Marathon crash and burn

Options
kkramey1970
kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
This past Sunday I "ran" my third marathon. I'm not fast and my times for the other two were 5.5 hours and 5 hours. I was shooting for 4.5 for this year. As far as I know I did everything "right" to be able to reach my goal. On marathon day, I didn't do anything different - same shoes, shorts, shirt, socks, food, gels, drinks, hydrated exactly like I trained. Before the half way point I was pretty much done. I had nothing left. I was not running too fast. After the half way I changed to a walk/run to try and regroup. By mile 19 I was able to get my dad to join me at mile 20 to walk with me to the finish. Half way though the walk we stopped for him to take a bathroom break and I thought I was going to die. Hands and knees on the side of the road about to pass out. Dad helped me up and made me drink a lot of water and soon I felt fine. Stranges day of all my runnung. I've never had a blister but had them before I was half way done. Onle thing we can think is I developed a pretty good sinus cold the week before. Could it be something that easy drained me that easily? Anybody else ever bonk that bad? My finishing time was 5:53. So far from where I trained to be...

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    First, sorry for the bonk. Alas yes I have been there. And I know others than have too. Sometimes it is just not your day. Sucks. Hang in there!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you were not 100% well on the day. Bloody unlucky timing. Must have been very disappointing after all the hard work.

As you have put in all the work for training and nutrition and are race-ready, is there another race coming up in the next few weeks you can do?
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    If the blisters heal I plan an running a half marathon next weekend.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You say that you were not running too fast. But is there a chance that, although you were not running too fast for a 4:30 finish time, you were running too fast for you?
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    You say that you were not running too fast. But is there a chance that, although you were not running too fast for a 4:30 finish time, you were running too fast for you?

I was thinking the same... How did you came up with that 4:30 goal?
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    All my training runs put me at that time. Maybe just a little slower. I've got really good excuses for the first two marathon times :) Those were also supposed to be close to the 4:30 finish time. All my long runs averaged around 10:15-10:30 pace and the short week runs were around 10:00 pace. I've just never ran out of gas so bad.
  • litsy3
    Options
    Okay, so you've been doing all your long training runs at target race pace - that was more likely to just wear you out. I'd expect a person whose long runs were that pace to be racing at more like 9:30-9:45 pace. I think you'd want to slow down the training a bit to maybe 11:00 pace and build your aerobic base up.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you've been doing all your long training runs at target race pace - that was more likely to just wear you out. I'd expect a person whose long runs were that pace to be racing at more like 9:30-9:45 pace. I think you'd want to slow down the training a bit to maybe 11:00 pace and build your aerobic base up.

I agree.

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I agree.

Yep.

You can't determine marathon pace based on training runs. You shouldn't be doing all your long runs at the projected marathon pace either.

Use a calculator to determine what you marathon pace *might* be based on a previous race of a shorter distance. And even then, the calculator will be inaccurate for marathon pace UNLESS you have years of high mileage training under you belt. I'm talking about 2000+ miles per year. Then and only then will the prediction of a marathon finish time be closer to accurate. It's very hard to predict because it a distance that can (and often does) completely deplete the body of fuel that is stored in the form of glycogen.
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    Sounds good. Still baffled at why I ran out of juice half way instead of maybe my longest training run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Still baffled at why I ran out of juice half way instead of maybe my longest training run.

Could have been the illness, could have been that your glycogen stores weren't topped off, could have been that you used more energy in that first half than you thought you did because of temperature, terrain or other factors. I bonked at mile 17 on my last marathon which was 6 months after the previous one and I was running the same pace that I was in the previous one. It was a little hillier, it was a little warmer and I was a little heavier. All these things come into play.
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    THanks everyone for the words. Guess it just happens. Maybe I'll attempt it again someday. Until then...
  • litsy3
    Options

I think being exhausted from having done all that training too hard might have contributed. I wouldn't be running a half next weekend if it was me! Recover first.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I think being exhausted from having done all that training too hard might have contributed. I wouldn't be running a half next weekend if it was me! Recover first.

First of all, sorry to hear about your problems. But...there is always another race!

I agree with the above poster! I am at the process of recovering from an overuse injury and what I have learned is that giving your body time to recover is a must, at least for me!

I did a 10k trail race on a Saturday, ran 18.7 km three days later and then around 8km for three consecutive days right after that. Suddenly my fibula or the tendons around it, below my knee started hurting on the lateral side and for the last two weeks I was in pain. I will not do this again...

Anyhow, whatever you decide, best of luck
    Stef.
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    Thanks again. Going to do the half anyway. Not worried about time or pace. Its a local run that I've done the last two years so I'm trying to make it an annual event. After that I'll be done for the year. Thanks :)
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks again. Going to do the half anyway. Not worried about time or pace. Its a local run that I've done the last two years so I'm trying to make it an annual event. After that I'll be done for the year. Thanks :)

Sorry to hear about the bonk..

I can't agree enough with all of the advice above. If you are determine to do this half without a full recovery, I would highly recommend not trying to race it. At all. Take it at a VERY slow recovery effort (or slower) and just enjoy the experience. If there's any sign of pain, walk.
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    Exactly my plan :)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »

Could have been the illness, could have been that your glycogen stores weren't topped off, could have been that you used more energy in that first half than you thought you did because of temperature, terrain or other factors. I bonked at mile 17 on my last marathon which was 6 months after the previous one and I was running the same pace that I was in the previous one. It was a little hillier, it was a little warmer and I was a little heavier. All these things come into play.

Carson is nailing it right on the head! So many factors go into race day, only some of which do we actually have control over. Even if all factors were the same, course, terrain, training, diet, overall health, etc.... you're still likely to get different results. Bonking sucks, but it's all part of the experience if you run more than one marathon. This past year I've changed my training a tad so that my long runs are slower and my fast (pace, speed) runs are faster. I have been following the Jack Daniels running formula. He believes many runners run their long slow runs too fast, and their speed word too slow. I saw an improvement in my times this year by following this.

Good luck on your next race! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I recommend picking up a copy of Matt Fitzgerald's book "80/20". It explains the physiology and psychology behind everything that is being said here. I have been following his training advice and it's working well. I understand now why I need to run more long, slower miles and I am also getting more out of my tempo runs and speed work. It's very hard to grasp (or trust in) the concept at first, but I have definitely seen its benefits.
  • kkramey1970
    Options
    Will definitely check out the book. As far as the race Saturday - went great. Didn't beat my previous times but enjoyed myself and finished with a 2:20:12 or something like that. Also got to run across the finish line with my 5 year old daughter so it was a great way to end my running year. Now its time to relax and fix all my aches and pains. Until next year...