ideas?

Options
My husband and I are just starting Paleo. He is in construction and doesn't prefer salads, so I am trying to find good foods to take with him to work! Thanks so much!

Replies

• lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of eating leftovers for lunch. Todays dinner is tomorrow's lunch. I just make sure to cook a little extra so there will be leftovers. After you determine if he will eat leftovers the next question is hot or cold. Since he works in construction he likely won't have a fridge or microwave on hand. I would invest in a good thermos set so he could keep hot foods hot until lunchtime.
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hate salads. I'm teaching myself to eat meat salads - where the star of the show is the cold shredded/sliced up meat leftovers, the rest of the bowl is various chopped up veg, and there might be a few lettuce leaves stuck in so I can call it "salad."
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Salads are nice and putting protein and fat on them is of course just fine. But don't think that cooked veggies don't have value because many vegetables are actually better when cooked. Just don't cook them to death. Also, as time goes on tastes will change and he might find himself enjoying vegetables more. I do think it is important to consume leafy greens on a regular basis so experimentation with different recipes might help. Has he tried kale chips? I can't buy kale locally but it is something I order in special occasionally because my child LOVES kale chips (olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper is our choice of seasoning).
  • stayfocusedAMANDA
    stayfocusedAMANDA Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas! We are very anxious to get started! We have already cut out some carbs now to the processed goods, dairy and grains! We are going to be strict for at least 30 days until our systems are "clean" and then maybe add in the occasional dairy or potatoes! Has anyone tried creepes for a sandwhich?
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Their are LOTS of different types of salads. Maybe try spinach, cabbage, or kale instead of the boring iceberg or romaine. And adding fruit and sweeter veggies like tomatoes and carrots can sometimes be a "gateway" salad (I used to hate salad too!). And trying out different dressing and keeping it varied.

But besides salad, maybe cooked veggies with some meat and making it hot instead could work. Chicken stir-fry is my go-to leftover lunch for the next day.
  • sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Meat/veg/sauce roll-ups are probably better if you're going to be strict. Save the sandwich substitutes for when you are not being so strict. Personally, I find it difficult to go from eating a "real" sandwich to eating a "fake" sandwich. You know it's not the same! But a month after not having any sandwich, real or fake, the paleo sub tastes really good!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love to saute vegetables... and fill up the container with a bit of that plus something meat. Today's lunch was chopped up turnip, carrot, and Shirataki 'cake' - cooked in butter until nice and carmelized. On top, I put a third of a cup of pomegranate seeds and 2 Italian sausages (already sliced to bite portions). The mix between the buttery flavors, the saltiness of the meat, and the sweet of the seeds just made it blend together really well.

I'm getting more and more used to bringing my tupperware lunch, and repacking the container to bring home to repeat.

I work in an office environment where there's a cafeteria - but usually the only offerings are two soup choices, sandwiches, or salad bar - - and I'm not a huge fan of salad. (first 2 weeks of the 30 day cleanse was salad after salad - and it gets old fast.)

Tonight, I'm sauteeing Japanese Eggplant, onion and baby portabella. I'll sprinkle some parmesian cheese - and have that as a side to a 3 oz grass-fed sirloin. :)

YUM, and more yum. So many veggies and flavors. Every meal is exciting.