First post and my surgery date is Monday

Options
Hello Group,

I am anxious! I've been going through this process for over a year. I was told in the beginning and just a month ago, that i may not be approved by my insurance. Since I have a BMI of 37.5 with "minor comorbidities" such as severe arthritis, sleep apnea and gallstones, it wouldn't be enough to sway Aetna to approve it, my surgeon stated.

I totally accepted that and kept plugging along. It really hasn't sunk in yet, but I do have a surgery date and will start my liquid cleanse this weekend. I lost and kept off 23 pounds since I started this process, but due to two torn meniscus and the arthritis, i'm not very mobile at all. I'm down right sedentary, which in itself makes me cra-cray!

I am 56 years old, 218 lbs now and not tall enough for my weight.

My Orthopedist suggested I look into this, since for every one pound you lose, you remove 4 lbs of pressure off your knees. If I can lose 50lbs in a year, I could get 200lbs of pressure off my knees and be more mobile, until I get knee replacements.

I'm looking for support and hoping to gain insight when I return home Tues, Post Op.

Thanks so much for being here,
Vanessa

Replies

• bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All the best Vanessa for your Op on Monday.

I'm new to this, but have been to a seminar and have my first appt next Wed. So hoping that the booking for the Op won't be too far down the track.

Cheers Chris
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your surgery date and good luck! Keep us posted. I am 5 weeks out --- sleeved on 9/18/14.
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've heard Aetna can be a bear to work with. Have you gotten an approval letter yet? My surgery date is also Monday. I'll be praying for you.
  • ridemorewaves
    ridemorewaves Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you Chris! I actually started my process last November. There's a lot to the process I went through, 2 ea orientation sessions, Support group meetings, 6 ea nutrition sessions, sleep study, psch eval and two sessions with the Surgeon. All the while you're working on reducing your weight, if requested. My surgeon didn't expect me to lose weight, but my arthritis is pretty severe and walking is very painful. I suffered a double tear to my left knee in February and struggle with my recovery. Continuing to lose weight is truly necessary for my ability to become mobile again.

I'm hoping your process is quick but as thorough as mine. I've learned so much about this life changing tool and how I can use it properly. I wish the best for you in your journey, Chris!

Vanessa
    bonzaburns wrote: »
    All the best Vanessa for your Op on Monday.

I'm new to this, but have been to a seminar and have my first appt next Wed. So hoping that the booking for the Op won't be too far down the track.

Cheers Chris

• ridemorewaves
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and yes I will be posting. I'm interested in your story, Ms Covington....will have to check it out! :smile:
    Congrats on your surgery date and good luck! Keep us posted. I am 5 weeks out --- sleeved on 9/18/14.

• ridemorewaves
    Options
    Thanks for the prayers, I'll be thinking of you too, Glyn! Yes I received approval and after such a long process, after the approval it seemed to all come together so quickly. I think because I was told to expect Aetna to turn me down, I just had no expectation. Now, it's real!

I am happy that I'm on my journey. I'm tired of fighting my weight for the past three decades...having this tool in my toolbelt makes me feel empowered. I wish I had the ability to do it the "natural way" but I'm in so much pain. I don't want to destroy my intestines any more with all of the NSAIDs I've been on for years. Sigh
    glyndalin wrote: »
    I've heard Aetna can be a bear to work with. Have you gotten an approval letter yet? My surgery date is also Monday. I'll be praying for you.