New to the group - hello!

Options
calatheauk
calatheauk Posts: 15 Member
Hi everyone! I've just found this group and am very glad to see some fellow 5:2/IF people.

I'm on week 6 and I've lost 8lbs so far. I have 10lbs to go to a normal BMI. Although I try really hard not to set myself up for disappointment by setting calendar goals, I can't deny I'd really like to be at or very close to a normal BMI by the end of the year.

In 2005, I successfully lost 100lbs (from 260lbs to 160lbs) and I maintained an average of about 80% of that weight loss until 2012 when I became very ill. I very rapidly gained 35lbs due to medication/illness/comfort eating and hit 208lbs at my highest, which was so distressing because I really hoped, after so many years, that I'd never see the 200s again. Luckily, I got better and lost the 35lbs in the summer of 2013. However, right at the end of 2013 I developed a SECOND, related serious illness, and I gained 7lbs due to the steroids I took to control that illness. I'd like to say that I developed self-control over the comfort eating but actually the only reason I didn't eat more is that I felt so awful all the time I didn't really want to eat! I'm finally well enough again now to work on my weight and fitness again, but I felt very reluctant to go on a daily restrictive diet, even though I know I can do it successfully. My mum had just recently bought the Fast Diet book and it really grabbed me!

All my previous experiences of weight loss have been using the more conventional diets -- mainly Weightwatchers -- and I'm really loving IF as an alternative method. One of the things that I most disliked about doing WW or any other daily restriction diet was how disassociated I became from "normal" eating, i.e. the kind of eating you need to know how to do for the whole of the rest of your life once the weight is lost. At the moment I'm doing 4:3, with 600 calorie fast days (I am female but find 500kcal too hard esp. as I have some medication that MUST be taken with food several times a day). The other days I eat TDEE, and I try to eat exactly the sort of normal, mainly healthy diet I ate for all the years I was able to maintain my original weight loss.

Replies

• Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome on board the 5:2 train. I also follow the 4:3 pattern as I find it easier for my lifestyle. Have to say this is the only programme that has worked for me with any success. Please feel free to add me as a friend I am on daily and have an open diary.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Welcome - great to see you. I find 5:2 so much better than other methods because I only have to think about it for 2 days a week. The rest of the time I can eat normally.
  • kezwbatay
    kezwbatay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi...I started the 5:2 this week and yesterday was my first fast day. Things went ok and I didn't feel too hungry just drank plenty of water when I did. Hopefully I will find it easier to stick with as it is only 2 days a week and sensible eating the remainder of the week.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Welcome @calatheauk & @kezwbatay!

I don't think there is anything wrong with calendar goals as long as they aren't make-or-break. They should be used with a light-hand and based on what you've been averaging/actuals.

For example, when I started at 330's in late August, I wanted to get to 300 or less by my birthday in early October. A lot of diets start that way- ambitious goals to push you into restricting, over-exercising, etc. However, once I got started, my goals started to change. I felt like instead of having to push through with gritted teeth until I got to some goal and then I could "stop", I started to enjoy the process. I found something sustainable that I knew I would see progress over time if I could just keep going week to week, and that became my new goal. Actually still seechanges on the scale is a bonus!

Once I saw my weight loss averages, I changed my goal from 300 to 310 because it was something realistic that encouraged me to keep with it week to week, but did not become a line in the sand. I would be happy just making progress and the goal was fluid and adjustable.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    welcome to the Group! Nice to see fellow 5:2'ers :)
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree carbmonster... I wanted to "lose weight" so I could fit into my clothes... I get a little disappointed with my scale, but my size is decreasing so I have to reset my goals... it's not the scale, it's the size... Have a happy day! Tammy