Surgery set for Nov. 10th 2014...any advice?!

Options
wkrukow
wkrukow Posts: 26 Member
So I am about 12 days away from my surgical date...any advice? My insurance changed their requirements so surgery is soon....I'm excited and nervous and would love any help or ideas for post surgery :-)

Replies

• TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Hello. Im due to be banded 7 days after you. So i can offer very little advice myself but just wanted to say hello and wish you luck. xx
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the surgery date! I would recommend following the pre-surgery meal plan and starting (or continuing) your exercise. It will help with recovery. I made sure all my meds could be crushed or at least cut up since you have to take small sips for the first couple of weeks. You might want to get some protein samples (Unjury and Syntax both offer samples as well as tubs) and your tastes can change after surgery as well so keep that in mind. Find out what your surgeon's meal plans allow for the first couple of weeks after surgery so you can have some things on hand. Other than that --- rest and relax! Hope all goes well.
  • benagek
    benagek Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just keep focused on the end result. Pre-surgery liquids and immediately following can be tough, but keep remembering that every day is a step closer to where you want to be. I'm 5 weeks out and feeling "normal" again. My biggest challenge now is just remembering to only dish a little bit of food on my plate because I simply am going to get full within minutes. It's funny how habits are so ingrained. :smile:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is do what you are supposed to do as instructed by your surgeon and his team. Also, like klcovington said, have the things on hand that you will need after surgery. Planning is super important to help keep you on track.

7396232.png
  • wkrukow
    Options
    TashTag wrote: »
    Hello. Im due to be banded 7 days after you. So i can offer very little advice myself but just wanted to say hello and wish you luck. xx

Thank you and good luck to you also!
  • wkrukow
    Options
    I think I have just about everything....picking up a few things this weekend and that should be it. Thank you for your advice...I am planning to stick to instructions from my surgeon. I'm just getting nervous I guess. Really want to have a positive experience.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just follow what your dr tells you to do. I am 7 weeks out and it gets easier when you can have solid foods again!
  • wkrukow
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I can't wait till my date arrives, still in the approval portion, about one more week and my surgeon's office will be submitting to insurance for hopefully a quick approval! (finger's crossed)!
  • Just listen to your doc and follow the rules. Soon enough you'll ne back to regular food so just embrace it and have patience with yourself. Bring earplugs/eye mask to the hospital if noise and light bothers you. Ask your doc what meds he uses in the hospital as I had my gall bladder and vsg both laparoscopically and the gall bladder I got shots and had pain while the vsg I had a morphine button and I was completely pain free and fine. It helped me to want to walk around afterward which is important. Bring those melt on your tongue gas x strips and have a heating pad avail at home in case you have pain. Get your protein shakes, I use premier protein from Costco as many vsg people do, or try any you like. I did designer whey in the beginning with skim plus milk per my doc Bc the skim plus was giving me calories and nutrients when I was on the sugar free low cal diet for a week after surgery. Sugar free fat free jello is good to have and. Sugar free ice pops. Get tiny cups and tiny spoons to help you remember to consume little bits at a time. Just suggestions. I also found the most helpful thing was to blog or write about it. It brought out all sorts of emotions and I realized a lot about myself after having it. I blog anonymously on Wordpress if you want to read it feel free. My reason for sharing is to say that getting those feelings out is important. Www.betterfromthekneesdown.wordpress.com