Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W7D1 was done yesterday. 2.5 miles of running in 28 minutes (about 11 min/mile) :)
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @nutmegzz Let us know how you did, and welcome to the group. Feel free to add me.
  • carmenFL1560
    carmenFL1560 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to MFP and C25K program. I just finished W1D3 yesterday and feel like I should repeat at least one day from week 1. The last run I tried to be a little bit faster (due to the amount of weight I have to lose not an easy task :( ) and had a very hard time to finish. Despite all of this 'fast running' I only covered 1.73 miles including warm up and cooling down.
    I wonder what your experience is, especially those of you who are carrying way more weight than the majority here.
    Any advice is very appreciated.
    Thank you!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to MFP and C25K program. I just finished W1D3 yesterday and feel like I should repeat at least one day from week 1. The last run I tried to be a little bit faster (due to the amount of weight I have to lose not an easy task :( ) and had a very hard time to finish. Despite all of this 'fast running' I only covered 1.73 miles including warm up and cooling down.
    I wonder what your experience is, especially those of you who are carrying way more weight than the majority here.
    Thank you!

Don't try to go faster. You should be running at a conversational pace (you should be able to talk while you are running.) When you complete the program, you will be able to run for 30 minutes straight. You can work on speed and distance once you build your running base.

As the amount of time you are running increases, you might even have to slow down more.

Great job getting started and welcome to the group!
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I am just starting week two, and my week one distances were similar to uYours (1.72-1.77 miles) so you are not alone. :smile:
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I just started 5k to 10k today. I had to remember the slow down mantra. It jumped me up from 30 minutes of running with five blocks of 8 minutes running with a one minute rest between each block. I can definitely see how this is going to improve my 5k.

@snbouchard81, @carmenFL1560, @Nutmegzz Congrats on starting and great work. Don't worry about speed or anything else. Just make sure you get out and run it at a comfortable pace for you and the rest will take care of itself.

@Aine8046 Way to go! You're really closing in on being done.
  • TowsonChuck
    Options
    Thank you!

I am just starting week two, and my week one distances were similar to uYours (1.72-1.77 miles) so you are not alone. :smile:

As noted by a few. Distance does not matter so much at this point it's more about creating the stamina to handle the distance that you are running. Having said that... I get caught up in distance a lot as well. My week 1 distances were about 1.75-1.8 from start of warm up to end of cool down. So that is fairly normal.

Here is my Week 1 Day 1. Results.
    feb0ahoojuhs.png

Today I just finished Week 8 Day 2. (Zen Labs, I finish the whole program on Saturday!)

I ran for 28 minutes straight and covered 2.85 miles, with a 9:50/mile pace. Nothing amazing. But a VAST improvement. (This doesn't include the warm up/cool down)

So keep moving forward don't repeat unless it is needed do to missing a few days in a row.
  • carmenFL1560
    Options
    Thank you so much for the supporting comments. Today I repeated W1D1 and surprisingly went better. I do need to get fitted for running shoes though. I start to experience calf and shin pain.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first post on here and today I just completed week5 day3. All week I kept talking myself out of doing it because I didn't believe I could, but I did it. Now I can't wait to finish the program and run my first 5k in November!
  • TowsonChuck
    Options
    chesnity3 wrote: »
    Hi! This is my first post on here and today I just completed week5 day3. All week I kept talking myself out of doing it because I didn't believe I could, but I did it. Now I can't wait to finish the program and run my first 5k in November!

W5D3 was the biggest hurdle (mentally), and the biggest confidence booster for me! I've had tougher runs since, but that was the turning point.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options

W5D3 was the biggest hurdle (mentally), and the biggest confidence booster for me! I've had tougher runs since, but that was the turning point.

It was a big accomplishment for me! I pushed past my limit and now I feel like I can conquer the world! I've already started looking at the schedules for 10ks, half marathons and marathons. No more limits... I'm falling in love with running!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    W7D2 done -
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

A MFP friend who completed C25K before me told me W5D3 was the turning point, the "make it or break it" run. I was apprehensive about the run, but once I got into the groove, found my pace, the run was good. And there was no looking back. I'm on W7D2 and have a 5K on Saturday. I'm already looking forward to the 10K training.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    This thread is very motivational!
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    W8D2 Done! One more run left before graduation. We planned on being done today but its really been rainy lately, so we've had to "reschedule" the runs.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @carmenFL1560 getting fit for running shoes was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I never knew (because it never impacted me before) that I walk with my shin lined up on the inside of my ankle (I know there is a fancy word for it that my new best friend at the running store said--but it escapes me at the moment). I got shoes to help and my ankles have been far far less injury prone then they were when I played sports in middle school and high school. So much better! :smile:
  • carmenFL1560
    Options
    Yesterday I went across town and got fitted for running shoes. My dear MFP friends, what a difference!! When the consultant asked me to run for a little bit with the fitted shoes, I could not believe the difference! Since I had no idea what kind of shoes I needed, I would have never picked these by myself. Can't wait to use my new shoes on my next run tomorrow. @snbouchard81: you are so right! Because of my past ankle injuries they could see that my feet needed more support to prevent injuries. Thank you!
  • rollinat
    rollinat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Did week 5 day 3 today - the dreaded 20 minute run! I did it with a friend and we walked a little during the first 10 mins (very slightly uphill) but ran all the way back once we turned round, so that's still the most I've ever run in one go - so I call that a victory! I am incredibly slow -18+mins a mile - but I really don't care. I'm out there doing it and enjoying it, for the most part!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    jsandie76 wrote: »
    W8D2 Done! One more run left before graduation. We planned on being done today but its really been rainy lately, so we've had to "reschedule" the runs.
    that's awesome. Are you still doing the running clinic?

• upsaluki
    Options
    rollinat wrote: »
    Did week 5 day 3 today - the dreaded 20 minute run! I did it with a friend and we walked a little during the first 10 mins (very slightly uphill) but ran all the way back once we turned round, so that's still the most I've ever run in one go - so I call that a victory! I am incredibly slow -18+mins a mile - but I really don't care. I'm out there doing it and enjoying it, for the most part!
    Way to go. It's mostly downhill from there.