Recipe links

I just finished whole30, and my husband wants to go primal now to lose weight. I agreed to pack his lunches and prepare dinners. Looking for easy lunches and crock pot MEALs. I have tons of crock pot meat recipes on pinterest. But I am looking more for whole meals I can prepare on Sunday. Links are appreciated, and if you pin lots of recipes, a user name to follow would be great!

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Just start with paleOMG.com and go from there. Good luck!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    I use Pinterest a ton! pinterest.com/cindy3768
    You can also follow the major Paleo people on there, including PaleOMG.
  • ofstarsandsquid
    ofstarsandsquid Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2014
    You mention that you have a lot of pins for crockpot meats rather than recipes. What if you cook those crockpot meats and roast vegetables. He can put the two together for meals and then instead of one meal for 5 days he can take different combinations. I mention this because it's what I do for my lunches and dinners every single week. I know it's not exactly what you just asked for, but I just put this on another group post and thought I would put it here too. I do all my meat cooking and cook tons of veggies every single Sunday (like you mentioned) and then on my day off in the middle of the week (but could be done in just an hour any day of the week) I cook more veggies. Anyway, may not help, but figured I'd at least post it for ya!

"Between my job, the kids, going to school, and homeschooling I'm *worn out* most of the week and barely have time to breathe. On that note, it means that I have to do a lot of pre-cooking just as you are talking about. If I don't then I am put in a rough spot of wanting to grab convenience foods. Here is how the day typically goes, and maybe this will help you!
    - First, the night before a day off, I will throw a roast with some water and seasonings in the crock pot.
    - The next morning I put two chickens roasting in the oven.
    - The roast should be done soon, then I pull the meat (so that it's not just chunks) and fill a large glass container with a lid.
    - I put some of the juices from the roast in that container, the rest I leave in the crockpot. You can put all in the container or leave all in the crockpot -- whatever works best for you.
    - I get some fresh veggies chopped up and ready to cook for the week. I usually also pre-chop some onions and pre-grate some garlic at this time. I use a few tablespoons of each whenever I reheat my meat and veggies for dinner each week. I don't usually use them in my lunches, but I always heat up my dinners in my cast iron skillet with some grassfed butter, garlic, and onions :)
    - About this time the chickens are ready. One has the meat pulled from it and fills a large glass container with a lid.
    - The other chicken meat is pulled off and then frozen in individual serving sizes. These thaw out beautifully later on when I'm needing something quick.
    - I put the two carcasses in the crock pot with the roast juices (you can put in a large stock pot if your crock pot isn't large enough) along with water and some bits and pieces from the veggies earlier (ends of carrots, skins of garlic and onions, etc) and let that cook until the next morning. I'll save some of the stock this makes in the fridge to add to dishes during the week if I wish, the rest I freeze in mason jars to use when needed.
    - Now that the chickens are out of the oven (and I left it *on*), I throw all the chopped up veggies onto baking sheets. Toss with water fat I'm feeling at the time (usually grassfed butter) and roast them. If there are any I prefer steamed, I'll also steam those on the stove top at this time.
    - When all those are done I put them in serving sized containers (which for me are these large containers that hold 3 cups each) and stack everything up in the fridge.

Generally I will have enough meat for myself (lunches and dinners) for the entire week -- sometimes plus some, and then on my other day off I'll cook another run of veggies. This doesn't include breakfast because I make my breakfast every single morning before I go to the gym. I do usually make one special dinner once per week when my husband has off (because it's the only night we have together) and I cook that from scratch. If I have any meat left at the end of the week, I freeze it in portion sizes.

Every morning before work I grab one of the 3-cup containers and put a portion of meat in another container. Grab a few other things in case I get snack-y, and pack in a cooler to take to work. Snacks usually range from fat bombs (grassfed butter+raw honey+cacao powder) to a small piece of dark chocolate to olives."
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    starsandsquid that sounds amazing, do-able, and delicious. I love the idea of reheating meat in the skillet with pre-chopped garlic and onion. I hate the micro for most things and that makes it almost not like reheated meat. Thank you so much for sharing, I might have to do this one weekend and see how it turns out!!
  • ofstarsandsquid
    starsandsquid that sounds amazing, do-able, and delicious. I love the idea of reheating meat in the skillet with pre-chopped garlic and onion. I hate the micro for most things and that makes it almost not like reheated meat. Thank you so much for sharing, I might have to do this one weekend and see how it turns out!!

Thanks Quinn :). Sometimes I'll throw some of the broth in with the meat and toss my veggies in there too and make it more soup-like for a different kind of lunch.

• girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Starsandsquid that sounds awesome, and it does help. I was looking more for dinners, and for that I like variety, but we might do that for lunches. Thanks!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    ofstarsandsquid, what do you put in your beef stock? I have gotten the beef soup bones and was unimpressed with the flavor. DO I need more of them, or what? I have chicken stock mastered.
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Bone Broth:
    • 4 quarts water
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    • 2 large onions, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
    • 2 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
    • 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
    • 1 bunch fresh parsley
    • 2-3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
    • 2-4 lbs. meat or poultry bones
    Place all ingredients in a large slow cooker set on high. Bring to a boil, then reduce the setting to low for 12-24 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes! Strain the stock through a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter into a large bowl, and discard the waste.
  • ofstarsandsquid
    cindytw wrote: »
    ofstarsandsquid, what do you put in your beef stock? I have gotten the beef soup bones and was unimpressed with the flavor. DO I need more of them, or what? I have chicken stock mastered.

I don't do beef stock often, but moreso chicken stock. When I do chicken stock I use 1-2 chicken carcasses and the "throw aways" of any veggies I had used. Typically that is the skins and some bits of 3-4 heads of garlic, about three pounds of onions, the end of celery (not the leaves), some bits of mushrooms that were left in the fridge uncovered a little long, ends of carrots, greens on cauliflower, etc. I really think the onions and garlic are what put any stock I make over the top though :). Sometimes, since it's so cheap, I'll even throw in a whole raw head of garlic in there.

• ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Bone Broth:
    • 4 quarts water
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    • 2 large onions, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
    • 2 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
    • 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
    • 1 bunch fresh parsley
    • 2-3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
    • 2-4 lbs. meat or poultry bones
    Place all ingredients in a large slow cooker set on high. Bring to a boil, then reduce the setting to low for 12-24 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes! Strain the stock through a fine mesh strainer or coffee filter into a large bowl, and discard the waste.

Excellent! thanks for posting this... I've been meaning to make bone broth, hadn't remembered to check for a recipe and this one looks good.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    I belong to a MFP group for Paleo/Primal recipes... It's not very active but there's some recipes there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/17967-paleo-primal-recipes

Pinterest is the best source though!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    I'm on pinterest with the same name.
    I pin all kinds of stuff, since I make homemade bread for my hubs.

Oh and I really like this site too. Good stuff.
    http://www.health-bent.com/recipes-index