Now that we are back, how is everybody doing?

Replies

• snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    snaps27: One thing I have noticed that after a big gain if I get right back on track to fasting the weight comes off fast. That's why I never give up. :)

Thanks, I will never give up ;)
  • bridall
    bridall Posts: 45 Member
    snaps27: One thing I have noticed that after a big gain if I get right back on track to fasting the weight comes off fast. That's why I never give up. :)

Yes I have also noticed this. My weight jumps up for no apparent reason, but I stick with fasting and it comes back down as though it never happened.
  • snaps27
    bridall wrote: »

Yes I have also noticed this. My weight jumps up for no apparent reason, but I stick with fasting and it comes back down as though it never happened.

Thanks for all the reassurance, it really bummed me out being right at the end of my 6 week target. I will keep at it.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    I'm gonna make a plateau thread. But I'm gonna make the noobie FAQ first. Snaps, try search in the forum for plateau meanwhile? or reassess your eating protocol:)
  • snaps27
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a plateau thread. But I'm gonna make the noobie FAQ first. Snaps, try search in the forum for plateau meanwhile? or reassess your eating protocol:)

cool thanks
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Another group!!! I'm doing well. Today is week three - yesterday was a fast day which went really well. I think Mondays are easier because of the fact that I eat more during the weekend. We made pizza for dinner last night and I had calories to spare for some treats which is always nice.

Down 9 lbs so far. Hoping to see a loss this week but I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have one due to how I ate this last weekend. :/
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a plateau thread. But I'm gonna make the noobie FAQ first.

LOVE this group! Everyone really cares about each other and watches out for one another. The biggest reason I have been able to stick to 5:2 is because of you all. Feels like we are all fighting the battle together. <3<3<3

• jknight001
    jemimasmum wrote: »
    After whinging about no progress 10 days ago, the scales have deigned to register a loss. 2lbs this week. Also need to ckeck some measurements as there was a woman with a curvy waist in the mirror today. I am comfortable with this eating pattern so I need to be patient as it seems I'm a tortoise rather than a hare. Still hoping I can shift 10 lbs by my 50th at the end of the year.

I am not losing like others either but I am making slow progress. We can be tortoises together and bring up the rear in the 5:2 group. :)

• angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    i am definitely a tortoise - glad to see i have some company.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    If you have input about plateaus, send me a pm. Describe your situation, and what you might think is stopping or slowing your weight loss. I may not be able to answer right away, and you may get an answer you don't want to hear... add me if you have closed diary.

But I will do my best to give an objective answer and a true second opinion to what can be changed. We all hit plateaus once in a while. I'm doing this out of curiosity to the how, why, what and when. I was stalled for almost a year, so I have done mistakes too!

Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor.
  • jknight001
    angela233Z wrote: »
    i am definitely a tortoise - glad to see i have some company.

As long as we keep at it we will reach our goals!
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Hey guys. I asked this before but think the last group went "phut" before I saw an answer.
    If you are tracking on MFP in conjunction with doing 5:2, do you set your daily calorie goal at TDEE? Do you track exercise burns too? My TDEE is around 1900-2000 depending on the calculator and I've set my MFP at 1800 (as a guide for my NFDs)...but I also track my exercise cals cos it makes me feel better than logging a "1".

I'm guessing that will still give me a pretty accurate represenatation of my intake/output...but maths has never been my strongpoint so I'm interested in what others do.

Cheers!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Hi everyone! Fasting day for me today, it was Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend and I definitely feasted. I hope it doesn't affect my weigh in on Friday but we'll see. I'm thinking of fasting for three days this week - today, Thursday and Saturday. Not sure yet though!
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    ...If you are tracking on MFP in conjunction with doing 5:2, do you set your daily calorie goal at TDEE? Do you track exercise burns too? My TDEE is around 1900-2000 depending on the calculator and I've set my MFP at 1800 (as a guide for my NFDs)...but I also track my exercise cals cos it makes me feel better than logging a "1"...
    CarbMonster has a better strategy on this than I do, hopefully she catches your question.

On fast days I eat my 600, that's easy. On MFP I set my TDEE factor to sedentary (the lowest...and I wish I could set it lower), and then I set my "target loss" to 2 lbs a week. I have so much to loose that I don't see 4 lbs a week as being an "unhealthy" weight loss goal (2 lbs from the target, and 2 lbs from the fasting), but lately it's been closer to 3. Plus the calorie goal I'm given is not too low (still achievable), because my MFP TDEE is way up there (due to my size). Like you, any exercise (not much) I add in order to keep track.

• debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Well after a complete blowout over the weekend, my last weekend away with the girls before xmas. I weighed myself and have managed to put 7lb on. I weigh myself every day, but only register Friday mornings. So I decided to fast yesterday and tomorrow, and after just 1 fast I've lost 5 of the 7lb. I'm now hoping if I have an ok day today, and another fast tomorrow, I could stay the same, or even lose.......

I've been doing 5;2 for around 5 months and have so far lost 37lb.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Hey guys. I asked this before but think the last group went "phut" before I saw an answer.
    If you are tracking on MFP in conjunction with doing 5:2, do you set your daily calorie goal at TDEE? Do you track exercise burns too? My TDEE is around 1900-2000 depending on the calculator and I've set my MFP at 1800 (as a guide for my NFDs)...but I also track my exercise cals cos it makes me feel better than logging a "1".

I'm guessing that will still give me a pretty accurate represenatation of my intake/output...but maths has never been my strongpoint so I'm interested in what others do.

Cheers!

For me I have my diary set up at 1.5lb a week to lose. I go from sed to lightly active depending on what my fitbit is looking like. And then I eat that number and then some of any I burn.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member

I set MFP to maintain for the 5 days, but don't tend to eat back my exercise cals. On fast days I just stick with 500 cals.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    jknight001 wrote: »
    LOVE this group! Everyone really cares about each other and watches out for one another. The biggest reason I have been able to stick to 5:2 is because of you all. Feels like we are all fighting the battle together. <3<3<3

Feel the same! Definitely keeps me going.

Progress so far:
    Week 0: -7.4 (amount lost trying it out/cutting back in July)
    Week 1: -5.2 ("official" start)
    Week 2: -2.8
    Week 3: -1.8
    Week 4: -1.8
    Week 5: -1.8
    Week 6: -1.8
    Week 7: -2.8
    Week 8: -2
    Week 9: -1.4
    Week 10: -2.2
    Week 11: -1 (in progress)

-32...ahh!!!! Mini-goal is to keep pushing during holidays and get down to -50 for NYE/wedding on NYE. I picked that number because it would be pushing myself to keep to the program during the holidays (and is a little less than my avg over time...and 1.8 was kind of my number for awhile, too haha).

The idea of goals is starting to get interesting. For the first time, I have felt that I could be happy just maintaining for a week or my whole world wouldn't fall apart if I didn't lose or meet a goal. Before, I would be chained to the scale and would feel like throwing it all away if I didn't lose a ton of weight each week. Instead, I feel THANKFUL that the lowest weight and the highest weight of each week is continuing to go down.

I'm still in shock that I have found a diet that is compatible with normal, everyday life and is adaptable to reality. I feel crazy for trying to do that with crazy restrictive diets in the past and trying to eliminate or avoid parties or outings with friends to avoid food. Instead, especially during holiday time, I will keep doing what I'm doing now- control the days I can by keeping calories low (fast days are awesome, but any calorie deficit is a win) and then enjoying holidays/events with my normal days.
  • snaps27
    Today was a weigh-in day for me and I am happy to say that last Wednesday was 169.3 and this week it's 169.5, so only .2 up which I can live with. Carbmonster...Amazing Results!
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    debbie389 wrote: »
    Well after a complete blowout over the weekend...
    Oh nice...a fellow sinner!
    ...I weighed myself and have managed to put 7lb on...
    I feel your pain...I peaked at about +13.
    ...and after just 1 fast I've lost 5 of the 7lb.
    I lost 7 on 1st fast day, still need to lose 6.
    ...I'm now hoping if I have an ok day today, and another fast tomorrow, I could stay the same, or even lose...
    I'm betting on you...isn't 5:2 amazing?
    I've been doing 5;2 for around 5 months and have so far lost 37lb.
    Great achievement!