Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats weightliftingdiva! I am still at the beginning of the program but it is so exciting to see people's stories and know that it has happened. It gives me a little boast of confidence that in about 8 weeks I will be there with you. :wink:
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Ran another 5k today. Madison College Turkey Trot 28:12
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 1 of the 10kTrainer app (ZenLabs) the runs were tough. But doable. Clocking an average of 4.5miles per session. Starting Week 2 tonight.

@Upsaluki Congrats that's a good time. Finding the 10k training helping with you 5k times?
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished Week 1 of the 10kTrainer app (ZenLabs) the runs were tough. But doable. Clocking an average of 4.5miles per session. Starting Week 2 tonight.

@Upsaluki Congrats that's a good time. Finding the 10k training helping with you 5k times?

Definitely. I was able to shave a minute off my time in just over three weeks of extra training. The course was over grass and a lot more crowded also. I gutted my first race out, whereas in this one I was just running. The first race I faltered badly on the last mile.

I still have a lot to learn about running and racing too, like how to have some gas in the tank for that final kick at the end. Also, I need to figure out where to start in the race. It was chipped, so I got in the back and had a lot of walkers and other folks to pass. It took me about a half mile of weaving through people before it cleared out by people's pace.
  • Lavenda93
    Lavenda93 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Did w2d1 today, although I ran for 3:30s at the end without stopping, so I was wondering- do I need to finish week 2 or could I just move to week 3? Any answers will be really appreciated since I'm quite new to this. Thanks!
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Did Week 1 Day 1. I could have done it back to back at least twice after finishing, so I suppose I'm not such a "couch" starter. When they say couch, they must really mean people who have never even walked in their life... Didn't really feel good about the accomplishment since it was too easy. Hope that I don't lose motivation. :(
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Lavenda93 wrote: »
    Did w2d1 today, although I ran for 3:30s at the end without stopping, so I was wondering- do I need to finish week 2 or could I just move to week 3? Any answers will be really appreciated since I'm quite new to this. Thanks!

I think it you just work the program you'll have a better chance of avoiding injury or quitting. I finished it on my third try and the first two times I pretty much expected too much and tried to run faster than I needed to. Look at it like a long term commitment instead of 8-9 week, and just use this time to adjust to running. Go as slow as you need to and have fun!

• Lavenda93
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »

I think it you just work the program you'll have a better chance of avoiding injury or quitting. I finished it on my third try and the first two times I pretty much expected too much and tried to run faster than I needed to. Look at it like a long term commitment instead of 8-9 week, and just use this time to adjust to running. Go as slow as you need to and have fun!

[/quote]

I think I'll just continue with the programme since I kinda had a lil bit of difficulty doing the 3:30s at d end. It should give me time to build my endurance too. Thanks alot! :)
  • Lavenda93
    Options
    @upsaluki
    I think I'll just continue with the program since I kinda had a lil bit of difficulty doing the 3:30s at d end. It should give me time to build my endurance too. Thanks alot! :)
  • Lavenda93
    Options
    Sorry! I dont know how to quote a post. Neither do I know how to remove or edit one!
    Anyway, @upsaluki congrats on your run. And good time too!
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D1 this weekend. I am feeling much more confident this time around.

Precious--are you/were you pretty physically fit before you started this program? What other types of exercise do you do?

Lavenda--just be aware the more running can stress your muscles and joints if they are not ready for it and cause shin splints or other overwork injuries. If I felt that way at the end (I really wish I did, so I am a little jealous :smile: ), I would try biking or rowing (or maybe swimming except I am truly horrible at swimming). Something lower impact but still good at helping to build endurance for later. Just my two cents.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Did Week 1 Day 1. I could have done it back to back at least twice after finishing, so I suppose I'm not such a "couch" starter. When they say couch, they must really mean people who have never even walked in their life... Didn't really feel good about the accomplishment since it was too easy. Hope that I don't lose motivation. :(

The first four weeks aren't all that demanding from a CV fitness perspective, but they do help your joints and muscles to adapt to the stresses of running. That reduces your risk of injuring yourself further down the line.

To give yourself a bit more challenge pick up your pace in the run intervals.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Woke up at 5:30 this morning to run. It was still dark and spooky... An old lady in white night gown slowly drifting to her mailbox almost gave me a heart attack. Squeaking swings were not encouraging either... Not sure if I want to repeat it. So it's dark before I go to work and it's dark after I come back. Hmmm, should I quit running or should I get fired?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Woke up at 5:30 this morning to run. It was still dark and spooky... An old lady in white night gown slowly drifting to her mailbox almost gave me a heart attack. Squeaking swings were not encouraging either... Not sure if I want to repeat it. So it's dark before I go to work and it's dark after I come back. Hmmm, should I quit running or should I get fired?

Don't quit running! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Dealt with the dark yesterday too. Got home from work it was already dark out (5:15pm!) Geared up for my run. Attached a clip on light to my SPI Belt, and let it light the path in front of me. It bounce around a good bit, and then I decided to just hold it in my hand, that worked out pretty well, it's small and light so it wasn't much of an issue.
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Did weeks 2 day 1 today! I was so scared to do it. I finished the first interval. it was difficult but manageable and I figured there would be no way I could finish the rest.. but I did! Finished my 1st mile in 14.44 which is faster than i have been able to do in a long time. I think my fastest ever was like 14 and that was on a treadmill. I wasn't going for speed.. I actually jog pretty slow (because of all your lovely recommendations) ANYWAY. Just really proud of myself.
  • upsaluki
    Options

Haha. Thanks. Best chuckle of the day. 8) I'm going to to have to figure out what to do about running too. Now that my runs are longer they are starting to cut into my work day.

• upsaluki
    Options
    Did weeks 2 day 1 today! I was so scared to do it. I finished the first interval. it was difficult but manageable and I figured there would be no way I could finish the rest.. but I did! Finished my 1st mile in 14.44 which is faster than i have been able to do in a long time. I think my fastest ever was like 14 and that was on a treadmill. I wasn't going for speed.. I actually jog pretty slow (because of all your lovely recommendations) ANYWAY. Just really proud of myself.
    Way to go! Keep it up.
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @snbouchard81 - A few years ago I actually use to walk / run a lot. Just a few months ago I bike, at least 10 miles a day. So yeah, I'm not exactly a sofa potato.
    @MeanderingMammal - I only have jog intervals, but I get what you're saying.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal - I only have jog intervals, but I get what you're saying.

Run/ walk intervals. That's how the plan works to develop your capacity.

I used to use a fast finish approach, so my later run intervals were faster than the early ones.