Body Fat Maintenance?

Options
BChanFit
BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
This group was recommended to me via this post on another discussion board. Looks like great support here!

I changed my calorie intake to maintenance about 4 months ago. In that time I've started weight lifting (3 months ago) and increased my cardio from what I was doing (1 month ago).

Good news: I'm maintaining my weight perfectly. Scale is always +/- half a pound. So that's good.
Bad news: Body fat % has also stayed the same for the past 4 months. Wouldn't the increase in exercise change that? I can't figure it out. Anyone else have experience with this? Any advice is appreciated. :)

130lb, 5'2", 28% bf
Currently eating about 1800 calories/day (129p/52f/213c)
Weight lifting/strength 5x per week (30 minutes each - see a trainer 1/week)
Working on building a running base to run a marathon this time next year: 15 miles last week, 18 miles this week, will then stay around 20 miles until May when I start actual marathon training.

Body fat issue just isn't adding up. :\

Replies

• junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't want to step on SS/Sara's toes, but a few things that would probably help them help you:

How are you measuring bodyfat %?

What does your strength training consist of? Are you following a program with progression built in - ie progressively heavier weights or increasing volume? If so, are you seeing results in terms of increased strength?

Recomping at maintenance intake is a very slow process, especially for a female because of lower testosterone etc; it might be that there is some recompositioning happening but within the margin of error of your body fat assessment method. Another possibility might be that the strength program you're following isn't pushing you enough to force your body to adapt. Doesn't sound like you're doing "too much" cardio but just so you're aware, extended periods of moderate to high intensity aerobic exericise can work against building muscle.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer so not working on any specific "program" but I have been using increasingly heavier weights. We do some lighter weights/more reps mixed with heavy lifting where I can only do about 5. I don't mind slow, I can be patient but 0 change in 4 months just seems a bit odd. We do the body fat % with the thing you hold out in front of you. Once a month, same time every month. I have heard that these can be inaccurate but I'm not necessarily bothered by the actual number as I am that the number hasn't changed... at all. If it were wrong but decreasing to a lower wrong number I would actually be okay with that. :) Thanks for the help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Some BIA scales/handhelds are better consistency but worse accuracy, some better accuracy but worse consistency.

So while you could be only 10% accurate, it would be consistent and show progress up or down.
    Others could be 5% accurate, but bounce all over that 5% range, so you could see no changes for a long time but in reality there is.

Consumer Reports did some testing on them several years ago and discovered that.

Then again, using it immediately again and getting different results points out which one you got too.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    How old are you??
    It does matter, but sounds like you have maintained
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response. Those devices can be very inaccurate. Have you taken measurements? How do you clothes feel on you? Are they the same or looser (or some areas looser)?
  • BChanFit
    Options
    I'm 31. Have gone down about 2 sizes over the Summer and measurements have been going down. I just feel like I'm trying so hard to eat well and be fit. Not sure why it won't just show a decrease and it's kinda bumming me out.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Kindeo wrote: »
    I'm 31. Have gone down about 2 sizes over the Summer and measurements have been going down. I just feel like I'm trying so hard to eat well and be fit. Not sure why it won't just show a decrease and it's kinda bumming me out.

You've lost two sizes (and measurements overall) but kept the same weight? This is a clear indication of body fat loss (recomp as it's commonly called). It's just your measurement method that is lacking. BIA is notoriously hilarious for its inaccuracy. You are doing just fine.

If you want a real bf% measurement, choose something with a higher degree of accuracy (DEXA or water immersion or something like that).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Kindeo wrote: »

You've lost two sizes (and measurements overall) but kept the same weight? This is a clear indication of body fat loss (recomp as it's commonly called). It's just your measurement method that is lacking. BIA is notoriously hilarious for its inaccuracy. You are doing just fine.

If you want a real bf% measurement, choose something with a higher degree of accuracy (DEXA or water immersion or something like that).

Agreed.

Measuring can be a bit misleading. The tape is often at differing levels of tightness and/or at different spots and also body fat can be lost in areas other than where you are measuring. Losing 2 dress sizes is huge. If you are staying the same weight it is very very likely your body fat is going down.

Did you take before pics? Have you compared to now?
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Yes I have some before and afters and am happy to see progress there. Just tired of seeing my trainer frown every time we do the darn hand held thing. :) I maybe just need to ignore it as best I can.