New to the group! And not entirely sure what I'm doing!

Options
2»

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    sistersoe wrote: »
    I'm excited for all of you. It is the greatest having support from MFP friends and knowing you are not out there alone. I have made friends here that crack me up reading their messages. Take that big deep breath and float away to your happy place...woo sahh B)
    Youre so funny! Thanks for the great msgs...:smiley:

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    sistersoe wrote: »
    I'm excited for all of you. It is the greatest having support from MFP friends and knowing you are not out there alone. I have made friends here that crack me up reading their messages. Take that big deep breath and float away to your happy place...woo sahh B)
    Lisa Lisa and the Culture Jam B) !!

• bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Okay all! I'm not scheduled for surgery yet, but have been to a seminar and booked for my first appt next week. I was hoping to get fast tracked, but they won't do that. You have to go thru the process, which I can understand. But I am *kitten* scared of it all. Not the surgery (well maybe that too...lol) but the lifestyle change. Having said that, if I don't do something, I won't have a life. I'll be 6ft under!

I am 100% convinced this is the way to go for me, but like I said I'm scared. Probably scared of failing. I need this "tool" to help me be a better person, because I haven't managed much so far. Lost 22kgs in 2010, but put it all back on 18 mths later. I don't want to keep doing this.

My family and hubby are behind me, so that is a great start. Hope to tell you soon, that I have a date booked for surgery.

Cheers Chris

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Chris,

Personally, I am glad that your program doesn't have a fast track. My experience was that the pre-surgery time is the time to work out your food issues (as much as possible), learn and ingrain healthy eating and food choice habits and behaviors and find an exercise routine that is sustainable. The surgery will not help you be a better person, that needs to come from inside. And you can do it!

My advice is to hit the pre-surgery program hard! Use MFP to log and hold yourself accountable to a calorie deficit, good food and hydration choices and a post-surgery balance of protein versus other stuff. Also, find an exercise program that you can continue for life. The benefits of pre-surgery weight loss and an increased level of physical fitness cannot (in my opinion) be understated.

Having the pre-surgery program laid out before me in my orientation meeting was a life-changing moment. It all clicked and I was ready for the changes I made over the six months I had prior to surgery. I hope and trust that it can be that way for you as well.

Good Luck!

Rob

63741332.png
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris, I'm Kelly and I too am scared of not being able to change my bad habits. Like you, I have lost and gained probably hundreds of pounds throughout my adult life. So though I pray that having this tool to help with my hunger as I attempt again to get healthier, I do find myself wondering if I can do my part.

And thanks Rob, I think you are absolutely right. I am trying to get myself in control of my food now, trying to make habits of what my post surgery life will be and just joined a gym, so I can get my exercise on!
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have to say that this journey is 100% mental. The surgery is just a tool, I know we all get sick of hearing that but it is true. Every pound lost is because of what you did or didn't put into your body. I had 41 years of bad eating habits and those don't change over night and it isn't easy. You have to decide that you can't do certain things anymore...food goes from enjoyment to a burden for us. I still indulge with certain things, but in TINY amounts instead and the way I look at food is this: I need this to fuel my body, I have to eat things that give me the biggest benefit, lots of protein, fruits, veggies. I stay away from things with added or high sugar content. When I am hungry I know that my body has used what I have given it and I didn't give it too much. I am thankful for my sleeve and the success I have had, I am 9 months post op and have lost over 86 pounds. I am almost to goal and plan on reaching it by my one year mark in January.
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Rob & Kelly
    I have three appts to go before I even get my op date. Can't even get into the Dr until mid Jan. Oh well, like you said Rob, I have that time to get on track. Xmas period is a hard time at the best of times, but since Summer is so Bl&$dy hot here I should do well in dropping a few kilos before hand...lol.
    Cheers Chris