Fell off the Paleo Wagon

Options
It started last weekend...with a bowl of cereal :'(
But I have not given up. I will start at the beginning and move forward. I must say - although the processed foods I ate tasted good, I could immediately tell a difference in the way I felt. I was sick to my stomach & irritable. So why did I stay on this destructive path for a week? Who knows...I can't dwell on it I have to move forward.

Replies

• sarabeth624
    sarabeth624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Cereal. It tastes so bland and yet causes me to fall off, too. Cake? No problem saying no thanks. Cookies? Nope. Cereal? I can't have it in the house. So weird. It must be a comfort food thing that reminds us of childhood.

But now that you have reminded yourself why you shouldn't eat those bits of air and sticks you can jump back on the horse. Every day is a new day. You can do this!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    totally understand about cereal. glorious sugary goodness with milk... Cereal was the hardest thing for me to pack up to give away to my neighbors. I could easily give away the cans of beans, the boxes of pasta and oatmeal; but it took several weeks into my whole 30 to accept that I'd ahve to give up the cereal too. And, I had a lot of boxes of cereal on the top of my fridge... 2 weeks ago, I gave away 4 boxes of different flavored chereos. this past weekend, I gave away 4 more boxes - the extra sugary captain crunch, frosted flakes, and others... I still have 2 more boxes on top of my fridge (one has peanutbutter flavoring to it, and cornpops) ... I know that I'll give those away too... I know there's no reason to keep them. It's time to say goodbye.
    -
    - I need those spaces for my growing collection of grainless flours for baking... almond meal, tapioca, coconut, and I could easily have shelf up there for all the baking supplies for my experiments with grainfree cakes.
    -
    - I never liked baking before, but I'm really enjoying to create or follow recipes so that I too can have the occasional piece of guilt-free cake.
    -
    I had several candy bars this weekend, and my nose doesn't want to stop running today. - Is it a cold? is it an allergy? I don't feel sick - but my darn nose is bothering me. what would be the expected reaction to babe-ruths and butterfingers? could I be allergic? I'm actually hoping I am - because it would be a perfect excuse to gain willpower and never touch Halloween candy again.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Good for you Rosey giving away those packets of cereal. (They really should have gone in the bin but I would not be able to waste food like that, food was precious growing up.)

Just giving up those sugar filled items is going to make a huge difference in your health. xx
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have not logged for the past four or more days but my problem is alcohol (beer) apparently and now there's so much candy in the house. My daughter is visiting from England this Christmas and I really wanted to be thin and just healthy so she doesn't worry about me and now I'm feeling like a bloated blob. Paleo eating changed my life but then life interfered. I'm hoping to get out of this funk by Friday.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have not logged for the past four or more days but my problem is alcohol (beer) apparently and now there's so much candy in the house. My daughter is visiting from England this Christmas and I really wanted to be thin and just healthy so she doesn't worry about me and now I'm feeling like a bloated blob. Paleo eating changed my life but then life interfered. I'm hoping to get out of this funk by Friday.

There's so much that makes me sad about how you talked about yourself. I understand; I used to do that too but I have since discovered that negative self talk does NOT motivate me to do better or stay on track, it keeps me feeling down and justifies an "I blew so I might as well keep eating junk" attitude. :(

When you empower yourself you will just shrug off the little hiccups and keep going and improving.

@Rosey. Good for you to get that stuff out but depending on where you are on your health journey I urge caution with Paleo substitutes. Nuts are similar to grains when it comes to anti-nutrients and Paleo treats can be just as detrimental for people who still have metabolic orders to resolve.

• katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    @ Akim, I wonder how you turned your life around as you are really an inspiration to me. It's almost like people started saying how great I was looking and I self-imploded? I am mad at myself for drinking and letting it throw my eating plan off, one bottle of wine equaled 600 calories and a ton of headaches, guess I have a hard time saying a bit will do. It made me sick though and ten tortillas later my gut is messed up again. How do you and others stay true to paleo? I even let my fresh vegetables go to waste while I drank wine instead. I'm so mad at me and there's a shi=ton of junk food in the house since our halloween party. I don't have the money to throw out food, I just wasted a weeks worth of food on junk. Sorry, I'm just not doing well. Sorry.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hang in there honey, keep posting but next time you do try doing what Akim says and STOP the negative talk. One thing I know is that your daughter loves you or she wouldn't be worried about you, so I know you are a good person. Forgive yourself and love yourself and start today!! Baby steps, one at a time. Water is cheap, start with that. Say before I have a drink, I must have a water first. Be kind to yourself, you can do this.