kinesio tape; does it really work?

Options
Kinesio tape, KT, or Rocktape are being used by athletes everywhere and yet it seems that research doesn't support it. I have talked to a variety of athletes and coaches that are believers in this. How can it be that studies don't offer any clear evidence and yet every athlete, that I have spoken to, swears by it. It is everywhere. This has to be more than a superstitious fad right???

Replies

• kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I tried it on my foot for PF and it did absolutely nothing for me. I think my mom used it when she had knee surgery and she said it helped a lot. Who knows....
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have my kneecap taped right now. I have a subluxating patella, and it's been giving me fits here lately. I wouldn't say that the tape is fixing anything, but it's helping to support it, keep it in the right place, and as a result I've been experiencing less pain. I can definitely tell that my kneecap doesn't move around as much when I walk when it's taped vs. without it.

ETA: I do think it depends on what you're using is for. When I was in PT after knee surgery, they taped my quad with the theory that the tape would trigger those muscles to fire and it would get stronger. I think that was bullcrockery. But for stability issues, I think it helps.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    Options
    I am using the tape for a mild hamstring strain. I think the stabilization may help.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It did nothing for me (other than separate me from some $).

There are those who totally swear by it.

You can always give it a try.
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I bought pink KT and I now we use it to decorate my kids for school for breast cancer day. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out. I haven't read anything conclusive that supports its use but there are members of my triathlon club that swear by it.....placebo effect?
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I know people who love it and people who think it is worthless. One thing most everybody agrees on though is IF it is to have any benefit it needs to be applied by somebody who knows what s/he is doing
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes seriously! (Trust me, I'm a lawyer!):glasses:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have used it for support. It never fixed anything but allowed me to continue training when I had an issue without making things worse or feeling they were getting worse. I was wearing it 24x7 when I had PF and it wasn't until I stopped taping and taking advils and let it completely flare up and subside that I was fine again.