October Chat

Options
Fig_1946
Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
Good Evening! Thought I'd start this off.

It's 5:30pm, the birds are in bed and I've just taken my nighttime meds. I've been up since 1am and am SO tired! I hope I get better sleep tonight....this constant waking up at 2am is really getting me down. For months now I've been going on 4 hours of sleep a night at the most.

I LOVE October! The beautiful colored leaves, the air so crisp and spicy smelling, pumpkins......

Not much new here. My weight is stable, but I'm still aiming to lose another 6-10 pounds.

Replies

• Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Marion,

Nice of you to start the month. Perhaps the Autumn air will help you get some rest. You are Upstate New York, the leaves as you say must be beautiful about now. Hope it's a nice Fall and winter doesn't come too early in your neck of the woods, unless of course you like the cold.

Happy Trails,

Claudine
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I love October too and not just because it's my birthday month...love the change in the weather, the colours, swishing leaves underfoot....

But, after a visit to my gynaeacologist today and a little unexpected procedure, I can't go swimming or to Aquafit for 4 weeks and no strenuous exercise for three days ....so not a great start to the month!

:ohwell:

Jean
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I love the fall colors, too. I don't like thinking about what follows, though, here in the Midwest because I'm not a fan of cold and snow. You have to take the good with the bad, I guess.

Jean, hope you feel better soon and get the ok to do all the things you love to do.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I will confess, I like spring better than fall, but as long as the weather stays good enough to continue my lunch time walks, I'll be happy.

Animals are starting to find new homes for winter. A skunk was trying apparently to dig a bigger hole under my front porch and worked itself into a heart attack. You should have seen me last night standing across my driveway throwing tennis balls at a black and white "lump." :laugh: Then sprayed it with a long stream of ammonia. Nothing. I still wasn't going to touch it. Critter Control will do it today for $39.95. Well worth the expense!

Have a big project at work starting that will culminate mid-December. Haven't had a BIG move project this large in awhile. Will be nice to actually "do" what I "do."

I took an additional walk last night on the track so I took the time to try out some new music. I normally have a playlist that I use that I know if I walk to the beat I'm walking about 4 mph. I keep this on my phone and then I listen to it when I walk (dance) the track. I occasionally then listen to a Pandora station called Pop Fitness Workout and find out what new songs are out that keeps me at that pace and I then go home and download them. Downloaded 4 new ones last night and anxious to walk to them tonight. So, my track walking music is basically current Pop/HipHop. Very high energy, very fast beat. I cool down and strength train with a Pandora "Rat Pack" station - Sinatra, Martin, Sammy, Cole, Bublé, Connick, Jr., etc . The Great American Songbook stuff. My stretching music is a Pandora station I created called Rod Stewart which is Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, Clapton, Sting, Adele, Bruno Marz mellow stuff to relax to. I do the stationary bike while watching foreign tv shows and movies on Hulu. All of the above I can do on my smartphone. I listen to nature if walking outside. If I'm not working out and want to listen just for pleasure or in my car, I listen to Classical (preferably Baroque) or NPR news. Road trips: 80's, Meatloaf, etc.

So my question for October is what, if any, music do you listen to when working out or how do you make the time go faster and keep motivated to go that extra 5, 10, 15 minutes?
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good Evening everyone! I love October, as much as I would rather have summer. October is my favorite month. Indian summer, beautiful color. It has been a fantastic month so far so warm and sunny!

Charlie I really love music to walk by as well. I really like fast beat music. However being a "grown up" flower child I listen to Crosby, Stills and Nash, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Carly Simon, Dobie Brothers. Plus my kids have gotten me into some great music~~
    One Republic, Adele and much others. I need to be motivated enough to exercise and when I get my sneakers on and head outside put those head phones in. IM ALL SET TO TROT :happy:

Trouble is I just don't do it as much as I should. I have a new goal now!! I want to lose 10 lbs by January 2nd.

That is going to be work~~~~going through the holidays :drinker:
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Happy October everyone...

I am back again...I was on a 3 day business trip that did not allow for logging into MFP at all (Long days and long nights...). The outcome of the trip is that I am going to be much busier for the next 3 months, at the very least. So...I will need all the support I can get from this group to stay focused on continuing to stick with the program :ohwell:

Thank you all in advance
    - JB
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Charlie,

You really have it all so well planned out. Never thought of trying Pandora on my smart phone. Like you, I love working out to hip hop. I too like Bruno Mars and Adele and I like One Republic a lot also. The music I lined danced to has most of all of the artists you mentioned, Sinatra, Buble, etc. I have them in my playlists on my phone. Makes me enjoy the work-outs so much more with the tunes. Hopefully, in a few weeks, I can try dancing again; even if it's just a beginner class, Yuk! But there will be less twisting and pivoting, I'll see if I can handle it.

Happy Trails,

Claudine
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Good evening all. I am happy for those of you who are enjoying your cooler weather. We are still in the 2 hottest months of the year here although the last week has not been too bad. But today was hot and it is still really warm this evening.

Jean. Feel better soon. Are you allowed to do sitting exercises? That is what I have been doing with my broken foot.

JB. Good luck for the next few months. Knowing your triggers now will help you through.

Charlie. Your music selections sound interesting. When I was walking, I listened to audio books that I borrow from a library through Overdrive. It made me want to get back out again to hear the next section. They do not help with the pace of course but given the heat I was not so interested going faster. I may need to consider music when I can walk again next month. For dancing around the house I like good old rock n roll or swing.
  • retiredholly54
    retiredholly54 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't participated in or even dropped by our group in months and the result was a disaster for me. Goes to show how important it is to have people around you with common goals, a few stumbles & struggles and great results. As fall has crept in, it has become too lonely a feeling for walking, so I'm going to put on some hip hop videos to dance to, watch my taped shows while on the bike, and go to a Zumba class with a friend once a week - will be twice once she is done a course she is taking.

One of the most important things will be to drop by here to see what's up.

:smile:

Holly
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    I'm back again. Hubby is also trying to drop a few pounds so hopefully. I can stay on track this time.

I am loving being retired :). Getting a daily 1-1.5 mile walk in, in addition to my exercise activities, that can't hurt.

When I use music it is ROCK and ROLL, with some Zumba stuff these days mostly. . I need something to keep me going. I also use the remixes that are done by DJ Steveboy, they are bpm and available for free via podcasts. Works for me. Those are more techno/house music remixes but I really enjoy them for exercise activities.

Hope everyone else is enjoy good weather and the fall colors. Colorado is gorgeous at the moment.
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Retire happy, any music is good when it makes you want to move and it makes you happy :-)
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It was 98 degrees today and I envy those of you get the beautiful fall foliage.
    I have had lots of trouble sleeping lately and it results in feeling exhausted most of the time.
    But my eating patterns have been healthy and I hope to lose a few pounds this month.
    Always have music to accompany my morning bike ride.
    Here's to a great month to all.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Happy Fall Ya'll! I love the Fall weather and today we have atually cooled down and break a cool weather record. All the way down to 59. For North Florida this time of year that is amazing. I am hoping to get really back on track this month, the past three or four have been terrible, lots of personal issues going on. BUT - over that hump now and can get my life back on track.

I am going home to decorate for Fall after work, which I usually do as soon as it is October! Good luck to all this Fall
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Going to bed now and try to get back on track!! I am getting too old for these night shifts!! I can hang on for 2.5 more years then retire ( I hope ). I love the fall in Upstate New York, it is beautiful and we have had a great one!! Today the cold wind blew and stripped many of the trees :sad: That is a sign of summers end!! I really hope we do not have a "wicked winter" like we did last year ~~
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Here in the Pacific Northwest, the maples are shedding only an occasional leaf--a first sigh before the big drop that fills our driveway and yard. Temperatures have been perfect the last few days, and the fall rains are starting late. Although I love the soft rain we get here, it's nice to enjoy the clear view of Mt. Rainier.
    It's perfect walking weather, and I don't have to wrestle the raincoat onto our rescue dog before we set out.
    Last little thing--my weight-loss panel doesn't show though I've tried to set it so it will. So written report--24 pounds lost since April, and more coming off recently as my steps-taken and calisthenics increase. My goal is to lose another 65 or so pounds.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm testing some of the new emoticons out

:cookie::warning::kiss:

as well as the color text.
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's turning out to be a good month for me. Feeling good and full of expectations ;)
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Back at home. I love where I live, but hate leaving the lake! At least when I'm getting ready to go between places, I get a lot of steps in doing the pack-up chores and toting :\

Earlier this week I got up before dawn to see the moon eclipse. Unfortunately, it was so foggy I couldn't see my feet much less the sky!

Yesterday I decided to follow a intro to zumba steps on YouTube. What I learned (I already know I have either no rhythm, coordination or both) is that a body uses completely different muscles walking to the side than it does walking ahead. ouch. This just from the intro! I'm trying to add some side walking into my routine now, but I'm a long, long LONG way from being able to do Zumba!

Fall was my favorite season when I lived in Wisconsin, and I miss the beauty of it now that I live in Gulf Coast Texas. I envy you who are enjoying the colors and fresh bite in the air now (but I won't envy you in a couple of months LOL).
    -ker
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Here in central Massachusetts our trees are just hitting peak. We have had such beautiful weather to enjoy it, too. Nice crisp temperatures for walking!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have been really down for over a week.....was told I couldn't exercise or swim for a month which seemed to throw me right off track....it was my birthday and I ate out a few times and had a few drinks......but then ate chocolates and didn't even think about logging......but today I saw the light and decided to get back on track.....still not feeling great but hopefully more settled in my mind....then I see they have changed things here and I couldn't find you ...panic! But found where I am now in more ways than one and loving the look of the place...but...no tickers? Oh well...never mind

Jean :D