Question on how this works...

Options
loves86
loves86 Posts: 88 Member
I have my calories set based on TDEE-15%, I get that I don't enter in my exercise calories anymore (not sure how I feel about it, just because I like knowing how much I burn from my HRM and putting it in to MFP, but I'll deal)

BUT I also have a FitBit, and since it adds in calories based on my activity level, etc, does that matter? Do I eat based on that number each day, or based on the TDEE-15%.

I like my fitbit, I like seeing my calories/steps/active minutes/distance, but I'm wondering if I should keep it separated from MFP?

Am I over thinking all of this? It seems like it should be simple enough, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to leave my FitBit UNsynced from MFP. I just let the two operate independently. I average my FitBit TDEE over time to get my average TDEE, then work off of that number and set my daily goals in MFP (either TDEE or TDEE - 10 or 15%).

When the two are synced, FitBit will continuously adjust your daily intake goals based on how active you are. It is easy enough just to ignore these adjustments and mentally keep your daily calorie goal, but it gets a bit more tedious when it messes with your Macros (then you have to start doing math : -)

When you keep the two independent, you can just average your FitBit TDEE over time, and then use this number to go into MFP and set your daily goals (using the Custom tab).

You can continue to log your exercise here on MFP, just so that you have a record of your exercise activity, but if you simply adjust the "calories burned" to "1", then it won't mess with your daily intake goals, and that number will continue to stay consistent...

Hope that helps...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To the above great advice, you do need to also manually enter in Fitbit any exercise that is not step based - or else you actually aren't getting a good TDEE figure, but one already underestimated.

And trying to take a reasonable deficit off a TDEE that is already underestimated perhaps by big amount, now you don't have reasonable deficit again.

But you do that on Fitbit directly for like swimming, biking, rowing, elliptical, stairs, ect.
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ok thank you guys so much!!! im going to un-sync the two, and just keep them separate!