Treadmil vs road running

Options
Holy hell on a 40 pound cracker! I've been doing pretty well, and quite pleased with myself, running the C25K on the treadmill. A good pace, which I've been increasing, good body posture, easy cool down. Made it through week 4 (twice) with really no trouble.

Then Sunday morning I "ran" in my neighborhood. Could NOT get through the running intervals. The podcast I'm using says week 4.5 (a week 4 supplemental) should be 6 minutes running, 2 minutes walking. I could only make it 5 minutes each time, and that nearly killed me.

I guess the good news is that I can do 5 minutes rather than the original 45 seconds I started with. But it does show me how much more I have to go before I can comfortably run an actual 5K in the actual out-of-doors.

Anyone else suffer this badly their first time on the road?

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes. I completed the program on a treadmill and could run 30 minutes straight. Went outdoors and was lucky if I ran 10 minutes without walking. It was an eye-opener!
    The way it was explained to me (don't know if its true but it makes sense) was that while training on a treadmill one set of muscles (those that propel you forward) are not trained, so moving outdoors will take you back a bit until those muscles catch up in strength to the other sets.
    Hang in there and keep running on the road as much as possible. You'll catch up with the program in a few weeks (or less). Road running is much more interesting than a treadmill. Slow your pace until you catch up. That helps tremendously.
    If you have hills in your area, they are another eye-opener but fantastic training. Don't avoid them but be prepared to take it even slower and not make it to the top without walking for the first few times.
    Hang in there! You'll be running the roads in no time.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I struggled a lot when I attempted to transition to outside running, got frustrated and gave up. I think for me the transition was harder due to all of the hills in our neighborhood, and by the fact that I wasn't being consistent in my training (i.e. less than three times a week). I have restarted now and been able to do two days of week three. We should start a support group for the transition...

ETA: I love your hat, by the way!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    What many recommend is to set the treadmill to a 1-2 % incline for a while.

I made the switch to road running last spring. Now can't stand running on a treadmill.
  • lindaholtzhausen6
    Options
    I have done both! I train on the treadmill and do road races over weekends just for fun....try to mix it up! I am struggling more on the treadmill than on the road because the races motivate you and the treadmill is boring (even with a movie on)
  • LadyWacko
    LadyWacko Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had the complete opposite problem! I completed the program running outside. I can run 35-40 minutes outside, no problem, I love it. 5 minutes on a treadmill and I feel like dying. I think it's just what you're used to.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    LOL! Yes....this is totally normal. I wish I'd known that before I first went out on the road. I was so, so disappointed with myself when I transitioned to the outdoors. I went from running about 45-50 minutes straight to about 10-15 minutes before needing a short walk break. If you're unprepared for this, it's very disappointing.
    The reason that I heard for this was that when running on the treadmill you are not training a set of muscles that propels you forward, so when you move to the outdoors these muscles tire and hold you back. Not sure if this is true but it made sense. There's also the fact that the road is not perfectly level. There are always changes in the terrain that you need to adjust to. That takes a little getting used to.
    It takes a couple of weeks but it's worth it the effort. Running outdoors is more interesting, usually more comfortable and a lot, lot more fun.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Ooops...I see I replied before. Sorry. It's still a good topic. :smiley:
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I started running last winter on a treadmill. Completed the C25K and was regularly running 10k. When the weather turned warmer I wanted to try running outside and realized a couple things instantly. I started off running way too fast. I was totally gassed by mile 3. Got so used to the treadmill moving at a constant pace that I really had issues pacing myself. I still struggle with it. The second thing is I just didn't have the endurance outsider that I did inside. Elevation changes, wind, heat/sun, etc. I think all takes a part in that.
    I have been running outside all summer, and fall but will start transitioning back to mostly indoors very soon. I did hit the treadmill a few times so far and holy cow was it easy. Knocked out 8 miles without even thinking. Getting over the boredom is going to be the biggest challenge me thinks/
  • PaytraB
    Options
    mheebner wrote: »
    Getting over the boredom is going to be the biggest challenge me thinks/

This. That's what TVs, music and audio books are for. :smiley: