Keto as lifestyle

Options
To be honest I don't know if I will be on a ketogenic diet forever but at the moment I do it as a lifestyle. Mainly because I love being active and I thrive so much better when I run.
I hear a lot from people who say they are in ketosis. My aim is more being keto adapted where my body can use the ketones as fuel instead of being a metabolic by-product only.
I am just wondering whether anyone else here is doing it as lifestyle.
By the way. I am looking for new friends on longtime keto but not exclusively. Just add me

Replies

• crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Me, I'm thinking of doing this as a lifestyle cuz I feel so much better. I've only been doing it for two months but I'm carb-phobic now. I've kept it under 20g for the most part. And I haven't really lost all that much weight or measurements but somehow my clothes are getting loose (i don't get it), so that's a good benefit. The difference when exercising is unbelievable. I used to have 3-5 meals a day and even with all the food in my system I still had to have 1-2 granola bars right before exercising so I wouldn't get dizzy. Now, I do fasted-cardio (after 15-20 hr fast) and don't even get tired, much less get dizzy. I do try to eat after the exercise though, but even then, I'm usually not hungry. It's amazing...
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's hopefully a lifestyle forever for me; after 2+ years of sticking to keto 95% of the time I never want to return to hell!
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this will be a lifestyle for me. Been at it since March, down nearly 90 pounds. I have PCOS and literally nothing else has worked, plus I love the non-weightloss benefits of keto.

My rule of thumb will probably be 97% keto, 3% not throughout life. For instance, since March I have eaten non-keto for 1 weekend while I was on vacation and will not eat keto when I visit my parents for Christmas. If I keep it to a ratio like that (1-2 weeks non-keto per year) I know everything will be fine.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    No matter if I need to lose weight or not, I plan on continuing this lifestyle. I haven't physically felt this great for years. Although I might have a cheat every so often.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle...definitely. It feels way too good not to keep doing this for long term.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    dcristo213 wrote: »
    Lifestyle...definitely. It feels way too good not to keep doing this for long term.
    DCR;

And you can't even "feel" the long term benefits taking place inside your body and brain - YET!!!

The "evidence", in the form of actual "science" just KEEPS COMING. Took way too long, and still taking way to long for the "mainstream" to catch on but it IS happening.

The part that "feels good" today is great, BUT it's the long term stuff that you'll be very thankful for having recognized and understood, years from now.

• Kathrynrbg
    Kathrynrbg Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am looking for to be keto adapted too, i ordered a ketone meter i have been doing this lifestyle for 4 1/2 weeks and i totally love how i feel.
    Does anybody know if there is a group here with the goal of Nutritional Ketosis/Keto adaptation instead of only ketosis???
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Kathrynrbg wrote: »
    I am looking for to be keto adapted too, i ordered a ketone meter i have been doing this lifestyle for 4 1/2 weeks and i totally love how i feel.
    Does anybody know if there is a group here with the goal of Nutritional Ketosis/Keto adaptation instead of only ketosis???
    Kat;

Not sure exactly what you mean by "...instead of only ketosis."

To my mind "nutritional ketosis" has a very well defined meaning (0.5 or greater blood level of ketones measured).

The "confusion" comes (IMO) when people misuse the term "keto" to mean any of the various forms of "low carb" - which is NOT what it means.

Yes, technically, the production of ketone bodies begins long before one attains nutritional ketosis - indeed, infants enter ketosis hours after birth in many cases but that's not what is referenced in the current scientific literature.

Much like "kleenex" coming to mean anything from the "real thing" to the cheap, dollar store, hunks of tissue replete with chunks of wood, "common usage" shouldn't be enough to change the meaning of a word.

Most of the posters on the Low Carbers Daily Forum understand the nuances and while some are truly devotees of nutritional ketosis, others utilize other methods of LCHF, VLCHF, or atkins while respecting other's choices.

There is also a dedicated "atkins" group but it is not very active.

Here's the Low Carber Daily link:
    http://tinyurl.com/mfa638q

Scroll down past the "announcements" section (it's outdated and not maintained) to the posts
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    To be honest I don't know if I will be on a ketogenic diet forever but at the moment I do it as a lifestyle. Mainly because I love being active and I thrive so much better when I run.
    I hear a lot from people who say they are in ketosis. My aim is more being keto adapted where my body can use the ketones as fuel instead of being a metabolic by-product only.
    By the way. I am looking for new friends on longtime keto but not exclusively. Just add me

I guess I'm the odd one out. I don't want a keto lifestyle after goals are reached. My preferred is a primal LCHF; upper tier (100-150carbs). I love veggies too much for a sustainable lifestyle by choice. Only something health-wise would make me switch back to Keto.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

After only 90 days with the last 30 being in full-time nutritional ketosis I think it will be a lifestyle for me. I tried the VCO for pain then decided to finally cut all added sugar and both help my pain level plus I am much stronger. I now think of sugar as poison so as to be repelled at the thought of eating it. :)

Perhaps if way down the road I was to become pain free without VOC/ketosis I would rethink my life style but at 63 what would be the point. Being an ambivert I never really felt any peer pressure that I found the need to give into in my life. As I noted else where I have 200 hours of reading with some technical stuff so in the end I make my own life decisions.

It is like my brain and body are coming out of a long trance.
  • natanyadigovich
    Options
    Lifestyle for sure. Since my teenage years I was put on Low Carb diets with less and less weight coming off each time I got back into the newest eating plan/diet. During these I would constantly be hungry, grumpy and bloated.

Keto works for me because:
    • I do not feel hungry all the time
    • More energy now
    • Better and deeper sleep
    • IBS no longer a problem

The only draw backs I have found are:
    • Limited safe drinks when out with friends (I live in Wine farm country)
    • Metal mouth
    • Less energy when hiking, this however got better once I became Keto adjusted.

Reddit was an enormous help with a lot of my fears and worries when I started

The subreddit xxKeto is a wonderful and supportive bunch of ladies:

http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo/

and this one was a great help with the training side of things

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Remember Keep Calm and Keto On :smile:
  • leicesteralex
    Options
    Lifestyle for sure. Since my teenage years I was put on Low Carb diets with less and less weight coming off each time I got back into the newest eating plan/diet. During these I would constantly be hungry, grumpy and bloated.

Keto works for me because:
    • I do not feel hungry all the time
    • More energy now
    • Better and deeper sleep
    • IBS no longer a problem

The only draw backs I have found are:
    • Limited safe drinks when out with friends (I live in Wine farm country)
    • Metal mouth
    • Less energy when hiking, this however got better once I became Keto adjusted.

Reddit was an enormous help with a lot of my fears and worries when I started

The subreddit xxKeto is a wonderful and supportive bunch of ladies:

http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo/

and this one was a great help with the training side of things

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Remember Keep Calm and Keto On :smile:

Thanks for that m8
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, so still learning.

I feel like I have only been in ketosis, and not yet given myself the chance to become keto adapted. This is because...i'm still learning and have made mistakes in underestimating or guessing carb contents...plus a weekend pub crawl which ended with mcdonalds!!

I started down the low carb course because I am trying to get my weight down and after a few months of calorie restrictions and then increased exercising I wasn't making any progress, for a month. I decided in September to give low carb a try and had to scale back on my workouts. So for the first month, I have only been walking (previously I had done a 5k -forcing myself to become a runner and many, many strength workouts) because I just didn't have the energy for anything more strenuous. I want to get back to running (maybe) and have recently started a strength routine. I think I need to be keto adapted for running though and know I am not there yet.

Anyways, I rambled a little...but I guess for me, low carb will be a lifestyle. I won't always restrict my carbs to keto, but I can't see myself ever going back to the carb heavy eating I previously "enjoyed". The weight loss (and eventual maintenance) are strong motivators, but also my family has been devastated by diabetes and I know if I am not careful, I'll be headed down that path as well. I am almost at my "goal" weight and now feel that I can go even lower with this lifestyle and feel healthier and eventually stronger then ever before.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Kathrynrbg wrote: »

I think for the most part that people in this group have the goal of nutritional ketosis and keto-adaptation.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    BansheeCat wrote: »

I guess I'm the odd one out. I don't want a keto lifestyle after goals are reached. My preferred is a primal LCHF; upper tier (100-150carbs). I love veggies too much for a sustainable lifestyle by choice. Only something health-wise would make me switch back to Keto.

Nope, you're not the odd one out, I am thinking I will do the EXACT same thing. I am keto-adapted/water fasting now until I reach my desired weight. At that point, I will increase my carbs to 100 or so and see if I can maintain my ideal weight. IF I can't maintain, I will lower the carbs until I do, and stick with that.

Dan the Odd Man Out from Michigan

• twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me the difference between keto and low carb? different foods
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    At or under 20g carbs daily. High fat, moderate protein.
    Read through this:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1
    It's the nutshell FAQ for Keto Reddit. Their full FAQ is on the site if you want/need more specifics.

Though in the doc they say macros of 5%carbs/60%fat/35%protein...but most I know try to get their fat (myself included) to 65% or 70% and protein lower.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    BansheeCat wrote: »

Nope, you're not the odd one out, I am thinking I will do the EXACT same thing. I am keto-adapted/water fasting now until I reach my desired weight. At that point, I will increase my carbs to 100 or so and see if I can maintain my ideal weight. IF I can't maintain, I will lower the carbs until I do, and stick with that.

Dan the Odd Man Out from Michigan

I'm another who doesn't want to do this forever. My goals are health-related, not to do with weight loss. Like the OP I want to become keto adapted, but then choose to dip in and out of ketosis.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    At or under 20g carbs daily. High fat, moderate protein.
    Read through this:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1
    It's the nutshell FAQ for Keto Reddit. Their full FAQ is on the site if you want/need more specifics.

Though in the doc they say macros of 5%carbs/60%fat/35%protein...but most I know try to get their fat (myself included) to 65% or 70% and protein lower.

OMG baconslave ....I just flagged you on accident and there's no way to undo it. I meant to quote you.

I thought Keto was under 50mg or as long as you're in ketosis...for some it can be as high as 100mg.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    Now it looks like unflagged. Please say I did. I'm so sorry.