead of milk when cooking.

From there, it's just a matter of finding the balance of amounts that works for you.

On a side note, I highly recommend tracking sodium for the first couple of weeks. It's very important that you get enough sodium (and to a slightly lesser extent, potassium), especially in the beginning, because the body dumps sodium, and you risk getting deficient. So don't be afraid to salt things, and treat the default number MFP gives you for sodium as a minimum (ie - you want to go red with it).
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I'll try that :)
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I put cream into my coffee and some people add little butter. You can also use some butter and cream for cooking, eat some avocado and nuts!!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I started low carb-ing on 1at October, I've lost 7lbs so far maybe water weight. How can i add more fat in my diet and not go over my Calories set at 1650? i'm not exercising no time goal weight in 15lbs, what food would one suggest and if anyone has an eating plan for <25g carbs please share :)
    Cher;

Just to echo and amplify the excellent advice you've received so far I'd add:

A quick look at your diary shows two areas to look at.
    First is the skinless chicken fetish <G>. Chicken isn't a "bad" thing but it does indicate that you are likely still stuck in the "lean meats" dogma of the CICO crowd. Not your fault as it's pretty much all we've ever heard for most of our lives (thanks usda, doc, RD's).

As DW advised - move toward "high fat" meats (75/25 ground beef, well marbled steaks, etc) you'll be surprised how much it improves the macros.

Next is the protein issue which was mentioned but maybe not quite forcefully enough (IMO).

Excess protein intake isn't the "benefit" or "necessity" that you might have been led to believe for most folks. More is not better.

In fact, for those considering ketosis adaptation, excess protein intake can significantly decrease or even completely prevent successful adaptation.

Levels vary by individual and are dependent on such variables as age, weight, lean body mass, gender, exercise routines, etc, but on average anything above 25 - 30% is generally considered the point at which ketone production is impacted negatively for most.

The are a couple of methods of calculating your protein requirements.
    The simplest is to just multiply body weight (in lbs) X 0.37 - so @150# = 56g; @175# = 65g; @200# = 74g

Others advocate using a calculation based on lean body mass (LBM) - which the "simple" method above does not take into account. Theoretically, that should be more accurate but since both methods offer a "range" for the multipliers each is only a "guesstimate" based on the choices you make.

In any case the results are usually pretty close and most often significantly LOWER than current levels for most folks.

Here's more info and a couple of calculators that might help (although the BW x 0.37 is (IMO), "close enough". (click the link under "how much do we need" on the first page)

http://tinyurl.com/7njlec
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ^^x100

You might want to use this http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ as a way to help you with your macros. It guides you through the process and gives you the numbers to plug into MFP.

I don't add fat to things (except coffee), I cook (well my husband cooks) very simple foods. I get my fats and protein from meats, nuts and dairy.

Good luck to you! This diet has been a god-send to me.