Alzheimer's and Coconut Oil & MCT

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I was bouncing around on YouTube and saw that there has been some anecdotal stories about Coconut oil reversing Alzheimer's. I watched them and the person takes anywhere from 2 - 6 tablespoons @ day for several weeks. Then they explain how the MCT feeds the damage brain cells (because the glucose feeding of the brain wasn't functional anymore) and the ketones released from the Coconut oil ~ feeds the brain and they slowly get some of their mental capacity back.

What is so frustrating about the videos ~ is there is NO mention of trying the full Ketogenic diet on the patient! As far as I can tell, they still eat a normal carb diet. I am literally yelling at the video!

Both of my grandmother's died from Alzheimer's. They both had it for years and years, it was horrible to see their body looked just fine, but their mental capacity gradually diminished until they were basically a vegetable.

If I would of known then what I know now, I would of personally put them on a Keto diet.

Just think, if this really works, you could open up a nutritional Keto "home". You would make millions $.

Does anyone have a parent or grandparent that has Alzheimer's?

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    The trouble with Alzheimer's Disease is that there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet, and there is frantic research going on about everything you can think of. However, just a couple of weeks ago a paper was published where they had managed to reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease / cognitive decline. It was only a small group of people, but the results were quite dramatic. This time, instead of trying to find one magic solution, they tried a combination of things, and the approach worked. It was a really important study, because it was the first time anyone had been able to demonstrate success (other than anecdotally). Ketosis seems to have been one of the factors involved (through fasting?), but not the only one. And they did use coconut oil. Here's the paper: http://www.impactaging.com/papers/v6/n9/full/100690.html (scroll down - at 'patient 1' there is a summary of what they did). And yes, I have a vested interest in this as there is AD in my family.
  • DittoDan, that had to be so hard to witness your grandparents going through Alzheimer's. It's one of those diseases that's said to be more painful to witness than to have. My condolences.

Coconut oil is good for many neurological issues. Parkinsons, Epilepsy, Autism, etc....keto diet is great for these conditions as well. I'm assuming the reason why keto diet isn't mentioned a solution because it requires in depth understanding doctors assume us simple folks can't figure out for ourselves. Thank goodness for the World Wide Web and an abundance of literature published on the subject. However in the least-Keto dieting isn't conventional nor uncontroversial. Keto as to veganism representing the polar extremes in the diet context. They're both not well received in the general population.

I came down with a idiopathic nerve virus a couple of years ago, something similar to that of West Nile, and coconut oil was mentioned to me for he first time regarding it's benefits by my father...who isn't known for naturalpathic remedies. My mind did get sharper taking two tablespoons a day plus beatifying my skin, hair, nails.

Alzheimer's within itself is very complex, as Miss Maggie stated, it isn't a one-solution disease. Vit A supplements have shown improvement as with vitamin E and fish oil. Which brings me back to what makes sense is the keto diet. I believe all of these are oil base fat soluble.

• DittoDan
    edited October 2014
    BansheeCat wrote: »
    Coconut oil is good for many neurological issues. Parkinsons, Epilepsy, Autism, etc....keto diet is great for these conditions as well. I'm assuming the reason why keto diet isn't mentioned a solution because it requires in depth understanding doctors assume us simple folks can't figure out for ourselves. <snip>

WOW! That is so true! Its funny, sometimes us common folk are smarter than university trained doctors. I watched Dr. Peter Attia (one of his videos lead me to the Keto diet) say that when he went to med school that he didn't even remember much - if anything - when they got to the nutritional side of medicine.

Most doctors solutions involve taking pills, testing, surgery. Both my family doc and endocrinologist only ever gave me medicines for weight loss and my diabetes. Ultimately I asked them to let me get bariatric surgery and they were all for it. I thank God I found this diet the same day I met with the Bariatric Program Manager (Aug. 29th). And last Friday I put on indefinite hold the Bariatric plan.

I asked both of my doctors why they never told me about the Keto diet. Both had non-existant/lame answers. Both actually knew quite a bit about the diet and they support me doing it.

If anyone wants to read a short, but more detailed account of how I found the truth of the Keto diet, go here:

http://tinyurl.com/pkmlbz5

And if you want see a wonderful full length movie with Meryl Streep and the Ketogenic diet, its free on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/HyeC9IiFKpw

Enjoy!

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Now you've got me sucked into to Meryl Streep movie. I love her...errands can wait.

I'll check out the other link too.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Just watched the movie.....wow, moving stuff. Meryl is perhaps one of my favourite actresses, I couldn't help but cry ........won't say much more to give everyone a chance to see it
  • DittoDan
    I'm glad you liked it :D I watched it again last night. Brought me tears again. Caught some more details the second time around.