anyone planning on getting the fitbit surge HR?

Options
itsbasschick
itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
a fitbit with a continuous heart rate monitor - now, that sounds like exactly what i'd like. tracks resting as well as working out heart rate, wrist worn. anyone else considering one of these beasts?

Replies

• Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a flex, bought a force last year and then it was recalled :neutral_face: I'm holding out for the Surge. It's spendy but my Flex is 3 years old so I'm giving myself a prezzie as a reward for progress (*)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I want one really badly, but the hubs will probably not let me get one...I just got my Flex last Christmas (got a One the Christmas before that) so I think I have to wait for a bit. I can't justify spending money on another one while this one still works perfectly :'(
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Im planning on getting one :) I cant wait to see how much progress I make between now and the undetermined release date. Ive only had my fitbit a few weeks and its my obsession.
  • glenbea
    glenbea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to get the Charge HR when it comes out early next year. The Surge is larger and looks more like a watch. It's a $100 more than the Charge HR which also has a watch, caller ID and does the same things. I have the Force now and love it. I've had no problems with it. A few people had skin irritations with it, but I haven't and I've had it since the Force first came out almost 2 years ago. The Charge HR would add the Heart Rate Monitor.
  • momwow17
    momwow17 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've had the Force for a year now and I've lost 50 lbs. I'm definitely buying the next generation Fitbit but I'm not sure which one. I think the GPS would be cool , but not sure it's worth an extra $100. Plus it doesn't look very feminine to me. Either way I wish it was coming out before Christmas! I can't wait!
  • Pandathon
    Pandathon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was on the market for a running watch and ended up buying a polar M400 a few days ago, so when Fitbit finally announced the Surge this week, at first I was full of doubt and regret...

But on second thought: what i love about my Fitbit One is it's tiny size and stealth, I don't want to wear a huge watch for daily activity tracking or sleeping and don't see the Surge as an alternative to the One. As a side note, it looks like all the new devices are wrist-bands, hope the smaller sized trackers won't be discontinued at some point...

So then there's the gps and heart rate monitor, which sound great. But are they any better than a dedicated entry-level running watch like the M400 or the Forerunner 220?
    GPS will probably be the same precision but not so sure about the optical HRM compared to a good chest strap (which i can deal with for an hour every few days, i actually forget i'm wearing it until i hit the shower)...

That said, can't wait for the reviews, and also see how it compares to the microsoft band which also looks like a really cool device.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued as well. I would like a HR monitor, and I really like the Fitbit interface. I love my One, but I am on my 3rd one now as I keep losing the little devils! Luckily I have been able to find deals on them. I might be better with a band, BUT, I do have really sensitive skin so I am hoping I am not allergic to any of it. Wearing something on my wrist again would take some getting used to, I haven't worn a watch in about 5 years or more, since I had a putty knife accident and had scar tissue there. It has since subsided, so I hope it would be OK. I would more likely get the smaller one as something big will not work for me everyday.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have NOT seen any of the normal HRM comments of EKG accurate - and other wrist models like this are NOT. They are for getting an idea of what your HR does through the day, sort of getting your circadian rhythm down type usefulness - but it's NOT useful for getting better calorie count because it's not accurate enough.

Besides - the formula for calories based on HR is not more accurate than the formula's Fitbit uses for walking and running calories already.
    If you have your stride length correct anyway.

There are only a couple models of HRM that are wrist only classified as EKG - and you should see the imprint on the skin from the required tightness to obtain that.
  • heybales
    Options
    Knew I'd seen it in other places. Read how it's getting the HR. Tell me that isn't going to automatically work well across many people. What if you like need to lose weight and have extra fat on your wrist?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Heart-rate-FAQs?c=Topics:Accuracy&p=charge_hr&fs=Search&l=en_US&pn=1

No studies yet on the accuracy across a range of people that I could find.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Knew I'd seen it in other places. Read how it's getting the HR. Tell me that isn't going to automatically work well across many people. What if you like need to lose weight and have extra fat on your wrist?

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Heart-rate-FAQs?c=Topics:Accuracy&p=charge_hr&fs=Search&l=en_US&pn=1

No studies yet on the accuracy across a range of people that I could find.

It seems to say it is close to as accurate as a chest strap. That's fine for me because I haven't used either of my Polar chest straps (bluetooth or fitness watch) in quite some time because they seem to have "died". I have not felt it important enough to read on troubleshooting online. So, if my Fitbit tracked HR, I would be very happy. I want the smaller one and GPS is irrelevant with Runkeeper and similar programs out there. I always carry my phone anyway.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I want to get the Charge HR. I've had my One for just under a year and really depend on it. I was really surprised at how much I get out of it. I was lost when the battery went bad in my first one and I had a couple of days without a FitBit.

My biggest hesitation is having to wear something on my wrist. I'm very easily bothered by minor clothing issues and such (my husband frequently mentions The Princess and the Pea - and he's right), but I really like the idea of a HRM integrated with my indispensable FitBit. So, I guess I'll see if I can get used to a wristwatch again (I did wear one, many years ago, back in the dark ages).

I don't see getting the Surge because it is much more expensive, much bigger and I don't particularly need the GPS. Most of my cardio exercise is Zumba, although the new features that FitBit has added in their "Track your exercise" feature is going to end up encouraging me to walk more, at least for a while, just to try it out. The problem is, walking seems to aggravate my plantar fasciitis more than Zumba does. Plus, winter is coming. (Insert Game of Thrones theme.)
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I haven't been on MFP for a month or so--wow things have changed! I am curious about the Charge HR. Fitbit actually sent me a Charge and I am wearing both my Charge and One right now to compare and write a review. This is my first time wearing a wrist worn fitbit, I've always been skeptical. I do prefer my One still, but I heard they are working on a way for people to associate two devices to a single account. If that happens I may be tempted to get a Charge HR, but I think I prefer my Bluetooth chest strap. I am pleasantly surprised that my One and Charge are giving similar calorie burn estimates so far. My One has more steps and the charge 40 more calories for the entire day so far (12am - 4 pm).
  • mamaboys3
    mamaboys3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am also considering getting the Charge HR but will wait to see reviews on the accuracy of the HR monitor as I'm skeptical about a wrist-based monitor vice a chest strap. I've always been a Polar fan for exercise but really like the idea of all day continuous monitoring to get a more accurate idea of calorie burn (in theory anyway). I am also hesitant about wearing a monitor on my wrist so if FitBit does actually allow us to link two devices to one account, that would be awesome. I can then use my One on days when I can't wear a wrist device!
  • twentiesbrunette
    twentiesbrunette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My friend has the Polar Heart Rate Monitor & I was really impressed with it.. I like that it has the chest strap. I am not sure about the Charge HR regarding it being on the wrist & accuracy. I do plan on getting a Polar for Christmas since it syncs up with the new treadmills/ellipticals, etc at the gym. I think I will wait to hear what people say in 2015 after using the Charge HR.
  • heybales
    Options
    mamaboys3 wrote: »
    I've always been a Polar fan for exercise but really like the idea of all day continuous monitoring to get a more accurate idea of calorie burn (in theory anyway).

Actually, in theory you can NOT use HR for all day calorie estimation.

The ONLY relationship between HR and calorie burn is during aerobic exercise, steady-state same HR for 2-4 min. That is the only time the heart must beat faster to provide enough oxygen needed to burn the fuel being used for the exercise.

Below that aerobic exercise range, and above it anaerobic, there is no such relationship between what the HR is doing and the calorie burn.

Even been sitting there during a scary movie and HR jumps up. Or stressed at work same effect. Or finished 3 coffees. Your calorie burn didn't just go up some big amount, but if trying to base it on an increase of 20-30 bpm increase in HR, you'll get an inflated calorie burn.
  • mamaboys3
    mamaboys3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    mamaboys3 wrote: »
    I've always been a Polar fan for exercise but really like the idea of all day continuous monitoring to get a more accurate idea of calorie burn (in theory anyway).

Actually, in theory you can NOT use HR for all day calorie estimation.

The ONLY relationship between HR and calorie burn is during aerobic exercise, steady-state same HR for 2-4 min. That is the only time the heart must beat faster to provide enough oxygen needed to burn the fuel being used for the exercise.

Below that aerobic exercise range, and above it anaerobic, there is no such relationship between what the HR is doing and the calorie burn.

Even been sitting there during a scary movie and HR jumps up. Or stressed at work same effect. Or finished 3 coffees. Your calorie burn didn't just go up some big amount, but if trying to base it on an increase of 20-30 bpm increase in HR, you'll get an inflated calorie burn.

I was just wondering about that -- thanks for the info. For example, I have mild asthma and every now and then take some albuterol prior to exercising. My HR increases from the medication, but I never really understood if the calorie burn increases as well. My Polar HR monitor says it does because it thinks I'm working harder when I know I'm not. I appreciate the info -- and one more reason to consider NOT buying the Charge HR!
  • heybales
    Options
    So true for meds, and there are plenty of folks with conditions that cause constantly elevated HR, and in fact with meds it only lowers a little bit.

Totally wasted money in that case too.

Though, Fitbit knows this, or should, and will likely do what the other activity trackers do that have HR, it's merely a glimpse in to what it does all day - no calorie burn is actually based on it.

In fact if stride length is correct, and therefore pace is right, calculations for pace and mass are more accurate that HRM anyway.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I agree it is unlikely the surge calorie burn would be correct (if heart rate based) for non aerobic activity. Maybe if they are also using movement, I don't know enough about the surge or charge HR to guess. I have fitbit friends who also use a wrist hrm (I think Mio and some use Basis), they like it for walking when they don't feel like wearing their chest strap and claim the heart rate readings are pretty similar to the chest strap. I have a Schoshe armband monitor strap that uses the same technology and it usually gives similar or matching readings to my Polar chest strap. So I don't see any reason to second guess the device based on it being worn on the wrist (though I haven't tried it). I think it could be a good alternative for people who find chest straps uncomfortable or impractical.

But I wouldn't trust a heart rate based calorie burn for non-exercise. It is possible you might burn a little more at rest from your meds. But a fitness heart rate monitor won't be programmed to accommodate this--they work on the assumption you are exercising.

Of course, I am not privy to the details of the Charge HR, I just cannot see how they could use heart rate to estimate non exercise calorie burn (and from their description it sounds like they intend the HR data to be applied during exercise). I could be handy for people who need to monitor their heart rate for other reasons--though I doubt I would trust it as a medical device. But maybe for people who use biofeedback for stress management (I know people sometimes take their pulse for this purpose). I do think it is better thought out than the withings pulse as the pulse only does a spot check of heart rate.

• Cre27
    Cre27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My concern is the accuracy, people I know who has the Flex steps are not really accurate.The movement of the arm should not count as steps, and the Flex does count any arm movement. I decided to get the Force for this reason. I would love to try the Surge/Charger, but I am concerned about the accuracy.
  • ilovemaisy
    ilovemaisy Posts: 54
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The flex doesn't count any arm movement?