Help! Too much protein!

Options
According to the Keto-Calculator, I should be eating around 25g carbs, 100g protein, and 180g fat per day. However, I am finding it very, very difficult to limit my consumption of these protein whilst taking in sufficient fat.

For example, cheese, eggs or meat are probably the first places I'd turn in search of fat content, but they add a lot of extra protein too.

I've been at this for two and a half weeks now without going into ketosis (I've none of the physical markers and have been checking with ketostix) and I fear the extra protein might be the reason why. Please help!

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    The key for me was to discover things you might eat while doing a fat or egg fast. Cook with oil, add heavy cream and/or butter to things that helps balance out your proteins.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, full fat mayo, butter, full fat sour cream, full fat cream cheese, full fat ranch dressing, heavy cream, coconut oil, nut butters, etc. Add them to everything.
  • ScottLynn98
    ScottLynn98 Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you like bulletproof coffee you can get a lot of fat with that! I use 2 tbsp of MCT oil and 2 tbsp of butter per 12 oz cup and pour it all in the blender a few seconds and that gets me about 50g of fat. It's tasty, too! ...and 0g of protein.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    A good article here:
    carbsmart.com/10-healthy-high-fat-foods-perfect-for-nutritional-ketosis.html

I think my favorite part is when he talks about using 70% ground beef, then cooking it in butter, and adding cheese and sour cream. :p

The Fat Fast Cookbook by Dana Carpender has a lot of very good recipes. I've never done the Fat Fast, but I've probably made half dozen of these (Boursin stuffed mushrooms; mini pumpkin cheesecakes, ham and cheese egg cups, just to name a few).

Bulletproof coffee is fantastic (+95% fat). There's also a coconut custard recipe that I posted a while back that's between 85%-90% fat. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/998710/spectacular-keto-coconut-custard
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have just sent you a request, started 10 days ago with the same issue. My partner started with me just as support....he is now totally hooked. Can you believe I even tried to sabotage his success by tempting him with the promise of making his favourite pasta dish ! He has all the markers...Keto breath, leg cramps and even without any test strips, we know as his trousers have become baggy in a week!

We are doing exactly the same thing, I mean I make our meals and prepare his lunch box for work. Only obvious difference is that I am logging and aiming for a slight deficit and of course being a female. I initially lost in the first 5-6 days as I was peeing like crazy but then everything just seemed to stop or slow down.

This week brings a new opportunity for me to shake things up a bit and play with my macros, meal choices and maybe even work out intensities. I also work abroad 2 weeks per month so keeping busy will perhaps get those scales shifting.

Moral of the story here is that we are all different but as long as we don't cheat (most of the time ) ...... we will all get there :)

Keep going, lots of great tips and suggestions from a very supportive bunch.
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What are you protein sources besides eggs and cheese ? Try to use the cheaper fattier cuts of meat. I'm glad someone mentioned 73% ground beef, that's what I use, 80% is good too. Chicken thighs are much more keto friendly than breasts, cheaper too, also chicken wings are a good option(I fry mine in bacon fat. Both of them skin on for the fat content. Pork is generally a lean animal, but fattier cuts can be had, pork butt for example(I confit mine in bacon fat-see a theme here?-for 24 hours in the slow cooker after salting it in the fridge for 12-24 hours.) There's always bacon and sausage, salame, avocado has gobs of fat and fiber. Also adding coconut oil or butter as you cook things will up your fat content. I conversely have a hard time meeting my protein goal and need to finagle my daily menu to fit it perfectly, it's a bit more work, but it pays off.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    I'll be the third one chiming in on the bullet except I used black tea today, since I'm out of coffee, and it was even better! 1 TBL of half/half, 1TBL of coconut oil, 1 TBL of unsalted butter, and a smigen of agave syrup (optional).

I'm also experimenting with flaxseed oil for teh Omega 3 and mantaining a 1:1 ratio of 3 and 6 omegas. Then there's my almond oil stash and chili infused olive oil for cooking. My spice cabinet is my Fat cabinet.

It's all in the oils hon.
  • AnachronisticAutistic
    Options
    Thank you all so much! This has been really helpful. I managed to lower my protein and up my fat intake yesterday, and I am now finally in ketosis! *Celebrates.*
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    According to the keto calculators, I should be only eating about 52 grams of protein a day. Without carbs that doesn't leave a heck of a lot of food. I've been trying to keep around 70-80 grams and have been eating low card for what seems like forever, but I don't think I've ever been truly in ketosis. My diary is open. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.
  • JerryHowell88
    Options
    Like what others have stated, just add oils and full fat dairy to your cooking and veggies.
    BTW, I have been following a keto diet and have never had a pee strip say I was in keto. It took two weeks and then I noticed I was having baggier clothes. I am at 200gr of fat, 150gr of protein, and 25gr carbs. I don't have a meal that doesn't have a veggie with 2Tbsp of butter on it!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    According to the keto calculators, I should be only eating about 52 grams of protein a day. Without carbs that doesn't leave a heck of a lot of food. I've been trying to keep around 70-80 grams and have been eating low card for what seems like forever, but I don't think I've ever been truly in ketosis. My diary is open. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Do you mind sharing your input/output for the keto calc?

Why do you think you've never been in ketosis? I looked through your diary for the last 7-10 days and you had one day where you were around 35-40g net carbs, but all the other days 30g or less and most days 20g or less, it you've been consistently eating like that I would expect that you have been! I don't know for sure but I don't think the difference between 50g protein and 80 is going to make or break keto either. Nothing wrong with trying a change if you aren't quite satisfied as long as the change seems reasonable (50g seems quite low but you may be the right combination of small + inactive to justify it). But if you hadn't asked for thoughts I would have looked at your diary and said "yeah looks good!"
  • ChoiceNotChance
    Options
    I've never had any of the "signs" nor have I had a positive urine or blood test. I'm certainly not burning fat. I feel good, though. Have lots of energy. I'm 5'1", 135#. I'll admit to the occasional indulgence, but the vast majority of the time, my macros are pretty good.
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in the beginning - and the solution was salads. The right salad dressing is very high in fat, with not much else. Just avoid the ones with sugar - fruit flavored ones, balsamic vinaigrette, ect.

Dark greens are almost all fiber - also they give you the nutrients you need to keep your body/gut happy.

Salad with: Mescalin (dark young leafy greens), avocado, soft goat cheese (even higher in fat than cheddar) and then creamy caesar, ranch/blue cheese or oil and vinegar dressing. I usually top it with 3/4 slices of bacon, but that is me.

There are some carbs, but most are negligible once you factor in the fiber. It is a great, filling fat bomb when done correctly.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i also have the same problem too much protein from cheese, eggs and chicken...can someone share like a days meal plan please
  • ChoiceNotChance
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to take a look.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    i also have the same problem too much protein from cheese, eggs and chicken...can someone share like a days meal plan please

Something you should try is adding fats to when you cook those items.

For example, when cooking your eggs, add cream and/butter while you cook them.

If you eat chicken, again the key (for me at least) is to cook it in oil. You can dip it in full fat dressing. For a side you could do mashed cauliflower with cream cheese and sour cream.

For breakfast, some days I do just coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil and heavy cream if I have it on hand (several people add butter for "bullet proof coffee" but I don't like the butter added). If I have time I do scrambled eggs, and then add the butter and sourcream/heavy cream/cream cheese...whatever you have on hand. You can also add spinach, some onions, broccoli, peppers...whatever veggies you have on hand you can add a small amount of them to your eggs.

Lunch - varies. If I bring lunch its leftovers. If I go out I get a salad with full fat dressing (no croutons, I don't eat the tomatoes) and if I VERY hungry I might get a cheeseburger with no bun along with it. Traditional wings with buffalo sauce (NOT bbq or anything sweet) is a treat for me. If you have a place like Chipotle, Moe's, etc...you can get a bowl with basically meat, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream and then some type of hot sauce.

Dinner - Can be similar to Lunch. I have a family so I really try to not to make 2 meals. If I make a roast, I watch the carbs in the seasonings/sauces. I'll have a side salad or veggies with cheese and then for them might have potatoes or something. Really what I do is cook the meat, put a portion aside for myself and then continue with whatever I was making, depending on what sauces and seasonings are being added.