jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
Chat Chat Chat...here we go, folks!

:agree:

Jean

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I am excited I get to start in on the Silver Sneakers program this month!!! Free rec center admission, woot woot. Finally seeing a few up sides to getting older. Anyone else have the Silver Sneakers benefit with their medicare advantage program?

I also bought a fishing pool and license ($1 for seniors) today and my sister showed me how to practice casting, so hopefully I will be able to catch some free dinners soon.

Luckily we had a mob of kids at the front door last night, so the Halloween candies are all gone. I grabbed 2 of the single almond joys, and enjoyed every bite the rest went away with the wee ones. It was a lovely night and so everyone was out enjoying it.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Smiley13.gifWelcome back to the world of standard time, everyone...those of us in Arizona have missed you. :D
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have that or not. I should write myself a note to look into it. It sure would be nice!
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Managed to get thru Halloween without any candy, had company for dinner last night and kept to my plan. Hope to log in everyday this month and to keep to my eating plan. :D
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I have had a couple of weeks with little time to be here. I am back, hopefully much more consistently again. :|
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Wooken3 wrote: »
    Smiley13.gifWelcome back to the world of standard time, everyone...those of us in Arizona have missed you. :D

I wish we didn't change time - I hate this. It was initiated in World War I, I think we are past that.

On a lighter note; three years ago i bought some pants on sale, all sales final kind of thing. Brought them home and tried (key word is tried) to put them on and they didn't even get to my hips. I was searching for warm clothes (because in Florida we dropped down to 40 degrees) and pulled these pants right on, zipped them up and they are a little loose. made my whole weekend. I know I haven't lost that much, but I have lost inches. Sure gave me inspiration!

• jeanmrob
    Options
    Been back to the gym today for the first time in a month..so happy to be able to get back to exercising again

Jean
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Wooken3 wrote: »

I wish we didn't change time - I hate this. It was initiated in World War I, I think we are past that.

On a lighter note; three years ago i bought some pants on sale, all sales final kind of thing. Brought them home and tried (key word is tried) to put them on and they didn't even get to my hips. I was searching for warm clothes (because in Florida we dropped down to 40 degrees) and pulled these pants right on, zipped them up and they are a little loose. made my whole weekend. I know I haven't lost that much, but I have lost inches. Sure gave me inspiration!

Love it when that happens :) Always a delightful event having such a NSV!
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Deb congrats on the pants! Isn't it great to be able to get into something you could not wear? I think I dimly remember the feeling.

Bought my dh and myself a little notebook and put it on the dining table next to our places. He is GOING to check his blood sugar every morning and I am going to do it with him! Also going to record my daily weight, both there and here.

Still doing well on the exercise. I am hoping to add one more lap to my mall walk before the month is over which will bring it up to 2.25 miles there plus my other steps. That 50,000 steps a day I am aiming for is a LONG way away but I am making proggress. Are other people counting steps?

• debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    Deb congrats on the pants! Isn't it great to be able to get into something you could not wear? I think I dimly remember the feeling.

Bought my dh and myself a little notebook and put it on the dining table next to our places. He is GOING to check his blood sugar every morning and I am going to do it with him! Also going to record my daily weight, both there and here.

Still doing well on the exercise. I am hoping to add one more lap to my mall walk before the month is over which will bring it up to 2.25 miles there plus my other steps. That 50,000 steps a day I am aiming for is a LONG way away but I am making proggress. Are other people counting steps?

WOW - 50,000 steps is a lot of steps. I feel lucky when I hit 10,000. Great idea with the notebook, I might have to steal it and talk my husband into doing the same thing. congrats on the 2.25 miles, that is a good healthy walk.
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Wow that is indeed a lot of steps....... I usually hit 10,000...the last couple of days I have hit 16,000...... maybe I should be aiming for 20,000 but I would be walking all day long.....good luck and let us know how you are progressing!

Jean
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I average 15,000 steps a day, but my job is pretty active. Of course, most of those aren't cardio miles. Have never done much more than 22,000 in a day total. 50,000 is about 25 miles a day! That is a lot of walking. Good luck. I can't do that.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Looks like everyone survived Halloween. I had a small Snickers at my kids'. That was it. No candy at home. I went there. We don't get any kids anymore anyway. Neighborhood has gotten too old.

I will miss daylight savings time. Dark on the way to work. Dark on the way home. Not much sun in between. But, hey, April is just around the corner, isn't it?

Great NSV, Deb. The truth is in the inches!

Welcome back JB. Have missed you.

I'm not on Silver Sneakers, yet, but I will when I qualify as it will save me $$$ I spend now on membership. Our community center gym is full of Silver Sneaker members. That is why I always am surprised when people worry about being out of place at gyms. Heck, if they accept Silver Sneakers, the young people are the minority. Not only does SS give them full access to the gym, workout area and pools, they also have classes almost daily only for SS members! Plus, I think it is good when you travel, too, isn't it? I think you can visit any SS participating workout center.

I had an awful October for weight loss. November will be better. Already is.

I worked at the polls yesterday. I've only missed a few primaries or general elections in the 20 years I've been doing it. Was a good long day. We have to be there at 5:30 a.m. and don't finish until 8:30 p.m. We only get an hour for lunch. But it is fun especially since I was stationed at a senior assisted-living facility. Lots of great residents and lots of nice neighbors. Good day! Another short week next week as we will have off for Veterans' Day.

Oh, funny story. Yesterday the person working the poll books looked at someone's driver's license for i.d. and said, "Oh, you will expire next week!" The poor man didn't know whether to laugh or worry!

My goal for November is to relax more. Not as far as having fun or reading, etc. - I always do that -- but in real, controlled relaxation through breathing and clearing my mind. I want to sign up for Tai Chi. Started doing a little meditation/breathing - 3 days a week @ 5 minutes a session with a health program phone coach. It is part of my Thrive On Wellness program (when we complete 100 points, we get $100 gift card. Yaw-Hoo!) Want to eventually try to work up to 10 minutes everyday.

And have cut back to a moderate level with cardio exercise. My obsession with cardio was getting out of hand. Everything in moderation, right? 45 minutes of cardio a day -- no more than 60 minutes. I will take off one day a week (or try to). I will continue stretching and strength workouts. I will continue to try to keep to 1200 calories a day. Also want to continue to try to get more sleep. Not doing too good with that one.

I do think that the cutting back of the cardio has helped kick-start my weight loss again. Everything I have been reading lately made me wonder if the water retention and the weight gains weren't from too much cardio. Especially now when the weather is not good enough to go outside and break it up. Also, heart articles were saying too much isn't good, either. Everything I read seems to put 45 minutes at the optimum level for heart, health, and weight loss. Makes it more manageable, too. I was running out of time in the evenings. I can't start until about 6. As it is, even with 45 minutes, I'm at the gym at least 1 1/2 hours with the other stuff, too! That's before I even get any dinner!

Well, I've gotta go! Have a great November! We can do this! Already dreaming of my November 27th cheat day! Hmmmmm, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, bread, pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce. I'm not a turkey lover, but even it is good one day a year! Best is the family will all be together along with in-laws and extended family!

Kudos to you all. You inspire me!
    Charlie

56604121.png

• learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Lost 2 pounds this weigh in. Thrilled about that. Deb, GREAT NEWS on the pants!
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    WTG losers and new clothes wearers! woohoo-022.gif
    Before I got sick, I was walking an average of about 17-18,000 steps a day - no day less than 15,000 -one almost 25,000 - and about 70+ active minutes. I'm slowly working at it again, up to 7,000 not so fast steps a day.... mostly just to keep my muscles notified that I will expect them to work again in the near future.

This sucks - just don't bounce back as quickly as I did 30 years ago <sigh>
  • IndianaPapaw
    IndianaPapaw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Down to 217 this AM. That is down 19 lbs since I started with MFP almost two months ago. Down from 251 last May. Going back to Dr. next week for regular checkup. Anxious to see how my bloodwork has changed. I've been trying to walk 1.5 - 2.0 miles a day. Rainy days are a bummer. All of your success stories are a real encouragement. Thanks.
  • Aug312014
    Aug312014 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great post G.Charile; I think I'd like to try Tai Chi. I hadn't heard of Silver Sneakers. Maybe when I start Medicare in 2 years I will be eligible for that. Proud of everyone here. Have a great week.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I got to the gym today - did some circuit training, elliptical, a little swimming and - ahhhh - the steam room. It all felt so good. I have been so busy lately I have not been able to get to the gym as often as I would like. I am striving to change that and get there 2 or 3 times each week.

Our weather has turned chilly so it is not as inviting to go outside walking, but I have been doing it anyway. It now requires a jacket, hat and gloves but out I go. Tonight it is raining but, since I have dogs, I'll be out there. My dear husband has already been out in the rain with them three times today, so it's my turn. o:)

Like Charlie, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving - but I don't feel very confident about cheating. Maybe a visit to the gym on Thanksgiving morning will earn me a few more available calories for the day! By then I should be in good enough shape that I can really get in a vigorous workout.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Update: If you wait long enough, you don't have to walk dogs in the rain. By the time I took them out, it was lightly snowing! Always exciting, the first snow.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ah - that first snow. So pretty, so crisp. I remember!
    I also remember the 100th snow of the season - uck LOL. (we're having a cold spell in our neck of the woods & it's only going to get to 68 degrees today :sunglasses: )