Outside safety

Options
snbouchard81
snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
I want to run outside more but I workout (including running) alone. What safety precautions do you use when running alone (if any)? Do you take pepper spray and if so how do you carry it? I don't live in a bad area but I don't want to do anything stupid or naive either.

Replies

• XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I live in a pretty safe area and so dont have many precautions. I do carry my Phone with me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Situational awareness mainly. That said I'm 6ft1, 160lbs and broad across the shoulders so I'munlikely to end up in anything physical.

I get verbal now and again, and then I just use humour to lighten the mood.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Road ID is a good idea. Always make sure you somewhere knows where you are going and an approximate time you'll be done.
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I run at the park where there are usually several other people nearby. Also, my husband goes with me most times. He doesn't run with me, but does his own thing within visual distance "just in case". But generally it's a pretty safe area.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood. My husband knows where I run/the route I take and I always let him know when I'm leaving. I use my phone for music and to run the app so I have that with me too. I also try to stay aware of my surroundings.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    +1 for be aware of your surroundings, +1 for letting people know when and where, carry an attitude - I'm a runner - I'm badass - get out of my way !
  • BRich_15
    BRich_15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do the same route through the housing estate which is approximately 1.5 miles. I let OH know when I'll be back. I don't bother carrying my phone it just anoys me. The dog walkers are getting used to seeing me now and I've only done 2 weeks. I'm feeling quite safe.
  • ShyButSweet
    ShyButSweet Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    - Carry ID with you (whether it's "Road ID", or driver's license). that way if something happens, they have your name and address, can identify you and locate your loved ones to inform them of the situation;

- Phone (cell phones are great as they have apps, tracking your route, if you get lost and need directions, allow you to call for help / assistance - whether it's because you've been asssaulted, got injured during your training, witnessed an accident or other situation requiring assistance (police and/or medical alike) or have simply gone much farther then you anticipated and are too tired to make your way back (hey, it could happen))'

- Have $5.00 on you (certainly you can opt to carry more or less money while out for a workout. I simply like to tuck away a $5.00. Whether I need it to purchase water/snack, make a call, use a cab/bus to return to my start point). It's always handy to have a few dollars in your back pocket for the "just in case" situations.

- Wear visible colors (alot of people wear dark, sombre colours. I know that black is slimming, and we ladies all love that, but really, it's hard to find in the ditch, and in the dark. By wearing visible, bright colours, it will be easy for people to see you and even identify you should something happen. Example: running on road, rather than just do your typical 5 km, you opt to complete 8 km that day. Someone working in their yard, sorta sees you go by, as they go about their lawn improvment. They've witnessed you running about, and can ID you as a woman, approx 5'4, orange jacket and yellow shoes. When your spouse notices you haven't returned from your usual 30 mins run, and goes out looking for you, happens to travel same path as you, and asks around, this same man can ID you, as he has seen you run by earlier, maybe 15 mins ago or so. Letting your spouse know, that you were on your usual route, and were okay as of 15 mins ago. That's a good point to go from onwards. Same goes in the event of an accident).
    - For evening workouts / when it's dark out: wear visible colors AND reflective gear. Blinky lights are also great. You can get them for a few bucks in most fitness apparel store, and pet stores (little lights you would clip on to a dog's collar - same concept - works great). Vehicles will see the light and will be easier to avoid you. Should something happen (exemple you faint in a park, or side of road) your clothes or reflective gear may not draw attention, but that blinking light on your jacket or your shoe will, and someone will be along to help you.

- Let someone know (this is often easier said then done. all depending if you live alone or not. however, with txt msg nowadays, it's much easier than it use to be. I personally always enjoyed workint out in the evenings - so calling a friend or family member between 9-1030 at night to say, hey i'm going for jog, isn't always the best received disruption to their evenings. When feasible, yes, you should let someone know, but it's not the worst thing in the world, if you don't tell someone everytime you go for a jog/run. Besides, when you think about it, you don't tell someone every time you leave the house for errands or work or what not. So long as people in your life know that you workout / run, if you're not home and they are concerned, they will gravitate to the idea that you may be out for a workout. this is another factor supporting the use of carrying your cell phone. They can reach you, and you can confirm that you're well and just out for a nice jog, returning in approx. x mins. you'll call them back when you get home and/or see them there (depending on who called).

- buddy up (this is for less desirable areas, and/or late workouts. always best to use to buddy system. The positive flip side of having a workout buddy, is pretty self-explanatory - helps with motivation and accountability. if you're suppose to go for a run at 06:00 in the a.m. and lack the desire one morning, well guess what, buddy is waiting for you at predetermined location and/or may even be showing up to ring your doorbell in a few minutes, so get up, get dressed and get out there.)

summary:
    - ID
    - Cell phone
    - Money ($5 or so)
    - Visible Clothes (bright colours, reflective gear, and lights)
    - Info someone
    - Buddy up

Hope this helps.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I want to run outside more but I workout (including running) alone. What safety precautions do you use when running alone (if any)? Do you take pepper spray and if so how do you carry it? I don't live in a bad area but I don't want to do anything stupid or naive either.

I run in a local park in the east end of London, and I feel grand.

It's a place with lots of joggers and dog-walkers - I just make sure I don't go too late (latest I get home is before 8pm). The park is a north-south length (it's rather narrow), and I always start going south as I know that's where most of the people are, better lights, and half way through the run it's near a hockey pitch and sports stadium, so even more people and lights.
    Be sensible when choosing your route.

I also make sure i'm visible - I wear hi-vis vest over my jacket and don't stray from the main, lit paths. I used to feel like a doofus wearing the hi-vis, but then who cares? I want to be seen - as much for cyclists to not crash in to me as much as feeling safe generally.

All I carry in my pockets are my house keys and my phone (for the C25K app and music!).