Feeling "full" signals before actually too full --- any hints or help??

Options
klcovington
klcovington Posts: 381 Member
What tips do you have for feeling "full" before actually being too full. I chew my foods 20-30 times like they say...until applesauce consistency. I try to eat slow. But sometimes, I don't feel "full" until all of a sudden --- when it is almost too late before I feel sick. The amount of food I can eat before I feel full can vary as well. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• cheri50252
    Options
    This sudden fullness hits me quite often also. One time I can eat something and be fine, another when I eat the same thing I will be full sooner, and I feel sick on the lower amount. I guess it's all a learning process.
  • klcovington
    Options
    Thanks! What type of diet are you on now? I am only on liquids and very limited soft foods. It makes me really nervous about moving to the next phase but at the same time, I am getting sick of the "same old - same old". You can only live on tuna and eggs so long!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I find that I get a feeling like when my last bite is almost getting stuck about 1 seconds after I swallow it. I made the mistake of burping and thinking things were OK a couple of times. The bite that felt bad would go in and I would feel OK, but the next bite would sit in the bad feeling spot for 30 minutes or so of real discomfort.

I am on gentle 'eat anything'. My surgeon said to stay with soft foods, but start introducing new real foods to see how I tolerate it. so far, so good, the only thing that came back up was two bites of salmon which came after the 'signal bite'. They were the last two bites of the piece of fish and I went back to old habits of finishing my portion. Hopefully I have learned a new habit of 'stop after the signal bite' no matter how good the food is! I also need to remember to take more than 10-15 seconds between bites so that I can feel the signal and stop before it is too late.

Pay close attention to your body and you will soon figure out your signal.

Rob

63741332.png
  • klcovington
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    I find that I get a feeling like when my last bite is almost getting stuck about 1 seconds after I swallow it. I made the mistake of burping and thinking things were OK a couple of times. The bite that felt bad would go in and I would feel OK, but the next bite would sit in the bad feeling spot for 30 minutes or so of real discomfort.

I am on gentle 'eat anything'. My surgeon said to stay with soft foods, but start introducing new real foods to see how I tolerate it. so far, so good, the only thing that came back up was two bites of salmon which came after the 'signal bite'. They were the last two bites of the piece of fish and I went back to old habits of finishing my portion. Hopefully I have learned a new habit of 'stop after the signal bite' no matter how good the food is! I also need to remember to take more than 10-15 seconds between bites so that I can feel the signal and stop before it is too late.

Pay close attention to your body and you will soon figure out your signal.

Rob

63741332.png

Thanks, Rob! Makes sense. I have to learn to listen and stop --- it is easy to think I need to finish.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Im finding my "signal" to be out of whack or something...lol!
    It doesn't hit me till like that last bite gets caught somewhere in my throat and then its an unbearable feeling of pain in my abdomen for like 30 minutes...Im guess till it works itself through. :cold_sweat:
  • klcovington
    Options
    Is anyone finding that they can eat too much of some things? For instance, I was eating crackers the other day and found that I could eat two servings (10 crackers) and was not even feeling "full"?! It makes me realize that the sleeve is a tool and I will still have to be mindful of how and what I eat. I will still feel hungry. I will still have cravings.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Things like crackers are "slider" foods because they DON'T fill you up. They just "slide" right though. I fully admit that I eat slider foods sometimes (there are a lot of things that fall into this category and generally those things are not the best choices, but I try to avoid or limit them as much as I can for this very reason. Before I know it I'll have eaten way more calories than I should have.

As far as getting full signals...why not just stop then? I guess I'm not totally sure what those signals are for you, but I usually try to stop when I get mine. I'd rather not actually feel FULL. I'm not sure how far out you are, but if you are fairly fresh out that feeling of being full gets more intense after the first month or two. For me, the nerves healed and I could really feel that I was full and it wasn't comfortable. It sucks, and still does over a year out.

It's pretty unpleasant. It took getting used to for me, too, like most of us. At this point I just know when to stop eating or regret it.

Oh, if you are pretty early out (6 months or less) I'd avoid crackers if I were you. I didn't really eat them until about 6 months out because focusing on protein is super important and even now I limit stuff like that to an occasional thing. Plus, protein keeps one feeling full longer, which is a good thing! :smiley: Good luck!!
  • klcovington
    Options
    Thanks! That makes sense. I am going to work on getting in all my needed protein and liquids and put away those "slider" foods like crackers. I still sometimes don't feel "full" until all of a sudden without much warning but I think I need to take more time in between bites.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yep, stay away from sliders like crackers. I try not to rely on physical "full" signals. They just don't work like they did before. I measure out an amount of food I know I can eat without getting overfull and never eat more than that. While I am eating, I stop periodically to assess whether I am still hungry or if I am satisfied (different than a physical full feeling). If I am satisfied with what I have eaten, I stop my meal and either put the rest away for leftovers or just throw it out.
  • klcovington
    Options
    SibylDiane wrote: »
    Yep, stay away from sliders like crackers. I try not to rely on physical "full" signals. They just don't work like they did before. I measure out an amount of food I know I can eat without getting overfull and never eat more than that. While I am eating, I stop periodically to assess whether I am still hungry or if I am satisfied (different than a physical full feeling). If I am satisfied with what I have eaten, I stop my meal and either put the rest away for leftovers or just throw it out.

Thanks! I am getting out the food scale and measuring cups and spoons tonight. I am going to try that because I do think that I sometimes push myself a little, thinking "I can't already be full!" or "Maybe just one more bite."
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My full cue is feeling like I need to burp. I stop eating at this point no matter how much I've consumed or how much is left on the plate. If I don't, anything after that, even if I do burp, will come back up. Most people's full cue is that I need to burp feeling. But there are others. I have a sleeved friend who gets the hiccups, that's her full cue.

Crackers and most carbs almost liquify when we chew them, that's why they don't give us the full feeling like protein does. Crackers and the like I literally count. If 6 crackers is the portion, I count out 6 and put the box away. Since they don't give a full cue, I will way overeat on those things if I don't count them and eat out of the box.

As time goes on, you will find you can eat more than you could in the beginning. Maintaining portion control is really important to being successful, so plan on weighing and measuring maybe forever. I still can't eyeball a 4 ounce portion of meat, so other than in a restaraunt, I weigh it out and I'm 3 years out from surgery.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I battle that problem by putting the food down! I tend to eat half of my mini-serving, then stop for 5-10 minutes. If I want what's left, I reheat and enjoy, but most of the time, I'm done. I never mastered the eating slowly thing, but this works for me.
  • suzannemichelle614
    suzannemichelle614 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The hiccups are so random...sometimes hours after eating. I get the feeling of needing to burp right at that last bite and that's when my spoon must be put down. A couple of times I pushed it past that point.........why? Because of old habits! The food tasted too good to stop but believe me the pain as I describe "the feeling of diarrhea cramps from my new tiny stomach" are so unbearable that I have learned to STOP. I also try to measure everything on my scale, tsp, tbs or pinch.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The past couple of weeks I've had three instances where I missed the full signal and went directly to the flushed, green, queasies. In each instance, I was not being mindful of how I felt as I ate, was enjoying food that I should not have been eating (pub grub) but really wanted to eat, and may have had a small sip of liquid inside the no-liquid window. It was absolutely my fault, and had I been mindful, made a better food choice, and minded the no-liquid rule, I guarantee that I would not have had a problem.

So, I'm not sure what you were up to when you encountered the queasies, but I would examine your eating habits and see if some prohibited behavior is leading you there.

Best!!
    Kate