3 days post-op Gastric Sleeve and still hungry!

Options
Hello. I just had the gastric sleeve done on Monday. I haven't really had any pain, haven't taken my pain medication once, i've been taking the antacid and the nausea medicine but stopped taking the nausea medicine yesterday. Also, I was constipated since Saturday but finally got things going today (THANK GOD) with some milk of magnesia. I have been starving since I left the hospital. I talked to the RN at my doctor's office today and she just suggested switching over to the phase 2 protein menu. I've been drinking as much liquid as I can get down (on monday and tuesday most things made me feel nauseous and throw up so I did a lot of sleeping those first two days.
Today I had 1/4 cup cream of mushroom soup for lunch
1/4 cup cream of mushroom soup for dinner
(in between "meals")
1/4 cup jello
about 2 oz of yogurt
8 oz apple juice
2 popsicles
and vitamin water and regular water

But I can still feel the hunger pangs and hear them too. Is this hunger going to continue until I get to start eating "real" food at 6 weeks?!?! I really wasn't hungry during my protein shake, 800 calorie a day, 1 week long pre-op diet, and lost 6 pounds, should I just go back to that??

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would put in a call to your program's nutritionist. He or she will be able to work with you to find a solution.

My post op diet is two days (today and tomorrow) of what they call Bariatric Clears, which is aiming for 100g protein mixed only with water or clear broth, Isopure drinks, SF Jello or popsicles and 64 ounces of liquids. Starting Sunday I get three weeks of adding SF pudding, yogurt, cream of wheat or grits (not oatmeal) and soups without chunks. That will take me to my first surgeon follow up in the middle of the month.

Again, talk to your program's nutritionist and work through it with them.

Rob
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your protein in? I didn't really see anything in your menu that was high in protein and that is key. Its probably wise for you to continue protein shakes in addition to other liquids, and the protein will help you feel full. I am 2 weeks post op and I still drink 2 protein shakes a day (when I can get them all down), in addition to isopure for a boost at night.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I was just a little post-op, I was waking up with what I thought were terrible hunger pains. I switched my prilosec from the morning to the evening and that helped a lot. It sure did feel like hunger but I think it was more acids and gas in there. Also, get your protein in - it will keep you feeling full.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Your diet doesn't sound like it has much protein in it which is probably why you're hungry. My program didn't include things like sugar free jello/popsicles. Everything I had was high protein right from the beginning liquid stage. I never felt hungry and the protein is probably why. Talk to someone in your program about adding some unflavored protein powder to things like the soups or in going with a higher protein option.
  • suzannemichelle614
    suzannemichelle614 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree....try adding more protein. I have always been more of a carb aholoic never protein - and hence my weight issue in more ways then just curbing my appetite. Now I won't eat anything that doesnt benefit my nutrition and protein intake. Really makes a difference.
  • Sleevarilla
    Sleevarilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're feeling true hunger. All of your nerves were cut and your stomach hasn't healed. Don't confuse gurgling and talking tiny tummies with hunger growling. Acid mimics hunger, are you on a PPI? Thirst also mimics hunger. Are you getting at least 64oz/day?
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sleevarilla--I though I was having hunger--but I think now the gurgling etc. was just healing. Get that protein in---to feel full!