• ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    @Charlie - wish my body had read this when it reached age 60 :lol:
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So, I guess at 110 years old, we will be back to where we were at 25! I will have to work on patience! :s
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ... Body weight increases until you reach age 60, when it begins to decline."

I don't think I had ever read this before as far as the doubling goes. However, look at it this way folks, we are at least in the "decline" stage! :)

• mxchana
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is good news, that a natural weight loss goes in our favor! It puts a positive spin on the phrase, "over the hill." ;)

My goals are figured on the basis of losing 10% of my weight at a time. (My next 10% mark is 183 and I am very close to it. I'm so close, I just ordered my reward for the next goal: an immersion blender.) I like to do it that way because, in my experience, it gets harder to lose as one's weight goes down. So each new goal will be proportionately fewer pounds, also. It makes it easier for me to stay encouraged along the way.

73739389.png
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I saw the remarks about muscle loss and aging and this article that I read recently sprang to mind http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/are-aging-muscles-why-youre-tired-all-time-and-gaining-weight. I spent 30+ years in the field as a home health nurse and I can tell you that I have seen amazing results with patients who actually took the programs of their physical and occuptional therapists seriously!! And of course not only does building muscle diminish the effects of aging, a pound of muscle at rest also burns something like three times as much as a pound of fat! And if that were not enough, its just so darn easy to toss my yoga mat on the floor in front of the TV in the evening. I really believe you can never have a complete program without aerobic, anaerbic, and stretching and that they are more important as we age!!!

As far as goals go for today, I just want to get back to point zero!!! crappy steroids anyway!!!
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    off topic, but........ I'm heading to Wisconsin in the morning. Weather (and holiday craziness) will only get worse, so I figured it was as good a time as any. I'm leaving from the lake house, which saves me more than an hour - partly because I don't drive well at night and the hours of daylight are getting *really* short!

Hoping to put eleven to twelve hours in on the road tomorrow, which will leave me eight or so on Tuesday. And yup, no internet, no tv, no wifi where I'm headed :disappointed: - other than picking up some free wifi here and there.

I'm planning to be there no more than three (four if required) days to finish up my part of getting Mom's house cleared out and ready for sale. The best part is... I'll get to go see Mom!

So, I won't be able to play in the forums or weigh in this week. Y'all behave now, you hear?

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MSN-Emoticon-062.gif
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    ker95texas wrote: »
    off topic, but........ I'm heading to Wisconsin in the morning. Weather (and holiday craziness) will only get worse, so I figured it was as good a time as any.

love-u-mom-smiley-emoticon.gif Off to see Mom...what fun!!

Be careful out there as that part of the country has really been getting some winter weather. You may have to consider another form of transportation as you get further North.

animated-driving-smiley-image-0022.gif.........I'm just saying...
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Ker:

It's Chat. Nothing is off topic here! I agree you need to be careful and dress warm. Glad you will get to see your mom and you will get the house sale ready to go. Both of those things will be good for you and give you some peace of mind. Hug your mom for all of us!

Charlie
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was on vacation last week and didn't log in, but just reviewing messages etc. Kind of proud of myself, didn't put on a single ounce during vacation. Of course, my husband walks everywhere and I had to keep up with him, so I think that is the reason. I did try to maintain a healthy diet, only one or two small infractions. ;) We had a great time and not gaining weight made it even better.
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You guys are certainly inspiring and I vaquely remember how good I feel when I'm working my program! I need to get going. I had endocarditis a year ago and one of the meds affected my balance. Although I've only gained 10 or 12 pounds since that happened (losing that seems doable), it's not exercising that's making me look and feel about 20 pounds heavier - and that fat is NOT settling in good places.

My balance has improved quite a bit on its own. At this point I'm using it as an excuse because "I don't feel like it" and "it's too hard". I just can't seem to move off ground zero - even though I log into MFP frequently and vow to get going.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post how negative I'm being :) But, well, that's my update.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    Options
    JoanLovell wrote: »
    You guys are certainly inspiring and I vaquely remember how good I feel when I'm working my program! I need to get going. I had endocarditis a year ago and one of the meds affected my balance. Although I've only gained 10 or 12 pounds since that happened (losing that seems doable), it's not exercising that's making me look and feel about 20 pounds heavier - and that fat is NOT settling in good places.

My balance has improved quite a bit on its own. At this point I'm using it as an excuse because "I don't feel like it" and "it's too hard". I just can't seem to move off ground zero - even though I log into MFP frequently and vow to get going.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post how negative I'm being :) But, well, that's my update.

Joan:
    you can do this - start slow and build up. Even just walking a little will help you with your balance. 10 - 12 lbs, psshhh - piece of cake. Let's go...... I do hope you are feeling better and once you get moving again that will really help.
  • mxchana
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was on vacation last week... Kind of proud of myself, didn't put on a single ounce during vacation.

Deb, that's a real achievement - kudos!

• mxchana
    Options
    JoanLovell wrote: »
    You guys are certainly inspiring and I vaguely remember how good I feel when I'm working my program! I need to get going...

Joan, I see it as just being honest about where you are ... and I think this is certainly the place for realism. It's great that you gained back so little over that period of time. That in itself is encouraging. You can do it!

• JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I did a little stability ball stuff with weights yesterday so that was a start. I ate too much but recorded everything -- that was huge! Staying aware is really key for me -- one of the reasons I love MFP. Thanks again!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Great to catch up with you all......we all need a bit of general encouragement to keep us on track and in a positive frame of mind...nowhere better than here! <3

Jean

39843441.png
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Finally done getting Mom settled into a nursing home, I have two sisters who are also in this area, one works where Mom will be living. A lot of work, she is a packrat, so tons of junk to go through, plus sorting out what she would really need. I guess all that hard work payed off, eat whatever was available when it was available, and still lost over a lb.

I'll be around for the rest of this week then off for 10 days, taking a vacation to a warm beach area!!!
  • mxchana
    Options
    Finally done getting Mom settled into a nursing home, I have two sisters who are also in this area, one works where Mom will be living...

I'll be around for the rest of this week then off for 10 days, taking a vacation to a warm beach area!!!

Sounds like a well-deserved reward! It's wonderful that your sister works in the facility; that's a great advantage.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    Options
    Finally done getting Mom settled into a nursing home, I have two sisters who are also in this area, one works where Mom will be living. A lot of work, she is a packrat, so tons of junk to go through, plus sorting out what she would really need. I guess all that hard work payed off, eat whatever was available when it was available, and still lost over a lb.

That is a lot of work and so stressful. Had to move my Mom to an alzheimers unit a few years ago - I was amazed at what she had packed away. nice that you have family for help and support
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    It seems to be a reoccuring theme for people our age. Mom's in assisted living or nursing homes. I went through it in my 30s, but I was a very late child. It is difficult to suddenly have to be the "mom." It also leaves us feeling like orphans.

It is wonderful that you are taking such good care of her and making sure she is safe.
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Deb, congrats on not gaining anything while on vacation!!! That is always deserving of a huge pat on the back.

Joan, the fact that you are in here talking to us is a good sign! Here are two of my tricks that help me to climb back up on the wagon. If I have slipped on the logging and or eating correctly (that is my worst, getting back into exercise is a bit easier for me) I force myself to log everything for 3 days. For some reason, if I can do it for 3 days I will start to either get ticked off at myself for how far off I am or my subconscious will take over and start pulling me back into line. As for the exercise, I remember something I was told MANY years ago by a PT. When you establish an exercise program,
    first focus on frequency, then duration, then intensity. So, if I am completely off the wagon I tell myself I have to do SOMETHING for ten minutes every day for the first week! Within a few days 10 minutes seems silly and I am walking for 20 and walking my way back to the exercise trail. And I offer these little tidbits because I have been on and off that wagon so much I consider myself to be a frigging expert at this point!

Janet