anyone planning on getting the fitbit surge HR?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    ilovemaisy wrote: »
    The flex doesn't count any arm movement?

It should not, it's trying to take that out of the sensor movement to detect impact of steps.

In real life though, it can depending on the arm movement, looking like arm movement with steps involved.

Same way it can be on wrist on shopping cart not moving, and if a smooth walker it may not see steps taken either.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    ilovemaisy wrote: »
    The flex doesn't count any arm movement?

I don't have the Flex, but I do have the new Charge. It really doesn't count arm movements as much as I expected it would. It will count some larger arm movements but I don't get "steps" with smaller movements like typing, etc. I did find it doesn't credit me with any steps for pushing a shopping cart, some people have that issue and some don't. I have mine set to "non-dominant" hand and I wear it on that wrist. I think the settings can make a difference. My Charge actually (usually) counts fewer steps than my One but it estimates slightly higher calories burned than the One (the difference is small for me though). I was worried that a wrist worn device would overcount. I actually haven't had that issue so my old position that the wrist worn are less accurate has softened. I still prefer my One though mainly because I don't always want my device to be visable.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    I'll be getting one of the HR versions of FB once they come out and doing a side by side comparison just like I did with the FB One/Flex. My One has helped me lose 50+ lbs but I know that its not exactly right as I am eating a tad more than what MFP/FB says I should eat and I am still (very slowly) losing weight.

I want to try the new versions to see what TDEE number I get based on the "all day" HR input. If its no difference than my One, I will return it and keep eating a bit more than suggested.
  • heybales
    I'll be getting one of the HR versions of FB once they come out and doing a side by side comparison just like I did with the FB One/Flex. My One has helped me lose 50+ lbs but I know that its not exactly right as I am eating a tad more than what MFP/FB says I should eat and I am still (very slowly) losing weight.

I want to try the new versions to see what TDEE number I get based on the "all day" HR input. If its no difference than my One, I will return it and keep eating a bit more than suggested.

Sadly, there is no correlation between HR and calorie burn outside of aerobic exercise.

They won't use HR for that purpose during the day, merely to provide some more daily info to perhaps find meaningful, or at least they'll try to convince you it is.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    heybales wrote: »

Sadly, there is no correlation between HR and calorie burn outside of aerobic exercise.

They won't use HR for that purpose during the day, merely to provide some more daily info to perhaps find meaningful, or at least they'll try to convince you it is.

I read so many times that HRM are not good for giving calorie burns except for steady paced cardio exercises but since I have no other tool to use to figure out my calorie burn during exercise, I used my HRM during weight lifting (I rarely do cardio, nor do I want to). And I was able to consistently lose weight when that was my goal. Between the FB One and my Polar HRM, I was able to lose a total of 78 lbs and it was not hard doing it either. Because the "estimates" were close enough.

The newest FB with HR numbers are better than nothing at all and I am more than willing (and financially able) to give it a try come spring time. And if the estimates are still close enough, I will be happy. If not, it will go back to the store.
  • natacos
    natacos Posts: 17 Member
    heybales wrote: »

I was just wondering about this. Has FB communicated how the HR data will be used? Is it just a separate data point with its own charts? Does it kick in if you set it to activity tracking mode to help calculate calorie burn? Can it be used to better track sleep (assume your heartrate gets lower as you're in a deeper sleep? I think sometimes my current fitbit assumes I'm asleep when I'm not moving even if I'm wide awake and trying to fall asleep)
  • heybales
    Actually, if you've had a good workout, the repair during the night can cause HR to be higher most of the night than normal, finally reach a low before waking up.
    Also, during dreaming it will go up.
    So HR as sleep verify won't work either. At least I hope they don't attempt to, this research has been around awhile.

There are several other activity trackers that use constant HR monitoring, with same level of accuracy (not great), to give general indications of health, stress, ect.

The idea of trying to sense HR through the skin has been around awhile. Should be interesting how well it works on chubby wrists, or people that don't like it that tight.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I'm interested in it. I think I'll buy it directly from them, so if I don't like it or find it's accuracy is really bad, I can return it without too much hassle.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    I'm considering it myself as well! Saving up for it is a bit of a hassle, but I am a big one for accuracy and my flex doesn't count stairs or HR....
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I'm conflicted. I've had a One for over 2 years now and I really don't want to replace it when it's still working. It's paid for itself so many times over but still don't want to part with it. I love that it is so small and when I first got it didn't want the world to see it had something fitness related. The more time passes I'm warming up to either the Surge or Charge. I've done a bit of reading on them but will probably wait until both are available to make my final decision and by that time maybe my One will be on its last leg and need to be replaced.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    I went from a One to a vivofit after my one packed up - well it still worked but was only holding a charge for a day and a half and now I cant bloody find it. I hated the vivofit. The fact you dont have to charge it was the only plus. It has a really unfriendly user interface. Ive now got a fitbit charge plugged into its charger waiting for its first full day of use tomorrow. I decided not to wait for the HR one as I have a Polar FT7 and rarely use that so figured it was an outlay I didnt need. I use Map My Fitness for exercise logging, i know it over inflates but I dont eat back my exercise cals and once I hit maintenance will eat back half what it gives me and tweak it from there
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    I... don't know. I HATE waiting, the "release dates" or lack thereof and delay in getting it to Canada are super annoying, and the Polar M400 and Basis Peak are out now (kind of). Waiting for more reviews to come in.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    I'm thinking about getting a FB because I heard so many good things about it. Curious on how well it helps and what others think of it in general.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    I was really excited for the Charge HR. I wanted a Force, missed out, and for only $20 more the extra data would be worth it. However, the more I look at the Jawbone Up3, the more I like it instead. There's no display, but there's so much data and it sounds like the sensors are better than FitBit's....
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Definitely thinking about it. I have a Zepyr HRM which seems to work with many programs (I use Digifit with it) but it really depends upon what I can do with the data compared to now.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    I'm getting one. Can't wait for it to come out. I wanted the force and then when it got recalled it didn't want to go with the flex bc of no interface. I love the color options too.
  • PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    I want one really badly, but the hubs will probably not let me get one...I just got my Flex last Christmas (got a One the Christmas before that) so I think I have to wait for a bit. I can't justify spending money on another one while this one still works perfectly :'(

Sell your older Fitbit's on Craigslist, etc. so you can buy the one you want.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm conflicted. I've had a One for over 2 years now and I really don't want to replace it when it's still working. It's paid for itself so many times over but still don't want to part with it. I love that it is so small and when I first got it didn't want the world to see it had something fitness related. The more time passes I'm warming up to either the Surge or Charge. I've done a bit of reading on them but will probably wait until both are available to make my final decision and by that time maybe my One will be on its last leg and need to be replaced.

I love my One too but I have lost 2 of them now so I am all for trying something different! I prefer to stay with Fitbit products as I like the interface and the seamless sync with MFP. Plus, I wouldn't have to transfer it to an armband to track sleep. The HR data would more be for my own health not calorie burn as I am getting older now and have high blood pressure.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    edited December 2014
    I just bought a gently used flex on eBay for half the cost of a new one. I really want the HR but I didn't want to wait until the Spring to start tracking. I turn 40 in April and my goal is to drop at least 40 lbs by then. I figured it's better to start now than to wait. I will either pass my flex on to my daughter or hawk it on eBay when I upgrade to the HR.
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    I got my surge yesterday as part of the limited release. I have a separate discussion started if you want to read my replied to questions and my comments about it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030464/the-surge#latest