tracking distance.

Options
I have the mapmyrun app and thats what I was using to track miles before c25k. But my Phone is cranky when I try and run two apps at once. How do you all track your distance??

Are your phones just cooler than mine? Lol.

Replies

• Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use RunDouble. It has two settings. You can do timed intervals or distance intervals. Since my goal is to actually make it up to running 5k, no matter how slow, I use the distance. The first two weeks are free (and timed intervals no matter which program you're going to do) but after that it's like $1.59. If you register on their website you can go in and look at your times and see how you've improved from one day to the next.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I used a C25K podcast rather than an app
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was using a combination of map my ride and run double while also playing music on my phone. My dad gave me his Garmin forerunner 305 so now I'm cutting out the map my ride, and just uploading the gps file to strava. All the technology is great, but I sometimes wonder if it's worth it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I use RunDouble for the run/ walk cues. It also gives total distance, even if you use the timed version.

I also use a different app for music and use Strava (because a bunch of my friends us it too!)
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use a one of the fancy smart watches (Samsung gear 2 neo)

You need to have a Samsung smart phone to use it though. I use it mainly to track my heart rate and distance, with MapMyFitness running on my phone too, since that will track the gps.

I am going to give the Endomondo app on it a go tonight, it will eliminate the need for the app on the watch, and running mapmyfitness on the phone. Since Endomondo will record both heart rate, and gps distance. I'll report on how that goes, but after messing around with the app it looks pretty nice.

And I agree with @Upsaluki ... I am a big tech geek, so I love all the stuff, but I find myself wondering if starting 4 apps just to run is really worth it. (HR app on the watch, Mapmyfitness, C25k(now I am on 10k trainer), and amazon music). But I love getting all the data and metrics... so it's something I am willing to do.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you have a preset playlist The Rundouble app can play it in order or shuffled.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I use a one of the fancy smart watches (Samsung gear 2 neo)

You need to have a Samsung smart phone to use it though. I use it mainly to track my heart rate and distance, with MapMyFitness running on my phone too, since that will track the gps.

I am going to give the Endomondo app on it a go tonight, it will eliminate the need for the app on the watch, and running mapmyfitness on the phone. Since Endomondo will record both heart rate, and gps distance. I'll report on how that goes, but after messing around with the app it looks pretty nice.

And I agree with @Upsaluki ... I am a big tech geek, so I love all the stuff, but I find myself wondering if starting 4 apps just to run is really worth it. (HR app on the watch, Mapmyfitness, C25k(now I am on 10k trainer), and amazon music). But I love getting all the data and metrics... so it's something I am willing to do.
    Strava will do heart rate and gps too, but doesn't have any training features. It has some nice social functions and allows you to plan routes and compare performance on common routes and segments.

• TowsonChuck
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Strava will do heart rate and gps too, but doesn't have any training features. It has some nice social functions and allows you to plan routes and compare performance on common routes and segments.

I have the Strava app, but the Strava samsung watch app doesn't utilize the built in Heart rate monitor. Where the Endomondo one does. Last night was my first run with that app , you get tons of good data too. Here is a screenshot of the data after the run, (2 screens)

7p4uxrfrnk5p.jpg

This is with the warmup/cooldown/1 min walks in the total time, which makes the pace times look longer then they probably are.

And Mile 2 was a lot of up hill which was reflected in the HR.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Cool. I probably would have gone with Endomondo, but a friend got me started on Strava. My dad gave me a Garmin forerunner 305 he never used, so I've been using that for HR and GPS. Eventually I want to get away from using my phone altogether. Not sure if that will happen though. For my race on Sunday I'm just going to use the Garmin and an ipod nano
  • sacto68
    sacto68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was using MapMyRun (MMR) on my Galaxy. But my phones GPS was temperamental and would sometimes loose signal. I never had an issue with MMR though. Once I finished C25K, I bought myself a Garmin Forerunner 220. Yes it's pricey, but very much worth it. I like being able to set my own intervals on the watch itself, glance at my pace/distance. Now I just carry my phone for music. I want to find a small mp3 player to take it's place.
  • TowsonChuck
    Options
    I had the same issue with the GPS on my old phone, (galaxy s3) . But A few weeks ago I upgraded to the Note 4, and love it. It works flawlessly as a new phone should.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I didn't track distances while working on C25k. My goal was to complete the timed version. After I completed, I've been using mapmyrun with no issues. I also use random music apps in combination. I had an iPhone5, just upgraded to a 6.