Getting in the habit of throwing away food

Options
Mangopickle
Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
My biggest NSV lately has been throwing away food or leaving food on the plate at the restaurant. Perfectly healthy food, i.e. the last 4 baked chips in a snack bag, the last bites of the ceasar side salad, half a small wendys chili. Stopping eating when i am no longer hungry and before a feeling of fullness occurs. i notice more and more that this is about 10 bites slowly consumed. i am beginning to prefer not feeling full after eating. if someone told me a year ago that i would no longer feel the urge to clean my plate or not bother with a go box, i would have laughed in their face.

Replies

• ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It is so funny you mention this because I have been experiencing the same thing. I got out of my way to toss food when I am full and refuse to feel bad about wasting food.
    Good for you and great job.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My dog is loving my post-surgery routine! I am learning that I have a very hard time not finishing a portion. A couple of times I was only a couple of bites away from finishing the small portion I gave myself. I try to finish it, only to regret it about 7 minutes later.

The last couple of times, I recognized that I was about to try and force the last couple of bites down and I immediately got up and put it into the dog's bowl. He is now my biggest WLS supporter!

dc6ag46ol9x5.jpg

Rob

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Mango: It definitely is a new learning curve for sure. I still get a doggy bag to go and make that another meal. I still have issues with throwing away good food and probably always will. Grew up hungry a lot of the time.
    Rob: I do the same thinking its only two more times. Yep two too many. lol Still have to consciously make that choice at almost every meal. But at least I am making the right choice most days. :)
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When I eat mindfully, I am able to stop at "kind of full". When I am not paying attention, I can get to "full", but very rarely get to "too full". I am not able yet to quit at "no longer hungry"--- for some reason in my crazy brain that = dieting/deprivation. The good news is that when I am eating with awareness, I prefer to finish my meal feeling light and just satisfied instead of "gonna burst" full. :) Baby steps.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem--thank goodness we have 4 dogs! If we are out for a meal I do what Asia does and take a doggie bag hoe--there are times i can get 2 meals out of that bag!
  • mlomago19
    mlomago19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a NSV on just this the other day. I wanted a treat so I got one of those Mcdonalds Sundaes. I ate a few bites to satisfy the taste and threw the rest out. I NEVER would have thrown any out presurgery. This time the majority went in the trash. In the past I probably would have licked the bowl clean.
  • Thaeda
    Options
    mlomago19 wrote: »
    I had a NSV on just this the other day. I wanted a treat so I got one of those Mcdonalds Sundaes. I ate a few bites to satisfy the taste and threw the rest out. I NEVER would have thrown any out presurgery. This time the majority went in the trash. In the past I probably would have licked the bowl clean.

YAY!!! It feels good to take some power back, yes? :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I so do not like that "too full" feeling that I tend to undereat out. At home I am careful to measure to insure correct portion. But either way, when I feel like I need to burp, I'm done and I either box it, ask the wait staff to take it or at home, throw it out ot put it away. IIt did take me awhile to not feel guilty for throwing out food, even just a couple of bites. And I've found that if I sit there with food in front of me I tend to pick at it, eating more than I wanted. That's one bad habit I haven't broken but have found a way to control by just boxing or throwing it out right away. Oh the things we learn when we "mindfully eat" and pay attention.
    26197638.png
  • Thaeda
    edited October 2014
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I so do not like that "too full" feeling that I tend to undereat out....Oh the things we learn when we "mindfully eat" and pay attention.
    [/url]

I tend to undereat when I eat out too.... interesting. Also, mindful eating is SO crucial in this journey, at least it is for me. Mindlessness and food is not a good thing for me!
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This one is so hard for me- I grew up hungry a lot and wasting food gives me a lot of anxiety. I'm learning to take less, and not give my family a hard time if something does get tossed. I have a lot of guilt over wasted food- either by eating more then I need and making less available for someone else, or by not eating and risking hunger later.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Homer> I have the same issues, thou never I take much smaller portions and I always take a doggie(Tracy) bag to go. lol
    Pat> I totally agree with the sitting and picking even if I am full, so when I am home I finish my meal and get away from the table and start to tidy up the kitchen to remove myself from the temptation. Still drives my husband crazy. lol
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    At home, my dog gets the benefit. When I'm out...I just pick off everybody else's plate. Ordering for myself is a waste of money.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You GO girlie! Our bodies are not the garbage disposal! I've also learned to eat about half of my mini portion and STOP. In 5 or 10 minutes I may go back for a bite or two, but often not, especially if it's a hot dish gone cold. I'm way more comfortable in the long run!
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My biggest NSV lately has been throwing away food or leaving food on the plate at the restaurant. Perfectly healthy food, i.e. the last 4 baked chips in a snack bag, the last bites of the ceasar side salad, half a small wendys chili. Stopping eating when i am no longer hungry and before a feeling of fullness occurs. i notice more and more that this is about 10 bites slowly consumed. i am beginning to prefer not feeling full after eating. if someone told me a year ago that i would no longer feel the urge to clean my plate or not bother with a go box, i would have laughed in their face.

Love it!!! Great NSV!!!!

Totally understand it too. I grew up in a very poor household. We were taught to eat everything on your plate because there were times we didn't know when would eat again. It's taken a lot for me to break this thought process.

Congrats!!
  • freedomfighter1
    freedomfighter1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    When I eat mindfully, I am able to stop at "kind of full". When I am not paying attention, I can get to "full", but very rarely get to "too full". I am not able yet to quit at "no longer hungry"--- for some reason in my crazy brain that = dieting/deprivation. The good news is that when I am eating with awareness, I prefer to finish my meal feeling light and just satisfied instead of "gonna burst" full. :) Baby steps.

Ditto. I still have a hard time sometimes, after 1 year post op, to not empty my small portion even when I notice I'm satisfied. It's like that "kind of full feeling" gives me comfort! I hardly ever over eat, but I like feeling kind of full.. I find myself thinking I need to eat enough in order to feel fuller for longer, otherwise I may want to eat again in an hour or so. I want to get better at this! Help..
  • Thaeda
    edited November 2014
    Options

Ditto. I still have a hard time sometimes, after 1 year post op, to not empty my small portion even when I notice I'm satisfied. It's like that "kind of full feeling" gives me comfort! I hardly ever over eat, but I like feeling kind of full.. I find myself thinking I need to eat enough in order to feel fuller for longer, otherwise I may want to eat again in an hour or so. I want to get better at this! Help..

Well fear of hunger is something that can lead us to eat more than we need. Dealing with fear of hunger-- means being hungry-- feeling the feelings that come with that-- and realizing that hunger is no reason to panic. It is survivable. :) It is manageable-- it does not result in the world collapsing-- it also does not result in overeating. I say to myself " I can trust my body. I can trust myself. When I get hungry, I will eat something-- but there is no need for me to overeat right now because i might get hungry later." In the past i have packed food in my purse or have stuff at my desk (e.g. nuts, cheese sticks, etc) to calm any anxiety I might have about being hungry later and not having anything to eat.

For me, this fear is very young. My mom was always on a diet, so the rest of us were, too. I never could predict when I would/wouldn't get enough to eat and I had a lot of anxiety around food. Sometimes I still do, but I am getting there. ;) Most importantly I am learning my body will not betray me. If I listen to the physical cues, I will not gain 100 pounds back. My body is not the enemy--it will not lie, and will not lead me astray. I just have to learn to listen well.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    My body is not the enemy--it will not lie, and will not lead me astray. I just have to learn to listen well.

What an interesting way of looking at it, Thaeda. Thanks!

• authorwriter
    Options
    It's weird to me that NOT wondering when and what I'll eat has been a weird adjustment with all this. I'll get hungry, but if food's not available, I might get grumpy, but it's not the end of the world. So that's very strange. I also find that when I get hungry, I just want food, because I have to stop the hunger, so I'll start looking for a Chipotle, or a place where I can get some jerky or something. My husband gets all happy to hear I'm hungry and starts looking for a restaurant. If we go that route and they put out a bread basket, I have a piece of bread and I don't want dinner. Why? Because I was hungry and I needed to eat something, not sit in a restaurant and wait for service. And I'm generally annoyed because eating the bread means there's protein or calcium I couldn't eat.

Yes, I've gotten so strange since this surgery. So now I keep a couple of meat sticks in my purse and pick off my husband's plate if he wants to go to a restaurant.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Authorwriter...I was just wondering how you go about this in a restaurant?
    I had posted a thread about eating out after having surgery and I got some great suggestions but Ive noticed your post a couple times about going out to eat.
    So, I was wondering, how does that happen when you go sit at a table and the waitress comes to take your order?
    What do you say or what do you do?
    Do you ask for an empty plate or how do you eat from your husbands food?
    How do you go about tipping?
    Do you figure in what the cost of a plate of food would be and add that into your total?
    Kind of like when we go to eat and we have a BOGO coupon or (for example) a $10 coupon, we figure in what the tip would be based on the deal and put that towards their tip.
    :smile:
  • authorwriter
    Options
    The tip is based on the amount of the bill. Just because I'm sitting with my husband does not obligate me to eat. I'm not ordering two meals for half the price. He's ordering one meal. I don't ask for my own plate. When I say I pick off his plate, I mean I literally take a forkful here and there. Same thing when I go out with husband and kids. Haven't been out to eat with friends yet. It's not our typical socializing with friends.

Once, I had a waitress who kept asking why I hadn't touched my food. Kept saying things like, 'Not hungry?" or "just not into it, huh?" I finally told her I'd had surgery and the bread she'd brought out while I waited (and waited) for my meal filled me up, could she please bring me a box.

No, I didn't exactly say that. Just told her I'd filled up on the blueberry bread ahead and I'd had surgery and just didn't eat much. Plus, the food was kinda gross anyway.

No, I didn't say that either. :) Although it was true. Who knew I'd one day find Chompie's so disgusting?

I haven't had opportunity to pull out my little card yet, the one that says I had surgery so can I order off the kids' menu. I thought about it at an all you can eat buffet, but started feeling really self-concious, so we paid full price and I ate a single pancake. Well, half a single pancake.

This is why I don't bother with restaurants.