Protein Shakes

Options
I am currently in month 4 of a 6 month weight loss program before my surgery. My nutritionist reccomended I invest in a protein powder. I am looking for something that is tasty and bearable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know everyone's oppinion is different but I just would like to hear everyone's thought. I like the Body by Vi (Visalus) Shake but it is quite expensive. So expense is an issue as well.....Tasty and Cheap. Thanks ahead of time for your advice!!

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use GNC 100% whey for my basic flavors (chocolate and vanilla). I also bought Unjury unflavored and Syntrax Roadside Lemonade.

Other than some issues adding them to hot liquids, I haven't had a problem with any of them.

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I prefer Syntrax Nectar. The Cappiccino is my favorite but the Vanilla Bean is also really good. I use the same brand as an unflavored and haven't had an issue adding to hot or cold.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I love the Cellucor Cinnamon Swirl and Peanut Butter Marshmallow.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like the Unjury unflavored with Crystal Light. And the Unjury chocolate splendor in milk tastes like chocolate milk. I also added that to sugar free vanilla pudding and it turned to chocolate flavored pudding.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein found in my local grocery stores (on sale $20 for a huge container).
    I will be starting on wk 3 Fri and Im not even 1/2 done.
    I have a sensitive nose for "vitamin" or medicine smelling stuff and a bad gag reflux so I was happy that this brand worked for me.
    The vanilla is mild in flavor so when I was able to incorporate banana as my 1st fruit, I started adding in a bit of that #1 for some added protein #2 for added flavor.
    The chocolate has more flavor so just like the vanilla, I add in PB2 for extra protein.
    Right now Im trying to find creative ways to get in even the smallest bit of "extra" protein here and there.
    I don't seem to be a very good "patient" for having a high tolerance for redundant things, eating the same thing(s) all the time day in and day out.
    Last Fri I graduated to softly cooked dried beans and peas (of course cooked w/out added fat(s) ) with a cautionary notice of possible abdominal/gas pains.
    I searched for what had the highest protein so I cooked up black beans in broth for flavor.
    1/4 c has 9 protein which is good...unlike the other day when I had 1 tsp of peaches in sugar free syrup and when I logged it there was nothing in a whole cup :anguished:
    These are the kinds of things I have to pay attention to, filling my stomach w/ quality foods!
    I know there will be a time when Ill be able to incorporate foods that don't have a lot if any protein in them but for right now, while my food choices are still on the low end of the scales, I want to 1st fill up on high quality options.
    It will definitely be a relief when Im 3 months out and have a wider range of choices!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I use GNC wheybolic 60. I love the chocolate, it mixed with 1/3 milk and 2/3 water tastes like a yoohoo.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like the unjury brand, but I would be wary of investing too much before surgery. Tastes definitely change after surgery.
  • hruskainprague
    hruskainprague Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used Chike Protein Powder in all flavors for Pre-VSG and 2 months Post-Op. at around $35 per huge jar and required by my Bariatric Physician for 3 months AND sold by them in their 'In House/office Store' of course.

Now, 3 1/2 months Post-Op, I am using Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein (sold at the 'big box stores') @ $19 per huge jar and it tastes great (better than Chike to me), with more flavors available, almost the same Carb/fat/protein/sugars.

• MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks everyone!
  • ericadouglas0412
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

seriously, the PB one tastes like a reece's cup. so good.
  • garber6th
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »

seriously, the PB one tastes like a reece's cup. so good.

Sometimes I will add some PB2 to it as well (because there is no such thing as too much peanut butter) and that is really good too!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Does anyone recommend a particular blender? Mine just broke and I am looking at getting one that works directly with blender-type bottles so I can make a shake on the run. Like the Ninja or Bullet but Hamilton also makes one.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have tried both the ninja and bullet and would not recomend either. Both broke w/ in the year. I would stick w/ a heavy duty blender and just use disposible cups to pour it in. I have a vitamix and it is a beast, it blasts through any thing and if you are looking for a truely smooth shake, you cant go wrong.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I really can't remember what the name of mine is, but it's a really small food processor that has one of those imersion blender attachments, so you can blend in the container you want it in. I also have a really small regular blender, holds only 12 ounces. It's really convenient and easy clean and frankly I use this one more.
  • garber6th
    Options
    My friend gave me a magic bullet. It works well when I make protein drinks with just powder and almond milk, but if I add fruit, usually banana, it doesn't completely blend it, it leaves some small lumps.