Bran new

Options
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing Atkins. I have a few questions...
Did you guys buy the Atkins book to learn how to do it?
Do you all use an app on your phone, or do you find the my fitness pal app suffices?

I sure hope this works.

Thanks,
Patti

Replies

• vaporhero3
    Options
    Reading the book helps. I listened to the abridged audio book. But you can learn alot from reading articles online. The MFP app has worked just fine for me. I started Atkins 5 months ago and have lost 64lbs. Hope this helps :)
  • PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Reading the book helps. I listened to the abridged audio book. But you can learn alot from reading articles online. The MFP app has worked just fine for me. I started Atkins 5 months ago and have lost 64lbs. Hope this helps :)

Wow, 64 pounds is great! Thanks, that helps. There are just so many diets out there that after awhile I just feel frustrated by them all and all the conflicting information. Some say that Atkins is bad for your kidneys, have you had any trouble with that?

Thanks again,
    Patti
  • vaporhero3
    Options
    I've never had any problems other than some back pain from my spine having more room to move without all the excess fat. And yes, everyone has an opinion and it can be very stressful. That's why I left mfp a few months ago. Once you figure your body out andhow it works it gets easier. Like iI've learned that my body does best on meat and veggies. I can pig out (cheat) once and still stay in keto, but if I cheat two meals in a row I'll gain like 4lbs. Just listen to your body and let that be your guide. Also, when I started drinking more water the weight melted off. Any questions just message me.
  • Abydos3
    Abydos3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the Dr Atkins: New Diet Revolution as I go along. I don't use any of the apps, just keep a running tally in my head as the day goes on.

I'm on day 12 of induction and having a weight bobble. It could be anything from having bacon(tasted extra salty and therefore holding on to a bit more water than usual), it could be that my husband and I spent the weekend wrestling with and pouring concrete in the backyard(muscle gain? I'm not holding my breath). It's still driving me crazy though, I'm too easily discouraged. Doesn't help that my daughters birthday is Saturday(cupcakes!)

My question for you, VaporHero3, is what if I don't reach 20 carbs? I'm just not hungry for them, I'm eating plenty, but I don't think I'm making it consistently to 20. Todays eating for example: Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and a bit of bacon; Lunch: about 5.5 net carbs of salad with a pair of hard boiled eggs, Dinner: about 6.5 net carbs of salad and a half serving(half of 1/8th pan) of chicken, sausage and mushroom casserole(http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mushroom_chicken-sausage_casserole.html) about 2-3 net carbs. I'm not hungry in between meals so I don't think I should be eating just because, and I wasn't really hungry for dinner. If I didn't get headaches for skipping meals, I might have skipped dinner, or at least eaten less. Any thoughts you have would be wonderful?